My Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have always Loved Ruger but never liked the loaded chamber indicator on their polymer guns. I do know you can get a SR series with out that now but I already had an M&P 9mm so I just never bought it. I noticed Ruger put this new American series out a couple days ago. I watch some YouTube videos on it and decided that I was going to trade my M&P in for the American.
Went to the LGS today and did exactly that. I did not see them on the shelf so I asked the owner if he had gotten any and he said that he was so busy that he had not put them on the shelf yet. He unboxed the 4 that he received and gave me one of the boxes that was a 9mm. I ended up bringing it home and he kept the M&P.
Very happy with it. I will get it to the range tomorrow. I like that it comes with three back straps just like the M&P. No Manual Safety and Novak style sights. All Stainless. Great feel in my hand and good overall fit. Only thing that does bother me a little bit is the magazine release. It is a little more proud than the M&P series and I can feel it between my trigger finger and middle finger while my finger is on the trigger. I don't see it as a problem but you know it is there. I put my Streamlight TLR2-HL on it and it fits better than it did on the M&P. So far very happy with it and I have no doubt that it will preform flawless on the range. One more comment about it that they took from SIG, you do not have to strike out or use a lever to disassemble. Lock slide back swing the take down lever and the slide comes right off. Easier than a Glock actually.

Emmerdeur

Bearcat
I just picked up the same pistol today as well. Going to try and get to the range a little later today.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I will get the 9mm instead of the beretta 92fs I've been wanting and save some $ to fill a niche. Nice looking pistol.

Mike J

Hunter
I would be interested to learn what y'all think of your new pistols after a range trip. Probably not buying anything right now but I may consider one in the future.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I took it out today and just fired one magazine though it. It was an easy shooter and accurate at 15 yards, did not go any further back do to only one magazine. Is it better than my M&P was, No probably not. But it does have all the features that not one gun has till now.
Worked well and I am very happy. I am not much of a S&W kinda guy anyway. I usually only buy Ruger and Marlin. This pistol put me back into a Ruger FS 9mm for home defense instead of the S&W.

Emmerdeur

Bearcat
Posted my report in another thread if anyone is interested

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=233149&p=2340188#p2340188

Rabon

Single-Sixer
The lack of an LCI is a non issue as the external extractor is the indicator, these guns look good and I am some what interested in them.

I picked up my "True" Ruger American Pistol today. I say true because I purchased the 45acp model. I really do not think that 9mm is very American but what do I know. This is my first venture into the polymer world of pistols in the 45acp caliber. I am a big fan of the 1911 model but since I am such a Ruger advocate and already own a SR1911, I decided to give the model #8615 a try. I took it out in the back yard and fired a few clips through it and found out the good, the bad and the ugly. There is a lot of good and not too much bad or ugly. You will like the price. I purchased mine for less than $500 which is $75 under mfg list price. The price is competitive with the competition. You do get an extra mag but no holster, mag holder or other goodies. You will like the recoil, it has a new recoil reducing barrel. The nitride coating, different wrap around grips, ambidextrous slide/magazine controls, no external rear safety/lever are all good. It has an easy takedown system which is nice for the beginner and there is no mag safety, it will fire with no mag in the well. It does have Novak sights which are easily changed out. (shopruger.com already has a selection of available options.) The other thing you will not like is the beating the top portion of your thumb knuckle will take after firing a few rounds down the pipe. This is my only real complaint. It is an ergonomic mishap on Ruger's part. The top portion of the grip, where it meets the slide, is just not correct. The contour is just not right, this will be the big complaint that you hear from this gun. I first thought is was just me but after letting a few of my friends try it out, they struggled with it also. We tried different grips but that did not seem to be the answer. I should state, not everyone had this problem but the problem can not be ignored. Personally, I think a little time/effort/machining/etc may correct the problem. Last but not least, after emptying a mag and inserting a full mag, the slide will disengage and move forward. Not good if you have your finger inside the guard! It happened only twice but it will need some attention to detail for sure. I really, really, suggest that any of you considering buying one, go to your local gun shop/range and try one out. Check out ruger.com for participating locations or you can borrow mine if you like. Happy New Year Everyone!

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Good purchase. I like the RAP and I'll be getting one as soon as I find the right price on one. It's no doubt a advancement over the SR. I like the looks, it has more of a military look to it than the SR. I'm just hoping that the grip is better than the SR because it didn't fit me at all. Hoping it's more like my M&P FS.