Ruger LCP - 1st CC Handgun...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BCubed

Bearcat
I currently pocket carrying a Bauer .25 ACP (other than a Buckmark .22, the only gun I own...given to me by my mom before she passed) but looking to move to something more powerful and reliable while still pocket carrying (my best option with all my wardrobes) so I'm looking at the Ruger LCP.

A local gun and pawn store has the Ruger LCP for $219.95 + tax. I'm not sure if it's Gen1 or Gen2 - asked the guy over the phone and he said he wasn't sure but said they're new...him not knowing worries me a little bit.

A couple first timer questions:

- This is my 1st gun purchase in 20+ years so what should I be looking for to make sure this gun is legit and brand new and the seller is on the up and up?

- Does anyone have a link to a good picture showing the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 so I can check to see which model it is before I buy it? From what I've been able to find out the sights are a bit larger on the Gen2.

- Would you consider the LCP Gen2 (or Gen1 for that matter) an excellent purchase for $220?

Thanks for any advice!!!

BCubed

swmetal

Bearcat
$220 is about the going rate for a new LCP since the price drop a month or so back. I would buy from a reputable dealer knows his firearms and that will also stand behind the sale.

GKC

Blackhawk
The new or "Gen 2" LCP models won't have a dash in the serial number. The sights are slightly better, but if you aren't familiar with a Gen 1, you probably won't notice the difference. The trigger pull is much better, but again...hard to tell the difference if you aren't familiar with the earlier model. The test fired shell envelope should have a date on it...usually the test fire date is fairly close to the manufacture date. I think all the Gen 2 models were made after 2013.

I believe the serial number is the best indicator of all.

Yawn

Blackhawk
swmetal said:
$220 is about the going rate for a new LCP since the price drop a month or so back. I would buy from a reputable dealer knows his firearms and that will also stand behind the sale.

+1

joemsj51

Bearcat
Yawn said:
swmetal said:

+1

Are there any big box online stores having the Ruger LCP in-stock? Can't seem to find it anywhere locally under $275.00, or online at places like Buds, Gallery of guns, Kentucky guns, Palmetto State Armory.....etc.

kidmma

Bearcat
Mine did not come with the 2 fired casings??? bought it in December. Its the newer model with slightly better sights made as part of the slide. It was $239.

Ruger has stopped putting in the fired case and envelope in with their handguns as it is no longer required...I highly recommend you purchase the LCP custom model, the trigger and the sight improvements are well worth the extra $20.00 or so it will cost and it is much easier to shoot with the improvements...

Good luck.

GKC

Blackhawk
Nh Rugerman said:
I highly recommend you purchase the LCP custom model, the trigger and the sight improvements are well worth the extra $20.00 or so it will cost and it is much easier to shoot with the improvements...

Well, the standard LCP is selling for quite a bit less these days. Mine was $229, and the Custom is selling for around $359.

djw54

Single-Sixer
GKC said:
Nh Rugerman said:
I highly recommend you purchase the LCP custom model, the trigger and the sight improvements are well worth the extra $20.00 or so it will cost and it is much easier to shoot with the improvements...

Well, the standard LCP is selling for quite a bit less these days. Mine was $229, and the Custom is selling for around $359.

Prices have been all over the board the last two months, and vary by location. Lgs has the custom at $329. When I saw grabagun advertising it for $220ish, I went back to local shop and they had just dropped it to $249 with Ruger's price drop. Perhaps not all shops chose to follow suit.

Edited to add: I'm talking about the Custom.

GKC

Blackhawk
djw54 said:
Prices have been all over the board the last two months, and vary by location. Lgs has the custom at $329. When I saw grabagun advertising it for $220ish, I went back to local shop and they had just dropped it to $249 with Ruger's price drop. Perhaps not all shops chose to follow suit.

Edited to add: I'm talking about the Custom.

Are you saying the Custom was priced at $249? Around here, the Custom is still pricing at above $300...it's only the standard LCP that is selling for $229 to $249, depending on the store...if anyone has any in stock. Most don't.

djw54

Single-Sixer
GKC said:
Are you saying the Custom was priced at $249? Around here, the Custom is still pricing at above $300...it's only the standard LCP that is selling for $229 to $249, depending on the store...if anyone has any in stock. Most don't.

Yes. "was" being the key. Lgs only had one, priced at $329, but they dropped it to $249 at the same time that grabagun dropped it to $220. I haven't looked lately to see if gag got them back in, but I bought the one at lgs.

GKC

Blackhawk
djw54 said:
GKC said:

Yes. "was" being the key. Lgs only had one, priced at $329, but they dropped it to $249 at the same time that grabagun dropped it to $220. I haven't looked lately to see if gag got them back in, but I bought the one at lgs.

That was a good deal...the Academy Sports stores around here are advertising the Custom at $349, but none of the local stores have them in stock...well, I say none, I've only called a couple in my driving area...I stopped calling when I bought the standard model at a LGS for $229. The standard model has a much better trigger than the Gen1 or prior model...I don't know how it compares to the Custom since I've never seen one in person.

GKC

Blackhawk
BTW, if anyone REALLY wants one, Gander Mountain has them in stock for $399...

GKC

Blackhawk
joemsj51 said:
Gander has the basic LCP for $329 and the Custom for $399.

Great prices... :roll:

There is a Gander Mountain store in a town about 30 miles from me. I went in, mainly out of curiosity, since their online prices are so high. The prices in the store were lower, especially on ammo. This has been a couple of years ago, and I haven't been back, since I buy from local gun shops, but I was surprised to see the difference.