Ruger american 9mm guide rails ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostdog

Bearcat
Hello, I see 2 large guide rails on the frame [in the center] what are they made of? Aluminum ?
Thanks for reply.....

The Ruger American pistol features steel guide rails. They are actually part of a larger steel subassembly. Not just thin pieces of steel molded into polymer.

Screenshot_2016_02_06_06_35_05.png

Very similar to a Sig P250/320 no?

I feel that this is the best designed gun Ruger has produced thus far. I know they said they weren't competing in the military trials for the MHS17 (modular handgun contract) or whatever. But this design would be on the right track.

lostdog

Bearcat
I got to shoot one at our range, Very well made! With the large size of the guide rails I believe it will be a accurate gun for many years !

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I feel that this is the best designed gun Ruger has produced thus far. I know they said they weren't competing in the military trials for the MHS17 (modular handgun contract) or whatever. But this design would be on the right track.

Don't you think it's a little early to proclaim that... Given Ruger's track record with SA new releases ? They're barely in the public's hands at this point. I sure wouldn't be a beta tester with my own money. What are you basing that opinion on ? Ruger's press releases ?

REV

revhigh said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

Don't you think it's a little early to proclaim that... Given Ruger's track record with SA new releases ? They're barely in the public's hands at this point. I sure wouldn't be a beta tester with my own money. What are you basing that opinion on ? Ruger's press releases ?

REV

I should rephrase, I didn't mean it's the best gun Ruger makes, probably the best semi-auto pistol design.

My humble observation, really at this point, is based on technical data. Yes. I agree, it's probably too early to say. But We'll see the results that it yields. Given both the differences with this gun and the SR series, and the similarities with Sig, and from reviews on this gun (YouTube videos) from owners who have it, this looks promising. I'll have a chance to shoot one tomorrow. We'll see. Before I jump the gun. :p

Yawn

Blackhawk
DA... PLEASE PLEASE do a full write up and tell us your thoughts. I very interested to know of your experience. Having said that, I think the American started as a desig. For the military trials. Ruger saw the writing of the wall, and released it to the public.

There is another theory... Ruger appears to have taken to microsofts product strategy. The are copying a popular product, putting their spin on it, and stamping their brand to it to drive sales... Keeping there eye heavily on their brand to drive sales.

Yawn said:
DA... PLEASE PLEASE do a full write up and tell us your thoughts. I very interested to know of your experience. Having said that, I think the American started as a design for the military trials. Ruger saw the writing of the wall, and released it to the public.

There is another theory... Ruger appears to have taken to microsofts product strategy. The are copying a popular product, putting their spin on it, and stamping their brand to it to drive sales... Keeping there eye heavily on their brand to drive sales.

That is an excellent observation. I think you may be in the right direction on that.

By looking at the diagram, its almost exactly spec-per-spec what they (the military) were calling for.

I also find it interesting they didn't chamber one in .40... Is the writing on the walls for the future of that caliber too?

I'll try to post a detailed write-up for this and a range report on my redhawk from last weekend as well. Business is good. It's a good problem to have. Been staying very busy.

Yawn

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Yawn said:
DA... PLEASE PLEASE do a full write up and tell us your thoughts. I very interested to know of your experience. Having said that, I think the American started as a design for the military trials. Ruger saw the writing of the wall, and released it to the public.

That is an excellent observation. I think you may be in the right direction on that.

By looking at the diagram, its almost exactly spec-per-spec what they (the military) were calling for.

I also find it interesting they didn't chamber one in .40... Is the writing on the walls for the future of that caliber too?

I'll try to post a detailed write-up for this and a range report on my redhawk from last weekend as well. Business is good. It's a good problem to have. Been staying very busy.

Can't take credit for that thought... I knew something was odd, but couldn't put my finger on it. Rev actually initially said that and I had the same response that you did. Now it all made sense. If that is the case, I would expect this to be Very accurate.

I hope sig or that start up beat out beretta for the military trials.

Yawn said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Yawn said:

Can't take credit for that thought... I knew something was odd, but couldn't put my finger on it. Rev actually initially said that and I had the same response that you did. Now it all made sense. If that is the case, I would expect this to be Very accurate.

I hope sig or that start up beat out beretta for the military trials

Huge Sig fan here. I feel they got screwed over the first time around. But, ultimately Beretta offered a more inexpensive solution.

I really like all my P226 variations, and my Beretta 92fs as well.

lostdog said:
I got to shoot one at our range, Very well made! With the large size of the guide rails I believe it will be a accurate gun for many years !

I hope you're right! I love to see companies introduce a promising product. This is the first gun Ruger has introduced since the P90 that doesn't seem like a total joke...

Also look...
Sig 516 - Ruger SR556
Sig 716 - Ruger SR762

Now the Sig P320 and Ruger American.

Ruger does 1911s
Sig does 1911s

Sig expanded their variety, we see Ruger doing the same. .

Am I seeing a pattern emerging here?

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm not saying it'll be bad ... Just gotta wait and see. There's a helluva lot that goes into accuracy besides guide rails. I've never seen any Ruger 9mm compare even remotely to Sig or CZ 9mm's accuracy. Not even close. And DA you know I know what accuracy is ... And no matter the brand I'll say it if accuracy sucks. Think CZ40B....

If this thing was built for the govt tests, and then not even submitted ... There's areason, and any excuses and BS is just Ruger trying to save face. Its WAY TOO EARLY to proclaim the rap a success or failure from a gun point of view. Commercially .... I'm sure it will be good for Ruger if it's priced below the big name mainstream guns and the high end guns like Sig, CZ, and HK.

REV

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
This is what I was referring to earlier...

P1060300_900x600.jpg

The Ruger, however, also has a changeable grip (one of the MHS requirements)

Did you really buy that gay looking gun ? Not that theres anything wrong with gay guns .... :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
lostdog said:

I hope you're right! I love to see companies introduce a promising product. This is the first gun Ruger has introduced since the P90 that doesn't seem like a total joke...

Ooooh... I'd put the flame suit on pretty darn quick DA...

You know I agree completely.

REV

revhigh said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
This is what I was referring to earlier...

P1060300_900x600.jpg

The Ruger, however, also has a changeable grip (one of the MHS requirements)

Did you really buy that gay looking gun ? Not that theres anything wrong with gay guns .... :D

REV

I don't own a 320. Pic was posted for technical comparison. I don't think it looks that bad. I just don't need one. My P226s fill the gap excellently.