LCP magazine disconnect? Yes or No?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I bought an LCP when they first came out, and sold it a short time later. I haven't owned one since, or even handled one. I am considering buying one at the current low prices (I know that Ruger will probably announce a new LCP-S at the SHOT show, but I figure they won't be readily available for a while.)

My question is this: does the LCP have a magazine disconnect? I have read several articles saying there is none, and a couple saying that it had a mag disconnect. I figured I would ask actual owners for the real information.

Thanks!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
I bought an LCP when they first came out, and sold it a short time later. I haven't owned one since, or even handled one. I am considering buying one at the current low prices (I know that Ruger will probably announce a new LCP-S at the SHOT show, but I figure they won't be readily available for a while.)

My question is this: does the LCP have a magazine disconnect? I have read several articles saying there is none, and a couple saying that it had a mag disconnect. I figured I would ask actual owners for the real information.

Thanks!

It does not have a mag disconnect.

From the Ruger Owner manual:

In the event that the magazine is missing or for training purposes (where it is
desirable that only one cartridge be loaded and fired at a time for safety), the
pistol can be fired with the magazine removed

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Suggest you contact the authors of articles claiming the LCP has a disconnect, and let them know they are in the wrong profession.

GKC

Blackhawk
Thank you for the replies and confirmation. In at least one article, after going back and reading it again, the author was talking about the LC 380, and not the LCP. Apparently Google thinks they are one and the same! I can't blame the author for my search results and poor reading comprehension. There was one other, though, that the author claimed to have inspected the LCP in a gun shop and rejected it as a carry gun on his gun dealer's advice because it had a magazine disconnect safety.

Anyway, thanks...now to decide: buy now or wait. If I wait, it may be a long wait. If I buy now, a vastly improved new model will be announced at SHOT and be immediately available in every local gun shop within driving distance of me, and on sale. :lol:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
Thank you for the replies and confirmation. In at least one article, after going back and reading it again, the author was talking about the LC 380, and not the LCP. Apparently Google thinks they are one and the same! I can't blame the author for my search results and poor reading comprehension. There was one other, though, that the author claimed to have inspected the LCP in a gun shop and rejected it as a carry gun on his gun dealer's advice because it had a magazine disconnect safety.

Anyway, thanks...now to decide: buy now or wait. If I wait, it may be a long wait. If I buy now, a vastly improved new model will be announced at SHOT and be immediately available in every local gun shop within driving distance of me, and on sale. :lol:

This is why I never rely on magazine articles, Google, etc. I always go to the source.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its amazing how many articles profess to give technical details, but cannot get the model number or name correct!
How sad the command of the english language and proofreading skills are so rare these days.

swmetal

Bearcat
gramps said:
What does the s in LCPs mean?
gramps

The "s" is for striker fired, but there is no LCPs, at least not yet. There is speculation that Ruger will release an updated LCP that is striker fired at the upcoming SHOT show. Similar to how they updated the hammer fired LC9 to the striker fired LC9s. But it is only speculation at this point.

5of7

Hunter
GKC said:

If I were you, I would wait to see what develops on the LCPs thing. The shot show is not that far down the road, and Ruger has lately been making new models available soon after they are announced to the public.

GKC

Blackhawk
Well, I was browsing in my local gun shop today (which is always dangerous to the wallet) and they had a brand new LCP for $229...so I plunked my money down. I figure my wife is going to want one too, and we can wait to see what comes out (if they do) with a striker fired model...or maybe get her a LC9S. She will carry it in her purse, which is about the size and shape of a bathtub, so she can go a bit bigger than I can in my pocket. :lol: