Will the 9mm RIPs shoot well in my SR9c?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RichardHawks2

Bearcat
Just wanted to get some general feedback from some people who have actually shot some before. I currently have civil liberty halo points for home protection. I have ran a few boxes through it and they shoot well with no issues.
Most of the individual reviews state that the RIPs are overrated and most still seem to stick with their personal preferred ammo of choice.
Was interested to see if anyone has had any issues shooting the RIPs through the SR9c and their thoughts...

Thanks in advance....

I saw an article online today about there being a recall on the RIP crap.
I should have saved it, but didn't since I never wasted my money on it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Wrong question. What you want to know is what is the best ammo to take down a bad guy, not what dribbles out of the barrel, or "shoots well" in your gun.

Want good ammo for your 9mm? Get the Hornady 135grn Critical Duty. If you can't find (or buy )that, then the 9mm 147grn XTP is a good runner up. http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger

Compare terminal ballistics with that boutique RIP stuff. 2 things a HD bullet must do: Penetrate deeply, and penetrate deeply.

GunnyGene said:
Wrong question. What you want to know is what is the best ammo to take down a bad guy, not what dribbles out of the barrel, or "shoots well" in your gun.

Want good ammo for your 9mm? Get the Hornady 135grn Critical Duty. If you can't find (or buy )that, then the 9mm 147grn XTP is a good runner up. http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger

Compare terminal ballistics with that boutique RIP stuff. 2 things a HD bullet must do: Penetrate deeply, and penetrate deeply.

100% agree, you may not get good penetration with that small, light, flat disc after the daggers fragment away which could happen quickly after going through a couple of layers of clothing and then hitting bone IMHO. This too is just my opinion but I can certainly imagine feeding problems with the irregular shape of those bullets.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
2 things a HD bullet must do: Penetrate deeply, and penetrate deeply.

Exactly!!! That's why I prefer LSWC, RNFP or TCFP.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I've never tried them so I don't know definitively. I've never done a comparison.

BUT my sense is that if you want a good PD round, ask a LEO what they have in their duty gun. I have Hornady XTP-HPs in my pistols (after asking) when they're loaded for defense. I don't mess with the "exotic" stuff.

Speer Gold Dots also do a very credible job and despite their relative age a lot of LEOs carry them in their service pistols.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
There definitely can be too much penetration in a home defense scenario. E.g. you shoot the bad guy and the bullet goes through and hits a family member in the next room. Or you miss and the bullet goes through a couple of light walls and hits the wrong person.

Lots of penetration is useful when the perp is in a car or behind a strong barrier but those are not HD problems. You want enough penetration to stop the bad guy but enough is enough and good high performance defensive rounds give that.

RichardHawks2

Bearcat
GunnyGene said:

Thanks so much for the response. I am a new gun owner and haven't quite learned all of the appropriate lingo and/or word positionings just yet to get the answers that I seek.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Quality ammo is just as important as a quality firearm. Just like every gun doesn't have the be a Sig or a colt (nor their usual price ranges), I doubt I would by a high-point. Same with ammo... YOu don't always need the $1 a round ammo, but don't buy the poorly made stuff either.

RichardHawks2

Bearcat
Yawn said:
Quality ammo is just as important as a quality firearm. Just like every gun doesn't have the be a Sig or a colt (nor their usual price ranges), I doubt I would by a high-point. Same with ammo... YOu don't always need the $1 a round ammo, but don't buy the poorly made stuff either.

Thanks so much. This is definitely the best advice.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
GunnyGene said:
There definitely can be too much penetration in a home defense scenario. E.g. you shoot the bad guy and the bullet goes through and hits a family member in the next room. Or you miss and the bullet goes through a couple of light walls and hits the wrong person.

Lots of penetration is useful when the perp is in a car or behind a strong barrier but those are not HD problems. You want enough penetration to stop the bad guy but enough is enough and good high performance defensive rounds give that.

I will agree to a point; that is that the individual situation (wall construction, proximity to neighbors, etc. ) is one of several factors in choice of ammo, but it is not necessarily the sole governing factor. For example, my wife & I live over a quarter mile thru dense forest from our nearest neighbor. Over penetration is not a concern for us at all. If we lived in some multi-unit apartment with paper thin walls, it probably would enter into my selection, but even then it would be a relatively minor consideration.

The other thing is if you carry, and are concerned about stray bullets, would you default to .22 shorts or a bb gun? Maybe a paintball gun? :wink: I doubt it. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Yawn said:

Agreed. The first thing I do is research the advertised performance characteristics of a new to me caliber. Then I'll buy a box of each of the top 3 or 4 and test them on various homemade "Box 'o Truth" targets. The winner gets my money. I've found that cost does not always correlate well with performance. :)

My criteria for this is the usual: Feed and ejection, accuracy, terminal ballistics, etc.

GunnyGene said:
...Agreed. The first thing I do is research the advertised performance characteristics of a new to me caliber. Then I'll buy a box of each of the top 3 or 4 and test them on various homemade "Box 'o Truth" targets. The winner gets my money. I've found that cost does not always correlate well with performance. :)

My criteria for this is the usual: Feed and ejection, accuracy, terminal ballistics, etc.

Good advice there. I only have revolvers so feed and ejection aren't part of my equation but I've said on other threads that white box Winchester 38+P works great and is relatively inexpensive. They don't feel much different than a 38 special in my LCR, they go bang every time, they're accurate, and when I shot them into water jugs to check expansion I got basically the same results as this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4d8T-9T1Js

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Captain America said:
GunnyGene said:
...Agreed. The first thing I do is research the advertised performance characteristics of a new to me caliber. Then I'll buy a box of each of the top 3 or 4 and test them on various homemade "Box 'o Truth" targets. The winner gets my money. I've found that cost does not always correlate well with performance. :)

Good advice there. I only have revolvers so feed and ejection aren't part of my equation but I've said on other threads that white box Winchester 38+P works great and is relatively inexpensive. They don't feel much different than a 38 special in my LCR, they go bang every time, they're accurate, and when I shot them into water jugs to check expansion I got basically the same results as this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4d8T-9T1Js

Revolvers have different aspects with ammo of course, but I have had occasional problems with a case being difficult to extract from the cylinder with different brands. Due to tiny differences in case size I suspect.

I also keep an eye on new products that look promising, and have dropped "old reliables" a couple times in favor of a new offering over the last 50 years or so. But it took some convincing - I'm not a early adopter type of anything. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DixieBoy said:
http://www.realguns.com/articles/766.htm

And just to offer you another choice, here is a great and thorough review of Ruger's new ARX self defense pistol
ammunition. It runs the gamut from .380acp, .40S&W, 9mm, and .45acp.

I think you'll find Joe's testing and write up helpful. Also, his comparison rounds (in this article he tests Ruger's
ARX in .380 and .45) are good ones too: Hornady, and the often overlooked Remington Golden Saber rounds.

This guy's site is one of my favorites. - DixieBoy

Not to be nit picky, but Ruger is simply a new distributor for Polycase which developed the design a couple years ago. http://www.polycaseammo.com/ The only difference might be the price. Performance wise, the ARX does as well as more traditional hp bullets of roughly equivalent weight, from what I've read and videos I've watched, but with less felt recoil, so that is somewhat of an advantage. They are considerably more expensive tho (~ $1.00/rnd), so for me the reduced recoil is not worth the added cost.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Bullett performance has come a long way in the last number of years. Bullet design for defence now is designed to penetrate at 13" no matter what caliber you choose.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jimjc said:
Bullett performance has come a long way in the last number of years. Bullet design for defence now is designed to penetrate at 13" no matter what caliber you choose.

That's in gel. Would be significantly less in flesh & bone. A chest shot might make it 4 or 5 inches penetration if you get lucky.

Yawn

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Yawn said:

Agreed. The first thing I do is research the advertised performance characteristics of a new to me caliber. Then I'll buy a box of each of the top 3 or 4 and test them on various homemade "Box 'o Truth" targets. The winner gets my money. I've found that cost does not always correlate well with performance. :)

I do something similar... And when I find what works well... I buy it like it is the only kind available.