Difficulty getting magazine to latch in SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdame90

Bearcat
Hello, I purchased an sr9c about a year ago and have about 500 rounds through it. I've noticed from the get go that when trying to insert the magazine, it doesn't latch unless it's slammed into the gun. How can this be fixed?

Please help.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Depending on how hard you have to slam it, it might be normal. Are you inserting a full mag with the slide closed? If so, you are pushing against the bottom of the slide with the top cartridge and must overcome the spring pressure. Try opening the slide. Does an empty mag insert easily?

kdame90

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply. I've tried both slide open and slide closed as well as full magazine and empty magazine, each seem to be equally as difficult. It takes multiple attempts to successfully get the magazine to latch securely. My fear is that in a hurried situation I would lose valuable time trying to get the magazine to latch.

findlayref19

Bearcat
My mags are not difficult to get latched into the well. A little bump on the bottom will get the job done even with a closed slide. If you have the same issue with multiple magazines I would have your pistol inspected by a gunsmith or take advantage of Ruger's customer service and warranty and have them check it out.

DrDenby

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum, kdame.

There is a tab on the slide release lever that the magazine pushes against, and I am willing to bet that it is bent up slightly.

I do not know what your level of gunsmithing ability is. It is not too difficult of a job to replace and Ruger will send you a new lever and spring BUT

They could also email you a FedEx overnight shipping label and you can send it in to them and have it back in probably no more than a couple weeks.

You might as well let them take care of it on their own dime and let them pay the overnight shipping both ways.

Their customer service is top notch. Go ahead and take advantage of it.

Doc

kdame90

Bearcat
Thank you all so much. I am definitely going to get a hold of Ruger as its become a nuisance. I appreciate all of the feedback!

jeffmb

Single-Sixer
Not sure if this will work but it worked for me. My wife had the same problem with her LCP. I removed the plastic base piece from the magazine and rubbed it on some sandpaper to remove just a bit. Worked like a charm!