New to me P89. Pic added.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Killer

Bearcat
Just bought a used P89, decocker, stainless, with one 15 round mag and no box for $250. Has LPA target sights. I called Ruger to buy a set of stock sights and the nice lady there shipped all the parts to me for free! Thanks Ruger!

Took the slide all apart to clean and lube it, wow, that's unpleasant! Definitely need three hands to get the decock levers off and the firing pin out. It's all back together, works fine and no parts left over...lol.

dwd

Single-Sixer
shoot the heck out of it, you'll love it
nice buy by the way

roylt

Hunter
Why change the sites?! Those are rare now a days. Post them for sale here if you do swap them.
Post a pic of the pistol too :)

nosticks

Bearcat
I've had mine since the DC came out. It has digested thousands of rounds and has never jammed or misfired. It will shoot the worse fodder you can find. Good buy.

Killer

Bearcat

It's missing the elevation screw in the rear sight that's why it sits so high. I emailed LPA about buying the screw but haven't heard back, I may have to call them. They're in Italy.

I think I actually like the 89 slightly better than the 95... but that is a hard call.. the nice thing about the 89 is you can change out the grips, Which I did on both my de-cockers.

Welcome and congratulations.

roylt

Hunter
That is nice! I would get an older stainless slide stop lever and the screw for the sight but that is it. Keeper for sure. I will try to find the LPA sights I have and see if I can tell what screw it is. You should be able to find something if LPA doesn't step up. Those sights are about 100 bucks right there and the smithing is done.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Razor

Bearcat
Very nice! Good deal on it, too! Most of the ones I've seen lately are $300+ and well worn.
I managed to find one in great shape for $275 early this year.

Al James

Hunter
Great gun OP! I'm guessing a 309- prefix? Every P89DC I have ran into through the years has run 100% and been plenty accurate for its intended use. Let us know how you end up liking it!

Guncrzy

Bearcat
Nice find I have always enjoyed my P series guns . I have a P89DC and a P85 MKII that my dad carried as duty weapons. Started out with an original P85 as my first 9mm.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Good lord, Ya gotta love the P89 Killer, cause it's connected to yer name.

Over KILL !

Think that's an insult,...It's not.

Owned many a RUGER (still own many) over the last 3 decades plus....

Certain Rugers are built to handle way beyond the caliber they are designed for.
Yer P89 perfect example.
Simple ,rugged,reliable gun......Betting it will handle hotter rounds than my P95.

I love older Ruger designs, less part = less parts to break down.

Own a P91...betting the same general size.....40 SW caliber.
Added CT laser grips and night sites, but never messed with the "innards"
One of my most trusted guns.

Ya made a cool purchase---Kudo's.

P.S.
blume357,
Yer right about the grips!

Added Hogue Handall grip to my P95...works great.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Killer said:
Just bought a used P89, decocker, stainless, with one 15 round mag and no box for $250

gutterman said:
Good buy! Just picked up a p89dc off GB for $255. Was one of my first autos...Glad to have one again. Enjoy!!

Razor said:

I've been told you can't get P series guns for these prices ... But I did too ... $225 for a P89 and $250 for a P91. :D

REV

Al James

Hunter
revhigh said:
Killer said:
Just bought a used P89, decocker, stainless, with one 15 round mag and no box for $250

gutterman said:
Good buy! Just picked up a p89dc off GB for $255. Was one of my first autos...Glad to have one again. Enjoy!!

Razor said:

I've been told you can't get P series guns for these prices ... But I did too ... $225 for a P89 and $250 for a P91. :D

REV

What year was that Rev? :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
The three referenced were recent !

Anyway ... Was just yankin yer chain a little Al ! Didn't mean anything by it ... Just a little teasing. :D

REV

Al James

Hunter
Yeah I know how to read and follow a thread Rev...I noticed you left off half of Razors quote though :wink: .

Here's one for you from within the last couple weeks, didn't even make it a full 24 hours before BIN.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=536614323

I'm just yankin yer chain a little Rev :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
That's a 90 ... No one disputes their value ... Not surprised at that at all.

REV

Al James

Hunter
Well the last P91 I sold went for $500 BIN. I know YOU dispute a P91's value...right?

Al James

Hunter
My point is that the value of these pistols has rose considerably in just a few years. Sure there will be deals found and to be had but the pricing trend for good complete and clean P series pistols only seems to be moving in one direction. And remember a $255 gun on Gunbroker ends up being north of $300 OTD after shipping and transfer. And it may or may not have the box, mags and loader, paperwork...let alone be in nice condition.

Me and you used to go back and forth on this very subject 5-7 years ago right here on the RF. You said they were $200 dollar guns and I claimed they were selling for $300 online and that if you had a supply of $200 P shooters that you should go in the P series business turning an easy 50% profit....ALL DAY LONG. Remember? Now I wish I could go back in time and buy a few more nice P guns at those prices along with a few other guns :wink: