Ruger sr9 Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I shoot the sr9 and at 45 ft. two hand hold un-supported I can shoot a one hole group all day
I run into a problem at 25 yards same two hand hold set-up but I don't care for the sights on the ruger for distance shooting.
I can hold a 4" group but I would like to upgrade the sights for a better sight pictures.
I wonder if the Williams fiber optic sight set up would improve a better sight picture.?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Assuming your stated numbers are correct a 4 group at 25 yards out of an SR may be about as good as you could expect (or getting very close). That is very good shooting. If you wanted to go beyond this I would suggest taking the money you would have spent on sights and investing in a better gun.

I don't say this to knock Ruger at all, I love mine to death but would never expect a ragged hole at 25 yards with it. I've never tried it but I'd suspect I'd fail to accomplish this even if I bench rested my 40c.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Typical service semiautos (Ruger SRs and nearly everything else by every other maker) are doing well to group in 2-1/2" when shot from a solid rest or even a Ransom rest at 25 yards. Many won't do that well. Your hand-held 4" groups are very good.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I think the gun has potentials do it the only draw back is the striker fire system
(more like a two stage pull) compared to hammer and sear set up.
The rear sights on the sr9 are small sight radius is short compared to my 1911
like I say at 15 yards I can drop them into the same hole un supported two hand hold.
I will say with my 1911 same distance same hold 2 " all day or better

Newbs

Bearcat
I tried the Williams and LOVED it. I now have them on 3 SR's and a SRc. I shoot much tighter groups regardless of distance. No, they are not my S&W revolvers or 1911's but neither was the cost even with the sights. I shoot the SR's with the Williams better than any other striker fired gun I own or have shot. As a <$60 upgrade, I would recommend trying it. (Just a side note; my smith was impressed with Williams, and that's not easy to do)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Newbs said:
I tried the Williams and LOVED it. I now have them on 3 SR's and a SRc. I shoot much tighter groups regardless of distance. No, they are not my S&W revolvers or 1911's but neither was the cost even with the sights. I shoot the SR's with the Williams better than any other striker fired gun I own or have shot. As a <$60 upgrade, I would recommend trying it. (Just a side note; my smith was impressed with Williams, and that's not easy to do)

hummm. Your post got me to look into them. I am not sure if I'll do it for my Sr, maybe one day. While on the Williams site I did find something else I am very interested in. The Firesite Bead for my 870 shotgun. As it stands now I simply have the standard gold metal bead. I figure almost anything would be an improvement over that. And for only $19 bucks that's a great option. They have several other common makes covered as well. Thanks for the heads up.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I ordered a Hi Viz front sight similar to the Williams for my Glock 19. Mainly because it is taller than original so hopefully it will quit shooting high. The better visibility is an added bonus.