May be buying stainless P95 from family. My new CCW?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Go with the 9c. Much more versatile in ammo carried and grip config, and will conceal well. Will be an easy migration from the P95

Tallbald

Buckeye
I've done lots of looking and reading and the more I study on it, the more pleased I believe I'll be with the stainless P95 as an everyday carry choice.
The P95 offers me:
1.Stainless and polymer for corrosion resistance in our humid Southern environment.
2. The capacity I unfortunately feel could be needed in our "multiple attacker" world (mercy things have seemed to change since I was younger).
3.Reliability under adverse conditions.
4. External hammer, decock, external safety I will use. "Second strike" capability that comforts me.
5. Stainless magazines.
6. Weight kinda sorta similar to my SP101 I'm so familiar with.
7.Heaven forbid I ever need to use it in defense of family and self, but if I do, and it's taken by the authorities for any reason, I won't feel I have a $1K property item in limbo while things are sorted out.
8. All reports indicate to me that the P95 will digest anything I offer it, be they FMJ, HP, cheap Russian stuff or high dollar specialty ammunition.
9. Low initial cost to me, while helping out a family member.

Seems to be a win-win-win for me. I appreciate everyone's comments. Once I have the P95, I'll design a leather holster for my use AIWB with heavy duty belt spring clip (steel---always steel), and will share a few photos. There's dozens of good commercially offered holsters out there, but I'll craft my own. Something similar to this one I crafted for my CZ75B.
PA172100.jpg

Again, thanks for all the input for me to consider. Don.

ruger1963

Bearcat
revhigh said:
lipofsky said:
My KP-95D is an absolute tank, it has fired everything I have fed into it including the cheapest crap. Never missed a beat.

It is a great firearm.

It still amazes me that people brag about their guns' ability to fire ammunition .....

All my guns do that ... Always have ... Always will ... I thought that's what guns were meant to do ... If that's your criteria for calling something a great firearm ... You've set the bar very low. By those standards ... Virtually every gun I've ever seen, shot, or owned is a 'tank' (whatever that means), and is a great firearm ... And that's simply not true.

REV

I read a lot but seldom post. I'm a big fan of the Ruger P Series pistols and I own several (all decockers). I shoot my Beretta M9 and 92FS better than my Rugers. That fact does nothing to sour me on my P89's, P94 and P90. Nothing.

I've never had one fail. I can't say that about the Glocks I've owned. Their proven reliability, robust features, excellent price point and reasonable accuracy are what continues to draw people to them. There are a lot of fans and I, for one, believe they have earned the attention they get.

When I read your posts, there are two things I find myself questioning. 1) Despite your obvious disdain for most things Ruger, why you would choose to hang out on a Ruger gun board but, hey, it's a free country so why not. 2) Do you realize that in the unlikely event you ever have to use a handgun to defend yourself that the proximity of the bad guy to you will be within bad breath range? I'm serious. I don't romanticize about getting into a gun fight. It's mainly in movies where the 25 yard shootouts take place. The Zimmerman/Martin incident is much more the rule than the exception where a gun is likely to be deployed than a Weaver stance from 15 yards.

If I'm going to the range to knuckle down and strive for the best possible group, I'm taking one of my Berettas. God forbid if I find myself in a bad spot like someone coming through my front door, driver's side window or on top of me with a gun or a knife, I REALLY hope I have one of my P89's handy.

Tallbald

Buckeye
mercy no I have no distain for Ruger's . I have had more of them than any other make by way far. That's by choice too. My daddy didn't care for them because he was a Smith man. Rugers were "cowboy revolvers" and "Johnny come latelys" (he was born in 1932). Ruger is my favorite brand and has been since 1973 when Daddy signed for my first pistol, a NIB $64 6 inch .22 Mark 1. Mowed lawns at $2 a lawn and repaired bicycles for other kids to earn the cash. I'm just sad that Ruger did away with external hammer autos with alloy frames. Never have had a polymer frame handgun myself. This will be a first.
I hope never to be in a confrontation requiring a weapon to protect self and family. Nothing romantic about that. But I gave up driving a tiny car because of close calls from other inattentive drivers, now driving an SUV. it's just a precaution I believe I need to take.
Sure sorry if anyone here thinks I'm not a Ruger fan. Not sure what gave that impression. Ruger is and always has been my very first choice. Well..... my little Remington 514 single shot .22 was my first gun ever. Still have a soft spot for that one (grin).
Thanks for the thoughts. Always enjoy reading other's input. Don

That's what I was thinking ruger1963 was doing....

If I had a choice and unlimited funds, I'd own a couple of Sigs and carry one.... I'd probably also drive something other than Fords.... but most things in life are a compromise.... Rugers are generally better than the price you have to pay Not sure that would be true for Sigs or some other brands..
Ruger gets a bad rep because they often have a problem with first runs on guns... but you know, they always fix this.

welder

Buckeye
I have other guns by different makers and still have a great deal of respect for the Ruger P series because I like them. I have a good supply along with enough parts to keep the running for lifetimes. BTW, I haven't changed that first part yet.

The P95 is a stellar example of Ruger's ability to make a solid gun at an affordable price that lasts. The P90, P89, P94 are other examples. I have not bought a Ruger striker fired gun or any of their other new offerings as I have already filled that slot with other makes and see no reason to change although I know many people who have and are satisfied with them. I did own a LCR .22 magnum briefly as well as an LC9. Both gone now.

The P95 will serve you well and the price you paid is fair. I have sold three P95's the last couple of months and could sell more but have chosen to keep what I have left. A few are NIB and probably represent some of the best value in handguns out there. I use a P89 for my truck gun and carry a P94 or P95 from time to time and never feel that I am inadequately armed.

I'll make you a standing non-expiring offer to give you all your money back if the P95 is not to your liking, but I believe you'll soon find it'll be one of your favorites and trust it for the duties intended.

Oh, and it was very nice to see your reasoning on making the deal with your future SIL and considering his need to be able to protect your daughter as well. Good to read your thoughts and thank you for being a perfect example of a gentleman. I'm proud you are a Kentuckian!

Best,
Alan

Tallbald

Buckeye
Welder thank you so much for your kind words.
And thanks everyone who has shared their thoughts here for me to ponder. I received the P95 two days ago and am pleased, as was my future son-in-law. He held and caressed the P95 several times before he left for home, and I sensed he hated to part with the gun. It was his first handgun purchase as a man of legal age, and I too remember those feelings upon parting with a gun that was a milestone for me.
The gun seem to be in fine shape. I look forward to crafting an AIWB holster for it as soon as I receive the rubber slip-on grip sleeve I bought. He did volunteer that the only malfunction he had ever had with it was when brand new on its first range trip and he had a stovepipe he thought could have been from a poor grip position.
Thanks again folks, and I will share my findings as my experience with the handsome little gun develops. Don.

Latest posts