Ruger P95 or Canik TP9SF

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I have a hard choice to make. I have 2 Ruger P95's. I am where if I want a new gun I have to sell one to get another ( because I am married with kids LOL ) . Well I have gotten to really like the Canik TP9 SF 9mm. I have been really wanting one but not sure f I can depart with a P95. I like the P95 for the fact its so darn reliable . It is rarher bulky to carry but I have a slim GLock for my main carry gun. I just would hate to sell the 95 and then regret it later.
Do any of you guys have a Canik in the TP series ? It is their polymer pistols and they are very nice and very well priced just like the Ruger P95's were new .
Any of you Canik owners please chime in and let me know your experiences .

tercel89

Single-Sixer
A safety 95 with the light rail. The Canik is made in Turkey .
http://www.canik55.com/series/tp-series/tp9sf

here is a review on it .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpibXYwC_5Q

websterz

Single-Sixer
Keep a solid, American made gun or trade it off for one with a short track record made in a country that supports terrorists? I know what I would do.

roylt

Hunter
Looks a lot like Rugers new American model. If you have 2 95s and just want a change I suggest getting a Ruger American. You know they stand behind their guns.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Looks a lot like Rugers new American model. If you have 2 95s and just want a change I suggest getting a Ruger American. You know they stand behind their guns.

I did try the new Ruger American . Here is a review I did on a local forum ....
" I set out today to go buy the new Ruger American pistol. My local shop had one for trials and rental . Now I gve most brands the benefit of the doubt and so I was all set to buy it . My friend that works there gave me the new Ruger and some ammo and told me to go shoot it. I took it to the range there . Now guys I am an old country boy so I may not use the correct terms here .

The trigger and reset were just almost not there. I could barely feel where the trigger resets and it is hardly audible at all. The trigger had to go almost all the way forward to reset itself. I beleive if you rapidly fired this pistol you would easily "short-stroke" the trigger and it wouldn't fire. The trigger pull feels like one of those stress balls that you squeeze where the rubber is very soft . It almost seems like the striker barely has enough power to pierce the primer.

I love the feel of the gun . The rear of the grip where it meets your thumbs when firing did not bother me at all . I know a lot of people have said this bites their thumb knuckle , but it did not bother me at all. Accuracy was good . Recoil was good.

I have shot Glocks for 20 years and carried one on my job for 18 yrs so I am very used to how they work. I also shoot a S&W M&P9 . Both have a good positive trigger and reset . And as some of you guys know , I am a huge fan of Ruger's old P-Series pistols . I still have a few that I shoot regulary. The big ole fat and ugly ones but even they have better triggers than this new Ruger . I also noticed that when I took this new Ruger's slide off that it has no conventional trigger bar like Glock and the M&P has . It was very new to me and I did not undertsand it's "guts" as comapared to what I am used to.

So I decided to keep my money and just wait it out. I was sssoooooo set on getting this pistol. I still hope it does well and I may eventually get one , but I am gonna wait it out for a while and see if Ruger does anything with this trigger. The shop said that they are going to keep running this pistol on the rental range and not clean it to see how well it does. I am anxious to see how it does too.

Guys I didn't mean to jabber on and on but I thought I'd share my experience that I had today. Like I said , I will hold out for Ruger to see if they "upgrade" this trigger and/or fix or change anything else.

Until then if I see an old P90 in .45ACP in great shape I may just buy it instead

Have a great day guys /gals
"

tercel89

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
Since you decided not to buy the new Ruger American after trying one out... why would you buy the Canik with out doing the same?

A friend of mine has one and we both share the same feelings about the Glock reset and all so thats what I am going off of . I trust his judgement. He says the trigger is great and I havent seen any reviews of negative against the Canik's trigger. But their are plenty of negative on the Ruger American . Plus I have shot it myself and hate the trigger. I still am not going to give up onthe Ruger , I believe Ruger will do something to it after hearing more people say something about it.

hittman

Staff member
My local favorite gun store sells the heck out of those Turkish guns. They say no complaints yet. I do know a couple of guys who have them and so far, they are reliable and dependable. I think MecGar makes their mags which (to me) look at lot like the P95 mags.

revhigh

Hawkeye
tercel89 said:
I believe Ruger will do something to it after hearing more people say something about it.

Doubtful ..... Ruger has never made a good trigger in a semiauto so far .... No reason to think they'll start now ...

All this plastic junk has horrendous triggers, and unfortunately ... The Rugers have consistently been the worst of the bunch.

REV

GKC

Blackhawk
hittman said:
My local favorite gun store sells the heck out of those Turkish guns. They say no complaints yet. I do know a couple of guys who have them and so far, they are reliable and dependable. I think MecGar makes their mags which (to me) look at lot like the P95 mags.

I owned - briefly - a TriStar T-100, which is a Turkish made handgun. What put me off was a call to the company, or rather the importer, to see about purchasing a recoil spring. I didn't have a problem, I just wanted a spare...but they wouldn't sell me one. They said they needed to keep what parts they had for warranty repairs. I know that many of the CZ parts will interchange, but still...replacing recoil springs shouldn't necessitate sending a gun in for warranty repair (and they only had a one year warranty!)

That was one of the reasons I decided to focus on American made guns, made by companies like Ruger and S&W, with lifetime warranties and great customer service.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
GKC said:
hittman said:

I owned - briefly - a TriStar T-100, which is a Turkish made handgun. What put me off was a call to the company, or rather the importer, to see about purchasing a recoil spring. I didn't have a problem, I just wanted a spare...but they wouldn't sell me one. They said they needed to keep what parts they had for warranty repairs. I know that many of the CZ parts will interchange, but still...replacing recoil springs shouldn't necessitate sending a gun in for warranty repair (and they only had a one year warranty!)

That was one of the reasons I decided to focus on American made guns, made by companies like Ruger and S&W, with lifetime warranties and great customer service.

I agree with you on the parts availability thing. That is the only negative thing that i can think of about these guns.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Awww the heck with it , I'm keeping my P95 and I'll just save up and buy the Canik . I got to thinking and I just couldn't part with my P95 .

Good for you... I don't quite understand the good / bad trigger discussion.... way out of my experience.... the only time I can figure out a bad trigger is when I'm target shooting.... in fast draw and defensive shooting drills it never seemed to matter that much.... I still don't understand the need to hear or even feel the trigger reset. Just let off the trigger and squeeze it again... then repeat, and I recently had to go through that drill over and over.