Something new

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Sweet! MORE INFO NEEDED.....its in SA pistols though so my guess is....SR45c. :wink:

There goes $400. :shock: Its that easy Ruger!

mn_doggie

Bearcat
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/28/breaking-ruger-release-new-polymer-framed-striker-fired-ruger-american-pistol-9mm-45-acp/

BREAKING: Ruger To Release New Polymer-Framed Striker-Fired "Ruger American" Pistol In 9mm and .45 ACP

I will wait to see it in person before I make a decision, from everything I have heard this pistol was designed to be in the running for the next Military standard issue pistol. It has a short, crisp trigger and a removable chassis, which is the serial numbered part (firearm) like the SIG 320...I think I may like it better than the SR series...but I have been disappointed before.

5of7

Hunter
I'm thinking that with the LCPs being sold out at $100 less that the normal price, that a new improved LCP just about has to be in the offing....no? 8)

5of7 said:
I'm thinking that with the LCPs being sold out at $100 less that the normal price, that a new improved LCP just about has to be in the offing....no? 8)

5of7
That is a possibility...or the market is saturated and Ruger is reducing inventory at year end....it seems that the LCP was overpriced and now, pricing reflects the market value closer, only time will tell.....

RonS

Single-Sixer
I kind of expected more excitement here, it looks like a serious run at the DOD contract. I expect to see different slide barrel lengths and grip lengths coming since it is a polymer grip over metal frame.

If it is an attempt to capture the US military sidearm they had to have done their homework on the engineering and test side, nothing would be worse than to not get the contract because of reliability issues.

Fingers crossed for Ruger and looking forward to seeing one in person.

hittman

Staff member
No excitement here for a plastic semi-auto. Looks a lot like a Springfield XD or Smiff & Western M&P to me.

Other internet info (yeah, you get what you pay for!) talks about a long gritty trigger; similar to LC9 and LCP.

DOD contract? Seems like a very, very long shot to me. Ruger isn't exactly well known to be a serious player there.

Al James

Hunter
hittman said:
No excitement here for a plastic semi-auto. Looks a lot like a Springfield XD or Smiff & Western M&P to me.

Other internet info (yeah, you get what you pay for!) talks about a long gritty trigger; similar to LC9 and LCP.

DOD contract? Seems like a very, very long shot to me. Ruger isn't exactly well known to be a serious player there.

Interesting read on the subject. Makes the RAP a little more interesting.

http://bearingarms.com/top-three-contenders-u-s-militarys-xm17-modular-handgun-system-contract/

hittman

Staff member
Didn't they scrap that project in the six months since that article hit print? Ruger pulled out totally?

Al James

Hunter
Here's some more recent news:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/02/breaking-us-army-finally-releases-solicitation-for-xm17-mhs/

They seem to always wish and wash back and forth 7-15 times before finally making a decision to eventually make a decision to make a change.

hittman

Staff member
My company has had more than one chance to bid on government work ...... my reasons for not doing it were the same as what Mr. Fifer outlines in the article.

Yeah, things like 351 pages of details ...... :roll:

The 351-page solicitation details key features required of competing handguns........

But the likely challenge for competitors is navigating the intricacies of the military's program and costs — reasons why Mike Fifer, chief executive officer of Sturm, Ruger & Company, told investors in July during a conference call why Ruger is not participating.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/02/breaking-us-army-finally-releases-solicitation-for-xm17-mhs/

RonS

Single-Sixer
"If you win it, obviously you're in the capital receipt for the next 25 years, but I have a feeling competing for it's going to be a little bit like being hit against a brick wall, and you'll feel real good when you stop," he said.

So true, so funny.

I had the chance to help with a quote package for a product that was part of an assembly for a USN submarine project. One single, mandatory test fixture for testing impact resistance would have cost more than all the profit our parts would have earned for 5 years. Having see the DODs tendency to quote 50 ships and build three, or quote 300 planes and build 25, it seemed like a huge risk with little return.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I would rather they stick with the civilian market and not become like Colt. Stale product line, apathetic to the civilian market, and completely unable to keep the doors open without DOD money. No thanks!!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
I would rather they stick with the civilian market and not become like Colt. Stale product line, apathetic to the civilian market, and completely unable to keep the doors open without DOD money. No thanks!!

Know your history.

Colt was taken over by anti-gunners at that time and really decided that the government market was the way to go and screw the civilian market, they shouldn't have guns. That was the beginning of the end, you don't come back from that.
They tried like hell but it was like trying to unbury yourself after you threw the shovel away.

Ruger has done well in the civilian market, I can't see them dumb enough to go into a suicide spin like Colt did.