Extra Magazines for SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
BrentHG said:
I'm looking to get a few extra 17 round magazines for my SR9. The OEM magazines are very expensive, but I found this one that's $19.95. Does anyone have any experience with other magazines for the SR9:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593877/promag-magazine-ruger-sr9-9mm-luger-17-round-steel-matte

I also want to buy a dummy magazine to use for training.

Good price, but out of stock. The Promag site lists them for $27. Still less than Ruger. Promag is the only after market SR9 mag I've ever run across, but don't know how good they are.

djw54

Single-Sixer
I've been seeing 2-packs of SR mags (Ruger ) recently for 40ish dollars. I think? Let me look and I'll get back.

gunman42782

Hunter
I can't say how the pro mag sr9 mags are, but I will say all the experience I have had with them in other guns, and working in a gun shop and range for 7 years, is that they are crap.

kensingt0n

Bearcat
djw54 said:
I've been seeing 2-packs of SR mags (Ruger ) recently for 40ish dollars. I think? Let me look and I'll get back.

Grab A Gun, OEM 2 pack is 42.99, also setup some alerts for Armslist, I see used ones on there every couple of weeks.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunman42782 said:
I can't say how the pro mag sr9 mags are, but I will say all the experience I have had with them in other guns, and working in a gun shop and range for 7 years, is that they are crap.
That's the consensus for Pro Mags in general. You could try one for range use but i'd never use one if I needed to rely on the gun for serious work.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Bought 4 pro Mags for Mini 14 years ago and they were ok, with no problems, but never had any luck with Pro Mags or Triple K mags for pistols, ended up using them for targets. Only mags that i will buy or use is OEM or Mec-Gar, they both work flawlessly.

CATM

Bearcat
I've tried pro-mags once upon a time too. They were excellent magazines...for immediate action drills! :x

Poppy42

Bearcat
I bought 2 Ruger 17 round mags for my 9e (same mags as SR9) for $48 for both new at a local gun store ( Virginia Beach, Virginia) I though that was a pretty good deal considering 1 was $40

I will not buy Promag. If I am going to go NON OEM I go with Mecgar. They actually manufacture mags for many gun manufacturers. I just bought some Mecgars for a Beretta 84, but those are the only exception to OEM. Good luck

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
Bud's Gun Shop, had a 2 pack, of the 17 rnd. Meggar magazines , for $ 45.33, in November.
I just checked, and they are out of stock. You might check with them in a week or so.