an improved LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I have an LCP that I carry quite a bit for personal defense. It is light and handy and I hardly know it's there, even after a full of carrying it around.

The thing is that I always feel under-gunned with the .380 ctg. Now I know that there are +P loadings for the .380 that improve it's potential as a PD cartridge, but the LCP is not rated for +P.

So...If Ruger could just beef it up an ounce or two and make it suitable for +P ammo, AND while they are at it, give it the same trigger mechanism that the LC9s has, I would probably just go to the .380 exclusively for PD.

Whaddya think? 8)

Armybrat

Buckeye
The Kahr .380 pistols are already rated for +p. The CT380 replaced my LCP.

But if Ruger redid the CP into an LCPs, I'd like one for my rotation.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm not sure you'd want to shoot +P ammo in an LCP sized pistol even if you added an ounce. I bought a box of the hot Buffalo Bore hardcast FN .380's and took my early LCP and an older NAA all steel blow back .380 to see what's up. The recoil in the NAA was the most viscous I've ever experienced bar none. I was bleeding all over the gun but still proceeded to shoot them all :mrgreen: I wouldn't even consider them in my LCP. The locked breech design of the LCP should ease the recoil.

In the meantime, you might want to consider the Cor-Bon offerings. I havn't bought any in years, but they used to be, and still may be, one of the hotter non +P loads available. That's what I carry in mine. Also, get the http://magguts.com/shop/ruger kit. It gives you 7+1 capacity and it utterly reliable. It's out of stock now, but I'm certain it will be available in the near future.

5of7

Hunter
I have shot blow back .380s that weighed twice as much as the LCP and the recoil from the blow backs are far more vicious than the LCP.

Actually the blow back 380's recoil is worse than an LC9s in 9MM, so yes, the locked breech design of the LCP does reduce the recoil of the .380....a lot.

In any event, my thought is that getting the 95 gr. bullet up to about 1000 fps would make it enough more effective than the 850 fps that one can expect from standard pressure ammo in the LCP, to at lease bestow a little more confidence should the situation actually arise that one needed to use it. 8)

Being able to hit what you aim at is a confidence builder. Practice shooting clay pigeons, and rotten fruit. I am entirely confident with my first gen LCP. Since it is my primary gun most of the time, I have relied on it to euthanize a 200 lb hog I hit with the car, killed a Armadillo, and rat in my pasture. Because it was what I had available at the time. If you are uncomfortable with the cartridge by all means get something that gives you confidence.
gramps

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
5of7 said:
I have an LCP that I carry quite a bit for personal defense. It is light and handy and I hardly know it's there, even after a full of carrying it around.

The thing is that I always feel under-gunned with the .380 ctg. Now I know that there are +P loadings for the .380 that improve it's potential as a PD cartridge, but the LCP is not rated for +P.

So...If Ruger could just beef it up an ounce or two and make it suitable for +P ammo, AND while they are at it, give it the same trigger mechanism that the LC9s has, I would probably just go to the .380 exclusively for PD.

Whaddya think? 8)

IMO you are correct about the power of the 380, not much there. Especially in the winter months when people up north are dressed for blizzard conditions. But in the summer months I think the 380 will do its job, power & conceal ability wise.
If you start beefing up a 380 you might as well make it a 9mm.
Now I know a lot of people will scold me for this but I have shot +p reloads out of my LCP custom with no problems. The only thing I think could possibly happen doing this is the gun might loosen up faster, if that's all you shot through it.
With that said I have no problem carrying my LCP custom loaded with +p ammo.

5of7

Hunter
I would not think that a full 9MM loading in an LCP sized handgun would acceptable to Ruger's engineering staff, or to shooters. My goal is to get a 95 gr. loading that will generate 1000 fps in the LCP length barrel.

That would make it just a +P .380, raising the chamber pressure from 20K to maybe 25K....an increase of 25%.

It is likely that a stiffer recoil spring would be all that would be needed, but if the barrel was a tag heavier for the sake of added safety, that would be all right too.

I have handloaded ammo that produced these ballistics, but I do not think it is wise to use handloads for PD because it would give a prosecutor talking points in the event that one actually used such a handload in self defense. 8)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I do wonder if Ruger is coming out with a new LCP or something to replace it. Was looking for one but ended up with an S&W 637 largely because I've always wanted one and my dealer gave me an awesome trade on another gun. I am still planning to get an LCP or something like it but will now wait to see what comes out at SHOT.

Armybrat

Buckeye
loaded round said:
Why did you downgrade your carry pistol?

Armybrat said:
The Kahr .380 pistols are already rated for +p. The CT380 replaced my LCP.

But if Ruger redid the CP into an LCPs, I'd like one for my rotation.

lol

The little Moonie gun is better made IMO, and I like the longer 7+1 grip. Plus it shoots much "easier".
great trigger too.
But as I said, an LCPs would be very desirable.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I had a CT-380, it was a neat gun. Ended up trading it because the trigger and trigger guard kept pinching my finger. Kahr makes quality products but with a strict one size fits all approach. The trigger is sized for someone with small hands. No different heights of rear sights to correct elevation available. Got a Glock 42 and am very happy with it.

I carry the LC9s as my primary daily carry, but my little LCP with Crimson Trace laser is there for when I am dressed lightly or need something to fit into a smallish pocket. I'm not thrilled with the trigger, and the 380 round is not my favorite, but I certainly do not feel unarmed when I am carrying it. With a decent self defense round it is certainly as good as the old 38 special ammo in a two inch j-frame that off duty LEO's carried for decades. A striker fired LCP would be nice, but my first generation LCP works just fine and serves its purpose as it is.