rave of the day about Standard Ruger 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
Today competed in 'steel challenge' using antique Ruger 22 auto pistol, built 60+ years ago.

The first stage was a 3 target set up requiring specific 'stop plate' after the other two. Couldn't believe it, the dang thing is such a natural pointer my average time was well under 3 seconds each string. Haven't seen the posted times yet but I know one string was in the "1.7 sec" range.

Standard set up Steel Challenge targets, a few loading/cycling glitches but managed to complete each string despite having to insert new magazine after clearing action a few times.

Solid stock, iron sights, 9 shot magazines.

Not sure what over all score was yet, but I'm pretty sure it was my best ever, including far newer and fancier gear in any caliber. May post the time if I'm really happy with it.

Pistol basically ran perfectly and shot very well with no complaints for entire 6 stage match, about 175 rounds.

Maybe I should clean it one of these years.

I'm thinking about getting back into shooting .22 again. I'm tied up with my .45LC project right now, but SOON.

My last .22 target pistol was a Ruger KMK678GC MKII (6 inch bull slab side stainless target) I really miss it but it had several issues. Ruger was less than stellar in dealing with it. They finally got me to replace it with a MKIII 22/45. Wasn't happy with it at all, I sold it promptly.

I really want to get into target .22s again, please tell me Ruger has made them easier to disassemble/reassemble since then! I can do it, but it was such a major pain in the @$$ and took several tries over a 72 hour period to finally get the MKIII back together again when I had it.

m657

Buckeye
"such a major pain in the @$$ and took several tries over a 72 hour period to finally get the MKIII back together again when I had it."

I worked one over with some much needed upgrades. In over 35 years of owning one version or another of Ruger 22, I FINALLY was able to disassemble/assemble in reasonable time frame.

My gunsmith was of little actual instructional help but did encourage the process if I got really stuck.

There were a raft of youtube videos that helped....no longer have the links, but oddly enough the BEST one was only a few minutes long & gave the exact procedure that worked perfectly and very smoothly.

If I were looking for another Ruger 22, I'd be after a short bull barrel Mk I or II. Or even a 'heavy barrel' pre Mk anything.

I'm pretty happy about Old Standard right now. With geezer eyes I can even see the front sight/steel target. Got to admit, last week on paper I was somewhat disappointed, as the red dot really helps me get groups otherwise no longer possible without.

Good luck.

m657 said:
"such a major pain in the @$$ and took several tries over a 72 hour period to finally get the MKIII back together again when I had it."

I worked one over with some much needed upgrades. In over 35 years of owning one version or another of Ruger 22, I FINALLY was able to disassemble/assemble in reasonable time frame.

My gunsmith was of little actual instructional help but did encourage the process if I got really stuck.

There were a raft of youtube videos that helped....no longer have the links, but oddly enough the BEST one was only a few minutes long & gave the exact procedure that worked perfectly and very smoothly.

If I were looking for another Ruger 22, I'd be after a short bull barrel Mk I or II. Or even a 'heavy barrel' pre Mk anything.

I'm pretty happy about Old Standard right now. With geezer eyes I can even see the front sight/steel target. Got to admit, last week on paper I was somewhat disappointed, as the red dot really helps me get groups otherwise no longer possible without.

Good luck.

Update:

I've got a SW22 Victory on order...

Yawn

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I'm thinking about getting back into shooting .22 again. I'm tied up with my .45LC project right now, but SOON.

My last .22 target pistol was a Ruger KMK678GC MKII (6 inch bull slab side stainless target) I really miss it but it had several issues. Ruger was less than stellar in dealing with it. They finally got me to replace it with a MKIII 22/45. Wasn't happy with it at all, I sold it promptly.

I really want to get into target .22s again, please tell me Ruger has made them easier to disassemble/reassemble since then! I can do it, but it was such a major pain in the @$$ and took several tries over a 72 hour period to finally get the MKIII back together again when I had it.

What is a .45lc?

Yawn

Blackhawk
Funny... Just now I went to the rotary gun page on this site for the second time ever and saw DAs thread about this. Then I rolled my eyes. I respect that people love revolvers, I just don't get it (OK, maybe as a bear, mountain lion self defense gun). To me loving the revolver is like prefering cassette tapes over digital music.

Eh, to each their own!

Jim Luke said:
Yawn said:
What is a .45lc?

544894.jpg

People choose to live under a rock and exist as intentionally ignorant? If you truly didn't know, I apologize. Otherwise, no apologies given.

Yawn

Blackhawk
DA, no clue what your question means. I really had no clue what .45lc meant. Could care less about all things revolver and know very little about them. I think all handguns with a scope are ridiculous. Not picking up brass is nice, but not nearly enough to consider a revolver. NO issue with or disrespect for anyone who loves them... they are just simply old tech to me that people want to hold onto. To each their own.

stevelutah

Bearcat
Thread drift....

Yawn you sound like a young person. You were polite and I'm sharing this in the spirit of maybe showing you something that one day you will be glad you gave it another look. Do yourself a favour and look into revolvers. If they were not usefull do you think they would still be making them and people buying them? Do not be so quick to ignore them. Revolvers have a raft of uses and advantages over pistols. I'll list a few to peak your interest. Think about a gun sitting loaded in a drawer for say 20 years or longer. A revolver will sit there with no springs under compression, (Grampas revolver was in the dresser drawer for 50+ years-it will go bang). A pistol will have the mag springs and depending on action and and condition potentially other springs under compression.

Second is innexperienced people do better with a revolver. Non shooting girlfreinds an wives can pick up on how to use a revolver in one session. They get it. Pistols with magazines, racking, safteys, condition, clearing jams, etc cause greif especially if hand stregth is an issue. Not good under stress. I have trained several first time users and switched them to revolvers after being convinced the bad guy would take the weapon before they could reliably fire .vs. once they have it in hand and finger on the trigger the revolver is good to go.
What if you have an injured hand/arm ? Sounds far fetched. I know several people who one time or another were in this exact situation. Put one hand in your pocket and start with an empty weapon and a box of ammo.

There are other advantages that other could list.
O.P. apologises for the drift I am sure it was fun to run the range using an old stock mark 1. A testament to how good they coul be.

Yawn

Blackhawk
stevelutah said:
Thread drift....

Yawn you sound like a young person. You were polite and I'm sharing this in the spirit of maybe showing you something that one day you will be glad you gave it another look. Do yourself a favour and look into revolvers. If they were not usefull do you think they would still be making them and people buying them? Do not be so quick to ignore them. Revolvers have a raft of uses and advantages over pistols. I'll list a few to peak your interest. Think about a gun sitting loaded in a drawer for say 20 years or longer. A revolver will sit there with no springs under compression, (Grampas revolver was in the dresser drawer for 50+ years-it will go bang). A pistol will have the mag springs and depending on action and and condition potentially other springs under compression.

Second is innexperienced people do better with a revolver. Non shooting girlfreinds an wives can pick up on how to use a revolver in one session. They get it. Pistols with magazines, racking, safteys, condition, clearing jams, etc cause greif especially if hand stregth is an issue. Not good under stress. I have trained several first time users and switched them to revolvers after being convinced the bad guy would take the weapon before they could reliably fire .vs. once they have it in hand and finger on the trigger the revolver is good to go.
What if you have an injured hand/arm ? Sounds far fetched. I know several people who one time or another were in this exact situation. Put one hand in your pocket and start with an empty weapon and a box of ammo.

O.P. apologises for the drift I am sure it was fun to run the range using an old stock mark 1. A testament to how good they coul be.

Well, I don't feel to bad about the thread drift as I think the original discussion had been coming to an end.

I truly do appreciate your response and especially the way you said what you said. I will start with your agreed upon point... Hand injuries. We had a lady in our church who had severe nerve damage in her hand. She lived alone, and couldn't rack the slide on her semi and ore and recoil was a big no no. But, a 8 - 10 round .22mag revolver was the answer. I had forgotten about that until now.

Having said that, I still just don't get it... And I really have given it thought, such as reading through your email. Yeah, I would probably be considered younger on this forum, mid 30's... So no, I don't have an emotional attachment to a revolver like in the good ole days or anything. I respect that people do... I just wonder if they realize that is what it is.

For instance... When they release the old Atari games on STEAM this year, I would be super interested in playing pit fall again. I highly doubt however that anyone who didn't play that game when it was cutting edge, would care to play it now. But I know that it is tied to emotional nostalgia.

Ok, so a neglected 50 year old revolver would still fire... I am not saying that there aren't remote instances where that would be a positive. There is a less chance, but still a chance that a high end well made semi, like a colt or sig would do the same. But even if not...

Almost no one uses analogues phones anymore... Even though they are the only phones that will function in an electrical power outage because they use the low volt only from the phone lines. In fact... Most people use digital VOIP phone lines now, even thought they completely fail in a power outage. Why, because the benefits far outlay the couple negatives in everyday life.

That is the same with the revolver... It is old tech.

As for what the inexperienced do... I hear you, but I disagree with your thinking. People aren't experienced until they have experiences... So why start them with a revolver? If they are inexperienced, they are probably just shooting and maybe reloading. Shooting a semi that is in fire mode is pretty much the same as shooting a revolver... You pull the trigger. Sure, reloading is a little different... But that just means you have more to discuss with them. Maybe the first few times you do it so that they can watch. What your saying is equivalent to someone who has never been trout fishing. Rather than taking the extra time to explain how to cast out, how the drag works, how to fight a fish, and to real in... You give them a flexible stick with a 10 foot line tied to the small end of the stick. At the other end of the line is a hook and a sinker. YOu bate it for them and tell them to toss it in the water. They may catch a fish... They are fishing, but aren't really any closer to modern fishing. This would apply to someone learning to fly fish.

I hear what you are saying.... But to me, your comments are proving that revolvers are old tech. I respect that people love and use them. I know people who still love and use records, CDs, and even cassettes... They love those things. Great for them... Truly. But, they have to realize that they have an emotional connection to old outdated tech... For some because relearning everything isn't worth time. I get it... Totally do... But like my SR45. It is a great gun, but it is what it is, and nothing more. It isn't more accurate than a sig... Probably never will be.

Good convo!! Thanks

Yawn said:
stevelutah said:
Thread drift....

Well, I don't feel to bad about the thread drift as I think the original discussion had been coming to an end.

I truly do appreciate your response and especially the way you said what you said. I will start with your agreed upon point... Hand injuries. We had a lady in our church who had severe nerve damage in her hand. She lived alone, and couldn't rack the slide on her semi and ore and recoil was a big no no. But, a 8 - 10 round .22mag revolver was the answer. I had forgotten about that until now.

Having said that, I still just don't get it... And I really have given it thought, such as reading through your email. Yeah, I would probably be considered younger on this forum, mid 30's... So no, I don't have an emotional attachment to a revolver like in the good ole days or anything. I respect that people do... I just wonder if they realize that is what it is.

For instance... When they release the old Atari games on STEAM this year, I would be super interested in playing pit fall again. I highly doubt however that anyone who didn't play that game when it was cutting edge, would care to play it now. But I know that it is tied to emotional nostalgia.

Ok, so a neglected 50 year old revolver would still fire... I am not saying that there aren't remote instances where that would be a positive. There is a less chance, but still a chance that a high end well made semi, like a colt or sig would do the same. But even if not...

Almost no one uses analogues phones anymore... Even though they are the only phones that will function in an electrical power outage because they use the low volt only from the phone lines. In fact... Most people use digital VOIP phone lines now, even thought they completely fail in a power outage. Why, because the benefits far outlay the couple negatives in everyday life.

As for what the inexperienced do... I hear you, but I disagree with your thinking. People aren't experienced until they have experiences... So why start them with a revolver? If they are inexperienced, they are probably just shooting and maybe reloading. Shooting a semi that is in fire mode is pretty much the same as shooting a revolver... You pull the trigger. Sure, reloading is a little different... But that just means you have more to discuss with them. Maybe the first few times you do it so that they can watch. What your saying is equivalent to someone who has never been trout fishing. Rather than taking the extra time to explain how to cast out, how the drag works, how to fight a fish, and to real in... You give them a flexible stick with a 10 foot line tied to the small end of the stick. At the other end of the line is a hook and a sinker. YOu bate it for them and tell them to toss it in the water. They may catch a fish... They are fishing, but aren't really any closer to modern fishing. This would apply to someone learning to fly fish.

I hear what you are saying.... But to me, your comments are proving that revolvers are old tech. I respect that people love and use them. I know people who still love and use records, CDs, and even cassettes... They love those things. Great for them... Truly. But, they have to realize that they have an emotional connection to old outdated tech... For some because relearning everything isn't worth time. I get it... Totally do... But like my SR45. It is a great gun, but it is what it is, and nothing more. It isn't more accurate than a sig... Probably never will be.

Good convo!! Thanks

I guess. I like my S&W 686 as much as I do my Sig P226.

I love that they have classic games on Steam now! But probably won't play anything as old as what you mentioned. Now if it was megaman...

steenroller

Bearcat
I prefer a semi-auto in a self defense situation but I am glad to know that I would not feel unarmed if I had a SA or DA revolver. If you have seen Jerry Miculak shoot a DA revolver and reload you would wonder why anyone needed an auto pistol. When he was shooting in an IPSC match I was shooting in 25 years ago he was reloading a S&W .357 faster than most of us could insert a new magazine. That took years of practice.

Plus, if you lose or damage your magazine and don't have a spare handy, you have a single shot pistol at that point, or a club if it has a mag safety. A revolver does not have that handicap. I am going to stick with my autos for defense, but I like firearms in general and like to shoot all kinds. It would be pretty boring to shoot just one kind of firearm all the time. The revolvers are just plain fun to shoot sometimes. But again to each their own.

To comment on an earlier post, I own several MKIIs and have traded off some. Bought a MKIII and had to replace the bushing and remove the LCI and it is as reliable as the MKII. The disassembly and reassembly is easy after you do it one or two times and keep the instructions in front of you. I have no problem now. I would love to be able to try an old Standard sometime.

salover

Single-Sixer
Yawn, I have several pistols and revoLvers, really enjoy both variations although I do shoot revolvers moreso than the pistols. You can get calibers in revolvers that are unavailable in pistols. You are correct in stating that there is some nostalgia involved. Just wondering, if you really respect a persons liking revolvers why did you "roll your eyes" when you read DJ'S thread?

Yawn

Blackhawk
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Yawn said:
stevelutah said:
Thread drift....

Good convo!! Thanks

I guess. I like my S&W 686 as much as I do my Sig P226.

I love that they have classic games on Steam now! But probably won't play anything as old as what you mentioned. Now if it was megaman...

Ha ha ha... I loved Mega Man!! Like a sifi military Mario Brothers!

I have no qualms that people love their revolvers. I get that they do. I just don't why. But, LIke I said... to each their own. I will say I can see how the shotgun shell revolver might be useful... that is new tech... so good job there.