Recommendations for a full size 9mm pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I only own a small number of handguns, at least by the standards of many of this forum, and have two handguns at the ready in my home for family and home defense. One is my P97 and one is a 6-round 357Magnum revolver. I'm thinking about relegating both to the safe and replacing them with a higher capacity 9mm, keeping the caliber the same as what I use for concealed carry with my LC9s. My first thought was a Glock 17, but I've never liked the feel of Glocks. I'm wondering what specific guns some of you might recommend I consider for a reliable 9mm of reasonable accuracy and capacity of 15 or better rounds.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
I have a HK VP9 that i really like. It holds 15 in the mag. I love the way it feels and shoots. You have a lot of good choices to look at. The new Ruger American looks good as well. Good luck.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I like the SR9E. 17+1, reliable with any of the commercial ammo loads I've put thru it, good price.

SR9%20Holster.jpg~original

FergusonTO35

Hunter
How much are you looking to spend? Browning Hi-Power or Sig P226 are my first choices. The Springfield XD is a sweet pistol that costs less than $500.00.

gunman42782

Hunter
All kinds of good, solid, reliable full size 9mm pistols out there. Find one that feels good in your hand, that points naturally, and has a proven reputation of reliability.

GKC

Blackhawk
If you are looking for economical recommendations, then I'd say the Ruger 9E or the S&W SD9VE. Both are reliable, have a 17+1/16+1 capacity, and are about $320 (plus tax) in most shops. The SD9VE gets dinged for its trigger pull, which is about 7.5 pounds, but it is less than most DA revolvers. If you are willing to spend a little more money, between $400 and $500, I'd recommend the Ruger SR9/9c or one the S&W M&P models.

I have small hands, so Glocks don't fit me well, even the Gen4 models.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I'm "old school" so with what you already have I'd have to agree with one that was suggested above: an older Browning Hi-Power '60's '70's vintage. It's reliable, has the mag capacity you're looking for, pretty to the eyes, and it's a true classic.

The Preacher

loaded round

Hunter
I'm a Ruger fan thru and thru, but I just bought a Sig Legion in 9mm and in my humble opinion the Sig Legion is one of the finest semi autos on the market today, price not withstanding. The Legion is as close to a custom shop firearm without spending 3 or 4 thousand dollars. Please guys, visit your local GS to try one before condemning my suggestion.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If going with Sig be sure to shop around as prices are all over the place. My local guy has the standard P229 .40 S&W for $729.95, whereas a big box store in Lexington has the exact same one for over $900.00.

smitty_bs

Bearcat
I have a full-size S&W M&P9 and a Browning Hi-Power. Both are equally reliable. The Hi-Power is a "T" series so it is basically a range gun. The M&P is reliable and accurate and can take an incredible amount of abuse. I can recommend it without remorse.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Of the handful or so different full sized 9mm that I've shot, my all around favorite is the beretta 92fs. Accurate as heck, comfortable in the hand, and soaks up recoil nicely. USP 9mm would be next choice with Ruger SR9 third. Not that the others weren't good pistols, CZ75, M&P, Sig226, I didn't shoot them as well. Plus, the beretta I shot was a range gun that looked like it hadn't been cleaned for thousands of rounds, an functioned flawlessly.

demented

Single-Sixer
I may be ran off for saying this but the Ruger SR series have been a thorn in my side, had two that were sent back two and three times, one of those a friend has and the magazines latch on it is still not right. I like my two Beretta PX-4 Storms, one a full size, the other a subcompact, a compact model is on my wish list. I'm no fan of striker fired pistols, I prefer hammer equipped double/single actions with a mechanical safety or at least a hammer drop.

loaded round said:
I'm a Ruger fan thru and thru, but I just bought a Sig Legion in 9mm and in my humble opinion the Sig Legion is one of the finest semi autos on the market today, price not withstanding. The Legion is as close to a custom shop firearm without spending 3 or 4 thousand dollars. Please guys, visit your local GS to try one before condemning my suggestion.

P226 legion or P229 legion?

loaded round

Hunter
P226 Legion

DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
loaded round said:

P226 legion or P229 legion?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sigs are the finest, best machined, and most accurate non-1911 semi autos on the planet.

Then the CZ75 family, which are VERY close to the Sigs ... For considerably less money.

Then the Browning HiPowers.

Owned ... And never cared for any Beretta. IMO ... Not even remotely close to the Sig P line.

REV

Latest posts