SR9C Rear Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DT Jacob

Bearcat
Trying to adjust the elevation on the rear sight, cannot turn the screw. I have loosened the locking screw, not sure I have loosened it enough, how far does it have to be backed out???? Not using a large screwdriver, don't think that should be necessary, nor do I think a lot of force should be required on this screw..... Thoughts????

Thanks,
Don

DT Jacob

Bearcat
OK, after looking at the parts diagram, I decided to give this another try. First off, the lock screw is only for windage, so it doesn't need to be touched. Got a slightly larger, but still pocket sized, screwdriver & I was able to turn the screw. The screw is TIGHT, but it did not show any signs of being about to break. All is good..........

SP101_GUY15

Bearcat
Same gun same problem with the rear sight. SR9C was bought new in box at a local gun shop. Mine won't budge for elevation adjustment. Elevation screw will not loosen up to raise or lower the rear sight. May have to send back to Ruger.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
While not SR-9c specific, here is a thought or two to try ---

Elevation screws often have detents that lock them in place in order to hold the adjustment.

Try pushing down on the sight itself to give the screw a "little breathing room", then try turning the screw. Unfortunately this will not work if the sight is all ready ALL the way down and has no where to move when you push down on the sight base.

Also, try a little Kroil or Liquid Wrench on the screw.

On a used gun, someone might have used Loctite so try a little heat to loosen things up.