Ruger American 45acp test drive

Help Support Ruger Forum:

neilin

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Where is the striker blocker? I don't see it in the parts diagram.
In the manual on page 11, Ruger states "There is an internal striker blocker and a passive trigger safety, but there are no additional safety devices in this model." I find part 26 in the diagram called a blocker. As Bearcat said it is not what we are used to seeing.

neilin

Bearcat
Blackhawk does not make a holster for the RAP. However; Blackhawk Serpia Concealment Holster #31 for the Springfield XD Sub-Compact works with both the Ruger American Pistol calibers 9mm and .45 Auto, if you remove the plastic spring insert. Try your RAP in it before buying to see if it is to your liking. Personally, I am pleased with it. Although they call their holsters "concealment" I find them hard to conceal.

neilin

Bearcat
neilin said:
THE RUGER AMERICAN PISTOL .45 AUTO
There is some good, bad, and ugly.
I will start with THE UGLY: The trigger with its mini trigger safety is ugly. Also, with my initial firing the trigger safety pin was walking out.
THE BAD: I called Ruger and they said send it in. I did, and received it back in less than a week. Man, I thought that was cool! When I opened the box I found the pin was in the same position (as when I sent it). I test fired anyway, and the pin started walking out more. I went back home and staked the pin myself, put 90 rounds through it. Looks like my stake job worked.
THE GOOD: With 143 rounds through the Ruger American Pistol .45 Auto, I find it to be more accurate than the Ruger American Pistol 9mm. There is an internal striker blocker. My hands are medium sized and all shooting was a pleasure! Some have said they experienced some thumb knuckle beating of a sort. I did not. My friend who shot it did not. He loves the gun and has a large hand.
CONCLUSION: Thus far I really like the pistol, both the 9mm and the .45 Auto. Try one, you might like it.
I now have 243 rounds through the Ruger American Pistol .45 Auto. Somewhere around 200 rounds, the trigger safety pin came out. The pin is lost, but the trigger safety and trigger safety spring were saved. I have shot 40 or so rounds through it since the trigger safety fell out. The RAP 45 shoots well that way.
I called Ruger today. They said they had restaked the pin the first time they had it back, and told me to send it to them again. They said they will replace the trigger assembly this time. The RAP 45 is on its way back to Ruger. I really enjoy shooting the RAP 45, and await its return with anticipation.

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
The M+P will do the same thing when you insert a mag on slide lock.(slide going forward).
It never bothered me and after you're used it it, it can speed reloads.

My two cents

19ontheslide

Bearcat
DNS said:
So the gun can still be fired if the trigger safety is out?

Of course. It's just a copy of the Glock trigger safety, a pivoting blade that interfaces with the frame and ensures the trigger can only be pulled if the pressure is applied to the front face of the trigger. It really only helps keep the weapon from discharging in the event that the sides of the trigger get brushed on something (sides of a holster, garment, etc.), so if you remove it completely you're just left with a functioning trigger sans pivoting blade thingy.

neilin

Bearcat
DNS said:
So the gun can still be fired if the trigger safety is out?
Yes, so we can bet our lifes on the gun even if the trigger safety falls out, as on my RAP 45.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The SR's had some problems with parts coming out too. Alot of folks reported the camblock pins coming out. The pin that holds the mag release liked to drift out on my SR9c, a bit of superglue corrected it.

neilin

Bearcat
neilin said:
neilin said:
THE RUGER AMERICAN PISTOL .45 AUTO
There is some good, bad, and ugly.
I will start with THE UGLY: The trigger with its mini trigger safety is ugly. Also, with my initial firing the trigger safety pin was walking out.
THE BAD: I called Ruger and they said send it in. I did, and received it back in less than a week. Man, I thought that was cool! When I opened the box I found the pin was in the same position (as when I sent it). I test fired anyway, and the pin started walking out more. I went back home and staked the pin myself, put 90 rounds through it. Looks like my stake job worked.
THE GOOD: With 143 rounds through the Ruger American Pistol .45 Auto, I find it to be more accurate than the Ruger American Pistol 9mm. There is an internal striker blocker. My hands are medium sized and all shooting was a pleasure! Some have said they experienced some thumb knuckle beating of a sort. I did not. My friend who shot it did not. He loves the gun and has a large hand.
CONCLUSION: Thus far I really like the pistol, both the 9mm and the .45 Auto. Try one, you might like it.
I now have 243 rounds through the Ruger American Pistol .45 Auto. Somewhere around 200 rounds, the trigger safety pin came out. The pin is lost, but the trigger safety and trigger safety spring were saved. I have shot 40 or so rounds through it since the trigger safety fell out. The RAP 45 shoots well that way.
I called Ruger today. They said they had restaked the pin the first time they had it back, and told me to send it to them again. They said they will replace the trigger assembly this time. The RAP 45 is on its way back to Ruger. I really enjoy shooting the RAP 45, and await its return with anticipation.
My RAP 45 came back from Ruger, today. A quick turn around, again. This time they replaced the trigger assembly, what should have been done the first time. I went to the range with a box of Prefecta .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ. I was disappointed when I could not fire more than 3 or 4 rounds without a failure to feed. Most would not even come out the magazine. It was strange. The Prefecta rounds were even a bid hard to put in the mags. I tried 3 other brands of .45 and some reloads. The factories were 230 gr FMJ, and the reloads were 225 gr LRN Missouri Bullit Co. Including 20 rounds of Prefecta, I put 141 rounds down range, putting a total of 384 rounds through my RAP 45. No problems at all, except for the PREFECTA. The Prefecta rounds look clean, however they feel kind of dirty. I will not buy any more Prefecta .45 (Prefecta 9mm worked fine in my RAP 9mm.) The grip is ever so slightly loose, but not noticeable during shooting. Ignoring the two trips back to Ruger for repair, I really enjoy the RAP 45.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Do you mean, the interchangeable grip shell is loose? Have you made sure it is installed correctly and the locking screw is turned in all the way? That would irritate the crud out of me on my gun.

neilin

Bearcat
Since this is a Ruger Forum, I feel I can say this about Glocks: Today a friend showed me his Glock which he recently had a 3 1/2 pound trigger installed. Dry fire the Glock with a 3 1/2 pound trigger pull, then dry fire a Ruger American Pistol and you will see what Glock is aspiring to be. Ruger American Pistol. Anything else would be Un-American.

neilin

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Do you mean, the interchangeable grip shell is loose? Have you made sure it is installed correctly and the locking screw is turned in all the way? That would irritate the crud out of me on my gun.
Yes, I know what you mean. I feel some give in the backstrap when I pick up the gun, from say a table, but I do not feel it when shooting. That is why I have not complained about it thus far.

Latest posts