LCP Cleaning Advice?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BCubed

Bearcat
Earlier today I purchased a Ruger LCP Gen2 .380 and it looks to have quite a bit of oil on/in it...especially where the spent casings eject.

Is it a good idea to take it apart and give it a good wipe down before firing it?

Any advice or words of wisdom for breaking down and cleaning the LCP Gen2?

Thanks!

BCubed

GKC

Blackhawk
Yes, you should definitely clean your gun before firing it the first time. You can go to YouTube and search for "LCP cleaning" and find a lot of videos. Here is one that seems pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pcLtfAQA4

When it comes to cleaning products, you'll get a lot of opinions. Personally, I like to clean with Break-Free CLP, and then use Weapon Shield as a lubricant. (That's just what I like...nothing magic about them.) I also use the compressed air in a can...be sure to get one that is marked for PC use, or moisture-free, if you are going to use this.

A lot of people like Ballistol, and it does work very, very well...if you can stand the smell. Personally, I can't. But it does work! I had a door lock that was sticking despite whatever I tried on it...WD-40, 3-in-1 oil, and other products. I finally gave it a shot of Ballistol, and several years later it's still turning as smooth as new. Unfortunately, I could smell Ballistol on my hands and my guns for days, after using it, and it wasn't a smell I liked...so I gave it to my brother-in-law, who loves it.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
Why not clean it? Once you know how to disassemble it (You Tube video), it's pretty straight forward.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
Why not clean it? Once you know how to disassemble it (You Tube video), it's pretty straight forward.

Latest posts