Boring old lube question for my P95 please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
OK this will likely rehash an old, likely boring question about cleaning and lubing my first polymer frame CCW.
It's my new-to-me P95 stainless.
Never owned my own polymer frame handgun. Always steel or at the least alloy fame and components. Yes I wonder about solvents melting or softening the polymer. Yes I wonder about the material interplay between polymer and steel with a lubricant interface. Here's the slippery selection I have right now:

Breakfree CLP
Remoil aerosol and liquid bottle dropper
WD-40
PB Blaster
Some generic gun oil that came with a kit dozens of years ago
Ballistol undiluted

Horror stories haunt me about polymer frame guns melting in a bucket of gasoline during lectures by "operators" training new owners. I'm not a chemist. Any short answers please?
Thanks. Don

joemsj51

Bearcat
Two really good ones there..... Breakfree CLP and Ballistol. Neither one will harm your pistol and because both work as CLPs, you may only desire to add some Tetra Grease (or similar) around the sliding components.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I like Hornady One Shot. Never had problem with it damaging the poly. Very slippery, excelent corrosion protection. Dries quickly to a dry film that won't attract contaminants, and makes cleaning easier.

I only use the CLP stuff.... don't really have any experience with the others.... I have read to stay away from grease. The P95 is so easy to break down and clean it seems there is no reason not to.... the exact opposite of my MKIII.....

joemsj51

Bearcat
You work the slide a half-dozen times using the proper amount of oil - then another half-dozen using the proper amount of Tetra synthetic grease.
You will feel and hear the difference. You will notice how much longer you can flawlessly work that action using Tetra.
Whomever(s) told you that is wrong.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Don, ask 10 different gun guys what the best thing is for cleaning and lubricating guns and you'll likely get 10 different answers. The fact is, you'd have to try pretty hard to hurt your gun. Pretty much any reputable gun cleaning and lubricating products will work. Don't lose sleep over it.

My understanding is that Hoppe's No. 9 gun oil is mineral oil. I'm also pretty sure that the major ingredient in Ballistol is also mineral oil. A tiny bit of it goes a long way.

Oh, and no, you probably don't want to dunk your gun in a pan of gasoline. :)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Delete WD-40. REM oil is very very thin, perhaps suitable for a shotgun or bolt action in a cold climate, but not really a good choice for your pistol. Break free CLP certainly reasonable, as is Balistol. Tetra gun Greece on the slide rails would also be nice.

Polymer has come a long way since the P95. The recipe blends used today are much stronger and versatile. Most of the pistol designs have improved since then as well. Most frames using molded in steel guide rails and newer models using full steel subassebly units with steel rails.

Lube has been the biggest concern for poly frame handguns for years.

Any good modern gun lube, should be safe in any modern gun. SHOULD be...

There is a foaming bore cleaner that I recently became familiar with...

Somehow some of it got on one of my P226 frames (alloy) chewed holes in the guide rails. Sig is working with me to get a new frame. This Incident voided the warranty but I may get a new frame transferred to me for little to no cost. Because they are genuinely trying to work with me.

After the incident, I researched this "foaming bore cleaner" seems it will liquify polymer.

Still not sure how it got on my frame...

Ok enough with that for now.

Buy a good gun lube! Your gun is that item that can be compared to a parachute. Don't go cheap. On the gun, the ammo, or the lube. How much is your life worth?

Edit to add..
Owning a wide variety of firearms, overall, Breakfree CLP is the lube most of them prefer, and hoppes #9 being the best overall bore cleaner.

JTQ

Bearcat
I'd take PB Blaster off the list too. One of their common ads shows the product disintegrating a styrofoam cup in quick order. Certainly a P95 frame is stronger than a styrofoam cup, but any product that advertises its' strength as something that eats stuff, is something I'd stay away from.

joemsj51

Bearcat
hahahaha turk!

In a way, you're right. It's good when used to displace water underneath it. But when rain comes down on a shed padlock we just lubed inside & out with WD-40, it wont take long for that padlock to rust. For unknown reasons to me, water placed over the WD-40 - which was placed over the metal padlock, won't stay new-looking for too long......lol

We seem to all have a can of it somewhere in our house. I have one, but I use it sparingly on door hinges and key-holes when I cannot find my red nozzle-straws, that get attached to the spray nozzle of my good spray oils. When WD-40 came out with their attached, bendable spray nozzle on their cans, why didn't every other manufacturer follow-suit?

I lose those red straws all the time, even if I rubberband them around the can.....lol

JTQ

Bearcat
joemsj51 said:
I lose those red straws all the time, even if I rubberband them around the can.....lol
I do too. You should be able to buy a pack of a dozen, just the straws, at hardware stores.

An opportunity for the budding entrepreneur. Sell the straws only.