Inner tube grip sleeve on P95 vs. Hogue,etc.(Thread amended)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
P95 stainless will be new appendix IWB carry protection. Not really fond of Hogue finger grooves, but can deal with it. Experience with the Pachmyer sleeve please? Thanks. DOn

mdmaysp95

Bearcat
Having used both of those sleeves, did not really care for either one. Finally went with Talon rubber grip has been on my P 95 for three years

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Another vote for Talon Grips. I've honestly never heard anyone who said they regretted putting them on. I tried various rubber slip on grips as well. They tend to slide down under repeated recoil of a range trip. They can even slip far enough down to partially block the magazine well.

I bought another P95 from a member here last year and it came with the Hogue slip on grip.... I chose to take two identical pistols with me to the Front Sight Defensive handgun course and so I put another one on my other 'newer' P95. To be honest the grip seems a little too big and thick for my hand even though I made it through the course just fine. So, I'll defer to the folks above... but I do think you need to have fairly big hands for either to be right. My hand size is just medium.

if the P95 you are getting is one of the later models with the pitted grip I really don't think either is needed.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
.if the P95 you are getting is one of the later models with the pitted grip I really don't think either is needed.

And that's a good point with making also. Not all pistols I'd say benefit from Talon Grips or are even needed. An example I think think of is my Glock 26 Gen 4. The Gen 4 texture on the grip is very secure. and aggressive when compared to most.

I'd also think that a 1911 with the checkering "not sure if that's the right term" on the front and back of the grip is sufficient and doesn't require any aftermarket fixes. But there are a lot of semi auto's that have a very slick feel. Some of the subcompact polymer pistols give a more noticeable effect I think. Because many times they where designed to be pocket guns, so aggressive grip texture may even be a bad thing for those.

But we all commit the same sin when buying these especially if it's the first or only pistol we own. We try to make it "better". And while grip on an Lcp or S&W Bodyguard or something in that class would feel a lot better on the range, it's probably going to get a little more snaggy in the pocket as well as a trade off. Not much but a little.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks to all of you who have shared their thoughts here. I had an opportunity to give a fella $8 for a NIB Hogue slip-on and thought I'd try it as a starting point. I agree it may be a little thick for my needs, but if it doesn't work well for me I'll pass it on. I wasn't familiar with the Talon product until I posted this. Looks like a wonderful product I will hope to try in the near future. As with so many other things in life, I might be stuck in my old 1970's and 80's habits, and need to branch out a bit.
Thanks again so much. Don.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Tallbald said:
Thanks to all of you who have shared their thoughts here. I had an opportunity to give a fella $8 for a NIB Hogue slip-on and thought I'd try it as a starting point. I agree it may be a little thick for my needs, but if it doesn't work well for me I'll pass it on. I wasn't familiar with the Talon product until I posted this. Looks like a wonderful product I will hope to try in the near future. As with so many other things in life, I might be stuck in my old 1970's and 80's habits, and need to branch out a bit.
Thanks again so much. Don.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/ruger/p95.html

It's worth a go if you are in the mood. I hate to sound like a cheerleader for any product but I've had these on my Sr40c for several years now and have not peeled or worn in any noticeable way despite every day carry.

And they are cheap enough so that you won't kick yourself too hard if you dislike them. Wipe down the grips with the provided patch to remove any oil that may prevent a good bond, apply carefully, use a hair dryer to ensure a good seal, and done. Good luck to you.

demented

Single-Sixer
I guess I'll be the only one here to speak against Talons, I once loved them, put them on about a dozen handguns but none stayed on for me when I really got rough with them, all began peeling at the edges where they were no overlaps, some after a few weeks, others after a few months. I realize that i might have missed something when installing them a time or two but you'd think the law of averages would dictate one of two would be done right.

Tallbald

Buckeye
SteveSatch I like the inner tube suggestion. I had actually thought of those wide rubber bands that hold together bunches of broccoli at the grocery store, but we use frozen broccoli. I do always have concerns about solvents loosening the adhesive on applied things. Don

Tallbald

Buckeye
Well folks I received the Hogue sleeve and it made the P95 grip too thick for my hands. I like the other suggestions too, but thought I'd try the inner tube trick. I'm like so many other fathers who have been told by their grown children... "Yes Daddy I want it ( first bike, Christmas tree ornaments, Boy Scout/Girl Scout uniforms, stuffed animals, etc etc) but hold on to it for me for now...I don't have room...". Long story shorter, I removed the 28 year old inner tube from my son's first bike that's hung on our wall. Probably needed replacement anyway . There was one area on the tube with texturing, and I cut it and here it is on my P95. Thin but grippy, textured but not abrasive, and resistant to solvents I hope. Even the molding seam lines up with the grip seam. Thanks again all for the thoughts and input. Don.
P2042570.jpg

P2042572.jpg

HEADKNOCKER

Bearcat
I thought that up in the Mid 80s way before Hogue had their log in the fire on the slip on grips..

Tallbald

Buckeye
Headknocker I truly don't recall exactly when the first slip-on I ever used came my way. The last five decades have flown and honestly melded into one long shooting sports movie in my mind (grin). I know that the beautiful P89DC I bought used from a dear friend in 1997 got one put on. It now resides in my son's home as a house gun (he claimed it when he was an early teen because it "looks so cool". I do know that this inner tube slip-on fits me better than the Hogue. Don.