serpa

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rflowd

Bearcat
Does anyone know the size of the serpa Blackhawk paddle holster I would for my sr45?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AFAIK, Serpa holster are sized to a specific gun model, they are not a "will fit". Check Blackhawk's web site and see if they list one for that particular gun. If not, you need something else.

Blackhawk! shows a size for the SR9. I don't know if there is are any dimensional differences between the SR9 and SR45.

Black, Right Hand... These come with belt loops and a paddle. I've used these holsters with belt loops and I'm well pleased. Not so much the paddle.

410041BK-R

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Holsters-Duty-Gear/Holsters/Concealment/Injection-Molded/SERPA%C2%AE-CQC%C2%AE-Concealment-Holster-Carbon-Fiber-Finis.aspx

22/45 Fan

Hunter
WAYNO said:
Blackhawk! shows a size for the SR9. I don't know if there is are any dimensional differences between the SR9 and SR45.
There are at least a couple. The SR9 has a 4.14" barrel and is 7.5" long overall. The SR45 has a 4.5" barrel and is 8" long overall. The widths are the same so the 45 might fit a 9's holster but the muzzle may stick out a bit.

Yawn

Blackhawk
MY SR45 will fit in my SR9 Crossbreed Supertuck Hybrid Holster. But it will not fit in my all Kidex OWB holster. The Hybrid has enough give in the leather to expand for it... Though you can see the extra wear on the leather side. Their isn't enough give on the all Kydex Holster. The little extra width CAN make a difference in a tight, snug holster.

JTQ

Bearcat
Even though there are a lot of folks that use "generic fit" with their SERPA holsters, I'd not do that with a holster that locks in the trigger guard. There is some slop in the SERPA since the retention is provided by the lock rather than the shape of the holster, so you can often put a gun not designed for your SERPA in your holster, but I'd get a SERPA designed specifically for your gun.

Here's my unsolicited SERPA rant. First off, I always assume all SERPA users are safe and properly trained in the operation of their holster, so I'm taking the "shoot yourself" issue off the table.

For most holster users, they are looking for either a concealment holster or a range/training/competition holster. The SERPA is a poor concealment holster as the gun is held away from the body, and the grip is not pulled to the body. For a range/training/competition use, why would you want a lock on your holster? Those you are training/competing with typically won't have a lock on their holster and you'd be at a disadvantage.

Certainly, there are places where the SERPA is a reasonable choice, ATV riding, hunting, fishing, some military applications, or even open carry. However, if you need a lock on your holster you're probably better off with a Safariland holster.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I had to buy a Safariland for my SR45 as it wouldn't fit in my Serpa.

Yawn

Blackhawk
JTQ said:
Even though there are a lot of folks that use "generic fit" with their SERPA holsters, I'd not do that with a holster that locks in the trigger guard. There is some slop in the SERPA since the retention is provided by the lock rather than the shape of the holster, so you can often put a gun not designed for your SERPA in your holster, but I'd get a SERPA designed specifically for your gun.

Here's my unsolicited SERPA rant. First off, I always assume all SERPA users are safe and properly trained in the operation of their holster, so I'm taking the "shoot yourself" issue off the table.

For most holster users, they are looking for either a concealment holster or a range/training/competition holster. The SERPA is a poor concealment holster as the gun is held away from the body, and the grip is not pulled to the body. For a range/training/competition use, why would you want a lock on your holster? Those you are training/competing with typically won't have a lock on their holster and you'd be at a disadvantage.

Certainly, there are places where the SERPA is a reasonable choice, ATV riding, hunting, fishing, some military applications, or even open carry. However, if you need a lock on your holster you're probably better off with a Safariland holster.

Good points here, though I used a holster like this for around the house.