SR45 or american pistol ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I would choose the new American Pistol as I own the SR45 and I am not a fan of that pistol. The American feels better and has a better trigger and better fit options, however that is MY opinion and you should decide which you prefer.

The RAP that has been released has no mag disconnect or manual safety, what Ruger is referring to as the Pro model, that may be a consideration as well, do you want a manual safety?

Good luck with your decision. If you decide to purchase the SR, I would wait as prices will begin to drop with the intro of the RAP....my guess.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I am skeptical of carrying a fully cocked firearm with only a trigger safety. Glocks are "half-cocked", same with the SR's. 1911's are fully cocked, but can also be locked manually, and have a grip safety. I have the SR45 and carry it daily. Very reliable, and feels great in the hand.

jammer

Single-Sixer
Sr40c or 9c..... hands down. You said ccw. Like someone said above, wait for the american compact model. And even then I would have to be skeptical of that trigger. If you're new to carrying on a daily basis, think real hard. Form follows function. Do not be allured by a pretty or cool looking gun opposed to what is functionally a better choice. Same goes for cars bikes and women. :)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I don't plan on buying one but if I where I suppose I'd wait to see what they do with it. I'd take a close look and compare it with a Glock 30, then again against my sr40c. I'd be looking for the measurement between the top of the slide and the bottom of the grip to make sure it wasn't going to print more than the others. Then ask myself if it really brings anything new to the table that I feel I really need.

It's an unknown at this point, but that would be how I went about it. I expect it would be a wash for me and I'd buy nothing new, but I keep my mind open and will be interested to see how the compact is.

Mike J

Hunter
If Ruger has announced a compact version of this pistol I am not aware of it. With that said it is likely that at some point they will make a smaller version. I can not tell you whether or not the American pistol is a better choice than the SR 45 or not as I have not shot either of them. There are a lot of reviews & posts by people who own & have shot the SR 45. There are some reviews of the American pistol out but they are just now getting into the hands of the public. Personally if I thought I wanted the American based on the features it offers I would wait a while. While I was waiting I would watch the forum boards for posts about the American by people that actually own it. If after 3-6 months I saw more positive posts than negative I would start shopping for the best deal.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
To each his own. I have Ruger's SR9C and LC9S. I wouldn't carry the American since it has no manual safety. I LOVE the LCI on the SR and miss it on the LC, but I can live with out it for the smaller lighter convenience when the situation calls for it. Otherwise, my SR9C is my preferred EDC. Don't need another one and sure wouldn't trade it in for the American.

But I do understand personal preference. To each his own.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
I'd purchase a RAP hands down. The SR's are old news now, the RAP is replacing it. There will be a full line of RAP's coming along. If there was anything wrong with the new RAP's I believe, without a doubt Ruger would fix it period. Remember the SR's had some problems and Ruger took care of them.

If you want the SR then wait for the prices to drop to get rid of them for the RAP.

Yawn

Blackhawk
jimjc said:
I'd purchase a RAP hands down. The SR's are old news now, the RAP is replacing it. There will be a full line of RAP's coming along. If there was anything wrong with the new RAP's I believe, without a doubt Ruger would fix it period. Remember the SR's had some problems and Ruger took care of them.

If you want the SR then wait for the prices to drop to get rid of them for the RAP.

Other than a concern for parts, which isn't really a concern for most people... why on earth would a gun being old news versus new news matter at all? Highpoints have new news, I certainly wouldn't likely waste my money on one of them.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Guns these days are guns .... Especially the plastic stuff. The triggers are so bad in these things that ANY improvement tends to be perceived as 'incredible' when in reality, they STILL are horrible. The whole idea that newer is newer and therefore HAS to be better is also a silly position to take. I'll take proven before newer anytime.

Most new gun owners read all the garbage in the gun rags where supposed gun guys gush about all the new guns ... Good or not ... And entice new owners to buy the product ... The same product that also bought a 3 page ad in the same mag on adjoining pages. Duh .... Did you expect a bad review ?

That exact attitude of newer being intrinsically better is exhibited time and again right here on this forum.

The degrees of improvement and functionality in most aspects are so minute in most cases as to be almost impossible to tell, yet some say things like 'vast improvement' and 'night and day' ... And then we have the gun rag gun guy sayings like ... I'll be making room in my safe for this gun ... Or ... I'll be sending a check instead of the gun when this trial period is over ... Or ... This gun is a keeper ....

REV