My UGLY Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Everybody always posts photos of fine looking guns, so I though it was time for something
different.
A little background, I bought this at a police auction for a huge sum of $106.00, I should
have taken pictures before it was cleaned up. As most know the internals of these are mostly
stainless steel and once most of the crud was cleaned off it looks like it wasn't fired much.
Maybe somebody kept it in the bottom of a fishing tackle box or something.
The thing shoots and functions just fine, I've put about 400 rounds through it
with no issues what so ever. Based on it's looks I had my doubts.
I might actually leave it "as is", draws interesting comments.
Anyway just something different.
Dave

Yawn

Blackhawk
Well, I think the P series guns are ugly clean, so... Well... Yes, yours isn't the nicest I have seen. Amazing Price for a reliable shooting P series though!

Tallbald

Buckeye
Beautiful gun with a story. I'd keep her the same too. Congratulations on a working, useful conversation piece.. Don.

Mike J

Hunter
If you got a functioning firearm for $106.00 I would say you done good. If you choose to clean it up there are several different ways you could go depending on how much time, or money you want to tie up in it. If you wanted to leave it as is I could understand that too.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Heh I love the fact it's still functioning apparently without problems. If ya decide to not bother with appearances maybe a quick pass at polishing up the internals and call it a day? you can actually do it by hand but obviously it takes a bit longer. I agree that the looks of the slide mean nothing to me either personally now. I learned that after putting my first scratch on my Glock and then freaking out about it. I now have specific "pretty guns" for that and no longer care one bit about blemishes that don't affect function on the others.

It's probably going to stay like it is except for the front sight. It's sorta mushed down on one side
and shoots a little high, think I'm changing it.
The picture doesn't really show how beat up it is, looks like the magazine base and forward end of
the frame may have been used as a hammer.
When I first got it a friend brought over a plastic bag with about 100 rounds of various .40
ammo, I swear there was not 3 a like in the bag. Loaded them all up at random and it just
ate em up. It's got about the worst ergonomics of any gun I've fired but it's built like
a little tank.
I really had no use for a clunky .40 cal pistol, but for the price I figured I could just play with it
or have it as a future project. Now I'm thinking I'll leave it alone, never know when you'll need
a spare hammer.
Dave

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Dave P. said:
I really had no use for a clunky .40 cal pistol, but for the price I figured I could just play with it
or have it as a future project. Now I'm thinking I'll leave it alone, never know when you'll need
a spare hammer.
Dave

While we will probably never know the full story of this gun, one thing is certain the original owner is probably someone we'd not want to have over for dinner. :D

demented

Single-Sixer
Throw it under a vehicle seat so it can live somewhere thats like home. I'd buy two or three just like it for what you paid, these days you can't even smell a working pistol for 100 bucks!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Be sure to keep an eye on Gunbroker and Fleabay for parts. Word on this forum is that factory parts and repairs for these guns is rapidly drying up.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I especially love the camouflage finish! people pay a lot of money for that option!
I still own the P85 I bought as soon as the stainless version hit the market.to this day it has NEVER malfunctioned and shoots better groups than I am capable of. it does however lack that "custom" look of your 40 caliber.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Al James said:
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the P94/944 is a good looking gun, unlike the other P's.

You really cut me deep there..... :lol:

No harm intended, but most P guns had unnecessary odd contours that break up the otherwise clean lines. The later P95 was the worst, it had that big ugly accessory rail just sort of slapped on as an afterthought and a weird slope on the muzzle end of the slide. It was about the most chunky "compact" pistol I've ever laid hands on. Unfortunately Sig Sauer seems to be heading in the same direction.

Al James

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
Al James said:
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the P94/944 is a good looking gun, unlike the other P's.

You really cut me deep there..... :lol:

No harm intended, but most P guns had unnecessary odd contours that break up the otherwise clean lines. The later P95 was the worst, it had that big ugly accessory rail just sort of slapped on as an afterthought and a weird slope on the muzzle end of the slide. It was about the most chunky "compact" pistol I've ever laid hands on. Unfortunately Sig Sauer seems to be heading in the same direction.

No harm I was just joking with you... :lol:

I do have to play my part as one of the resident P shooter fanbois though....just saying. :wink:

Koyote

Bearcat
Although now discontinued, I think my KP345PR is a thing of beauty and reliable! Lighter and narrower, then a 1911 which I could no longer handle due to age, my P345 fit my hand like a glove. Only pistols that have as nice a grip are my HK P30L and my Browning HP.
As for the UGLY Ruger owner...it looks like it has a lot of character and possibly some good stories behind it.
Put some notches into it and watch some interesting reactions :wink:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I agree, the P345 was a very nice gun with a good feel. I think it should have been the basis for a complete overhaul of the P series. By the time people started realizing how good it was Ruger was squirming to replace it with the SR series.