Questions from new lcp custom owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ccm14

Bearcat
I'm a long time shooter and just received a new lcp custom and have not fired it yet because I have several questions.

1. When inserting a magazine into the gun, I sometimes have to press the Magazine Latch Button before the magazine can be inserted. Is this normal?
2. Sometimes the magazine does not completely seat into the magazine well. The magazine bottoms out in the magazine well but the magazine will fall out. If can give the bottom of the magazine an extra hard push I can hear the mag click and it remains seated. When the mag is not given this extra attention you cannot rack the slide. Is this normal?
3. Can you safely dry fire the lcp?
4. Does it hurt to leave the slide retracted when in storage for an extended period of time?
5. Does the Manual Slide Hold Open button get easier to engage over time?
6. I have pretty good hand strength but have to admit I am having a tough time pulling the slide back and engaging the Manual Slide Hold Open button at the same time. Any advice on the best way to do this and still keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction?

I appreciate your advice.

Charlie

swmetal

Bearcat
I have an LCP Custom and sounds pretty much the same/normal.

1. There is resistance when passing the slide latch but a little more push mine always passes by without having to push the slide release.
2. My mags are pretty much the same. I have a US and Italian made. The US made I had to slightly sand the floor plate to get it to seat better. The Italian floor plates fit better.
3. I believe the manual says yes, but don't recall for sure.
4. Shouldn't matter, but I would not leave the recoil spring compressed for long periods and see no reason why you would want to.
5. Haven't had mine that long to say
6. I hold the gun side ways in right hand, rack the slide with left, wrapping my palm around it.

#6 is the only one I can address... recently at a very good handgun training course they taught me how to unload my P95 or lock the slide open... first move is to actually turn to the side 90 degrees from the target so that it is easier to keep the pistol pointed down range... then tilt the pistol side ways and hold the slide on top and rack it back with your left hand... you can then use your right hand thumb to push the slide lock up.