May be buying stainless P95 from family. My new CCW?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
A to-be family member has a P95 stainless he bought new in I think 2013 at a local shop. Likely less than 400 rounds through it. Now this young man is not my size. He's maybe 5 feet 9 inches and a weightlifting crossfit teaching fellow. He has his CCW but his one and only handgun is the P95, which he can't conceal very easily. Before he can buy a different weapon he needs to sell his P95. This came up in casual conversations between us during a family visit.
I myself am 6 feet 5 inches tall and almost 300 pounds and have no issues with appendix IWB carry of a full size handgun. I've been browsing around looking for a reliable but AFFORDABLE everyday carry gun with larger capacity than my beloved SP101 revolver (times are changing).
Because this young man is in school to become a surgical technician,and it looks like before it's over with he will be my son in law, AND because he and my daughter share a home they bought together, I have offered him his money back on his P95 (including tax!), which he thinks is about $318. He said he would look at the receipt. Included are the box and all factory accessories. He seems very excited about the prospect of selling his P95 to me to fund a smaller gun, and I feel I'm helping him and my daughter a bit by not beating him down on the price.
Reading as much as I can find online about the P95 it seems to be a fine reliable 9mm platform that can take everyday wear and tear, and riding up against a sweaty belly like mine with modest care. It has the external hammer I crave, the stainless construction I need, the external safety I demand, the capacity to do anything I ever would need and just overall seems like a good fit for a man of my proportions and needs. Also (please correct me if I'm wrong) the P95 does not have that annoying magazine "safety" feature(?).
I don't see a great many articles or threads here about everyday carry of a P95. Does this gun have any quirks I should become familiar with or watch out for before I choose it as my lifeboat? Is the grip frame pretty "grippy" as is or would I benefit from a rubber slip on grippy thing? I know there's no changing out grip panels on the P95. Regardless of folks thoughts, I am going to follow through with my offer to purchase the P95 because that's the right thing to do (folks I've dealt with here might attest to that). I hope though that I've made a wise decision, although I'll be paying new price for a used gun. Hey! Maybe I should view it as a "tested" Ruger instead of "used".
Thanks as always to everyone here. I so value the opinions expressed. Don.

gunman42782

Hunter
I have one, have had it for years. It has never missed a beat, totally reliable. I no longer carry it, but in years past I carried it everyday in a IWB holster in the SOB. I do have a "rubber slip on grippy thing", as you put it, on mine. If you don't mind the size, it will serve you well.

revhigh

Hawkeye
The P95 is probably the only gun in Ruger's plastic semiauto lineup without any skeletons in its closet.

It's a good gun. It's worth $318. You won't be doing any really accurate target shooting with it, but for CCW if you want a gun that big ... It's fine.

REV

gunman42782

Hunter
revhigh said:
The P95 is probably the only gun in Ruger's plastic semiauto lineup without any skeletons in its closet.

It's a good gun. It's worth $318. You won't be doing any really accurate target shooting with it, but for CCW if you want a gun that big ... It's fine.

REV
I don't know, it aint that bad. This is the very first target I ever shot with it, at 15 yards. I think it will get the job done!

Yawn

Blackhawk
Yes, that is the picture version of what Rev just said. Again, I love my SR45 and loved my SR9... Carry the 45 everyday. Very deadly handgun! Bought it for the features, platform, American made, and deadly reliable shoot-ability. Felt good in my hand too. But, it is what it is, and we should not try and make it to be more than what it is.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
My KP-95D is an absolute tank, it has fired everything I have fed into it including the cheapest crap. Never missed a beat, I got mine about 1999/2000 and I think I paid about $290. I carry it quite often with either a Cleveland IWB holster http://www.clevelandholsters.com/ or a simple bianchi nylon slide. It is a great firearm.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks to all of you. These are encouraging comments, and I think I'll be quite pleased. First things I'll do need are to craft is an AIWB clip style holster for myself, then get a rubbery-slip-on-grippy-thing so my sweaty paws hold on tight (I always wanted to be a technical writer). Don.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gunman42782 said:
revhigh said:

REV
I don't know, it aint that bad. This is the very first target I ever shot with it, at 15 yards. I think it will get the job done!

As I said .... A 4 inch group at 15 yards isn't exactly what I'd call accurate.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
lipofsky said:
My KP-95D is an absolute tank, it has fired everything I have fed into it including the cheapest crap. Never missed a beat.

It is a great firearm.

It still amazes me that people brag about their guns' ability to fire ammunition .....

All my guns do that ... Always have ... Always will ... I thought that's what guns were meant to do ... If that's your criteria for calling something a great firearm ... You've set the bar very low. By those standards ... Virtually every gun I've ever seen, shot, or owned is a 'tank' (whatever that means), and is a great firearm ... And that's simply not true.

REV

gunman42782

Hunter
revhigh said:
gunman42782 said:
revhigh said:

REV

As I said .... A 4 inch group at 15 yards isn't exactly what I'd call accurate.

REV
Not to get in a pissing match with you, but that is a Bianchi target with all shots in the bullseye and I wasn't exactly shooting slow off a rest! Now, I aint saying it is a outstanding group, I aint saying it is the best shooting pistol I own, but I am saying it is more than good enough for the OP intended purpose. I don't think anyone that was shot with that gun would know weather or not it was a 4 inch or 2 inch group in his torso.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Which is EXACTLY what I said in my first post ! :D

You specifically replied to my accuracy statement ... With a picture of a not so great group (which is what I said initially) ... Which I responded to, and then you changed the subject to being shot with the gun.

No big deal ... I think my initial statement was dead on ... It's probably Ruger's best semi auto ... In terms of being problem and recall free ... With the exception of the excellent (but very big) P90, and that was a totally different gun ... And a different caliber.

Let me ask you this ... If you can answer honestly ... Do you own any WORSE shooting pistols ... Group wise ? If so ... What are they ?

When I owned a P89 and P91 ... They were BY FAR ... And I mean REALLY FAR ... the worst shooting guns in my safe from an accuracy perspective. They are what they are.

REV

It may be worth $318 in Kentucky but I think anywhere else it is worth closer to $350. Just my opinion.
I prefer the decock models myself, but you said the safety was a must for you....

I put 650 rounds through a stainless steel P95 decock last month in four days during a very intensive defensive handgun class... and it worked perfectly.... I actually brought two with me just in case.

It is really sad that the P95 is a prime example of what happens in manufacturing.... you create a good product and then develop it to pretty much perfect and then stop making it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
$318 was what the OP mentioned.

CDNN was selling these BRAND NEW for $279 ... Stainless for $299. I posted the deal to alert everyone to it myself.

I think $318 for a used P95 is a GREAT DEAL ... for the seller ... And a generous deal for the buyer ... from a potential future family member. :D

There is ZERO chance of a used P95 going for $350 in my neck of the woods. More like $250 tops. I bought a used CZ75B for $300 a few years ago. Bought my P89 for $225 and my P91 for $250. Lost money on both trading them, but was happy to get rid of them, and even happier to get my new SRH in 454 in the deal.

REV

tercel89

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
lipofsky said:
My KP-95D is an absolute tank, it has fired everything I have fed into it including the cheapest crap. Never missed a beat.

It is a great firearm.

It still amazes me that people brag about their guns' ability to fire ammunition .....

All my guns do that ... Always have ... Always will ... I thought that's what guns were meant to do ... If that's your criteria for calling something a great firearm ... You've set the bar very low. By those standards ... Virtually every gun I've ever seen, shot, or owned is a 'tank' (whatever that means), and is a great firearm ... And that's simply not true.

REV

Well in this day and age there are many guns that wont fire certain ammunition. For example the Glock 36 had a terrible run , Kimber 1911's have several guns that will fail , and so on and so on. I have seen both fail in person.
So to brag about how a gun will digest any ammunition is good in my book and something to be proud of . It is sad though that some brands have trouble making a reliable gun but it is true .
The Ruger P95 certaily is a nice gun that will digest ammo after ammo !

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yeah ... You're probably right ... I guess I just don't own guns like that ... And all my ammo is my reloads, so I know what I have. Honestly though ... I've never had a running issue with any gun in my life, but I buy and own mostly top line stuff, so I don't come into contact with many junky guns. Never had to repair a gun either ... and I've put over 500,000 rounds down range over the years.

No doubt about the 95 running anything ... Just as you'd expect it to.

REV

Tallbald

Buckeye
Folks I appreciate all the input. My future son in law will be putting the money I pay him for his P95 toward another CCW weapon, which will, it should be noted, help protect my own daughter when they travel. That's money well spent in my book. He's a wonderful wonderful young man, and at times my daughter's protection is in his hands.
If this P95 shoots reliably, if I can group consistently with it, and if it likes the self defense ammunition I feed it the gun will fit my needs. That's the best I could ever ask of a weapon.
I'll add that these two young people have been together in a committed relationship five years. At 24 last year, they together bought a house ( a smallish three bed one bath 1972 brick on 3/4 of an acre outside of our town) because they saw the financial wisdom in buying and building equity instead of renting in our college town, and they are doing things like adding replacement windows through a TVA rebate program. They both are dog people, and at the drop of a request they care for Penny's and my four rescue dogs as we care for theirs on a moment's notice.
Yes I'm paying full retail price for a used gun, but there's no other way the young man could arrange a more appropriate CCW gun without me doing so. And there's not much out there any more I'd ask him to stake his and my daughter's life on for around the $250 another person would give him for the P95.
Penny and I live close to the line income wise since being hurt and forced out of the workforce against our will. I help supplement our income by crafting custom belts and holsters as many here know. I'm offering my kids essentially the value of a belt more than the gun is worth on the open market, but these two kids are family "worth having" which is better than I can say about some of our family......
Anyway, I'll share my thoughts about the stainless P95 when I have it in hand and have shot it a bit. Not the prettiest gun by far, but as with my leather, form follows function.
Again I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Don.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Congrats Don on great kids ... All your dogs, and some excellent leatherwork from what I've seen.

The 95 is a solid gun. Any idea what ccw gun the kid's looking at ?

REV

tercel89

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Yeah ... You're probably right ... I guess I just don't own guns like that ... And all my ammo is my reloads, so I know what I have. Honestly though ... I've never had a running issue with any gun in my life, but I buy and own mostly top line stuff, so I don't come into contact with many junky guns. Never had to repair a gun either ... and I've put over 500,000 rounds down range over the years.

No doubt about the 95 running anything ... Just as you'd expect it to.

REV

I usually make my reloads to the same specifications as the factory targets loads that my guns run well so that I dont have any problems. For example , I had some old Winchest white box laying around when I got my P95. It ran great through my 95 . So I took the measurements of the COL and such and made some reloads and they worked great . I am confident that it would also eat most all other ammo too. But thats it just what I do . Bottom line is that the P95 is a great gun and will function through most type of ammo . I like the fat old girl !

Tallbald

Buckeye
I will be suggesting to my future SIL he examine the SR9C which would be more appropriate for a man his size. He can use the 9mm ammunition he already has at their home, and his significant other (my only daughter) would likely be pleased with it as she already is with the P95.
Thank you all once more for taking time to respond to my questions and request for input. Don Sterchi