I'm back with an LC9s !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Hello everyone,

Ice ages have been shorter than the elapsed time since I last posted, and although I've been lurking from time to time I haven't had anything fun to talk about until several days ago when I bought...

...An LC9s...

Later this week I'm going to be posting some targets but man, I have to tell you all: I really like this pistol. The size, the weight, the capacity, the build quality - THE TRIGGER - and the overall customer experience so far have made me want to giggle. I waited a long time to narrow my choices down this holiday season and I am very satisfied with my purchase so far.

Now, all I have is "home time" and dry-fire time. And yes, I wish it came with an extra magazine. But overall - whew - Ruger has done a really good job with this gun IMHO. I can't wait to get it to the range this week and work this little gun out. I've even managed to turn my Dad on to it and he's been sitting the fence about getting his MA LTC - but when I showed him this gun and he handled it and dry-fired it he started the process right away.

Glad to be back and by Wednesday I'll have my first set of targets to take ribbing about. :)

I like mine too, even though I have not shot it much since bought back in February.... my one complaint is the slide.... rusting from my sweat. I really wish Ruger would come out with a Stainless Steel version.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
.... my one complaint is the slide.... rusting from my sweat. I really wish Ruger would come out with a Stainless Steel version.

I've heard a few people say that. Maybe I'll duracote it like Nutnfancy does with everything that isn't nailed down and a lot of things that are. ;)

I wonder how a light coat of good car wax would work? I think the serrations on the slide are aggressive enough that it wouldn't make the slide too slippery.

I'm prepared to do a little work to make this a keeper. I really like the proportions and the trigger. Let's see what happens at the range.

4x4moses

Bearcat
I've recently taken delivery of an LC9s Pro; but have yet to give it a workout. Any suggestions on OWB holsters?

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Just picked mine Monday and took it to the range. I had been carrying a Diamond Back 9mm. After shooting the LC9S I realized that the only thing I liked about the DB was the size. The LC9S is a pleasure to shoot. Good groups right out of the box and one of the best triggers on any concealed carry pistols I have ever had.

Actually the LC is only about a 1/2" taller than the DB and you can't feel any difference in it when carrying. It even fits all of the holsters I had bought for the DB.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I know I'm going to take all kinds of heat for this but I really believe the LC9s and LC9s Pro are far better pistols than Walthers in PPK or PPK/s. Similar size, better firearms, locked breech, and less money. You're not supposed to compare apples and oranges when it comes to iconic firearms but the other night I was thinking: "If it hadn't been for the lore and the timing, Bond would have carried a Ruger."

NixieTube said:
I know I'm going to take all kinds of heat for this but I really believe the LC9s and LC9s Pro are far better pistols than Walthers in PPK or PPK/s. Similar size, better firearms, locked breech, and less money. You're not supposed to compare apples and oranges when it comes to iconic firearms but the other night I was thinking: "If it hadn't been for the lore and the timing, Bond would have carried a Ruger."

Okay, I'll be right there to admit that the LC9 series of guns does what it's designed to do.

But, I cannot get on board with them being better than the old Walther products. I will however, agree that they're different. It's tough to compare Master Craftsmanship to a plastic mold and a CNC machine. I'll also agree a 9mm Parabellum cartridge is superior to a .380. And, the 9mm usually does require a locked breech in a handgun.

And no, James Bond would have never carried a plastic Ruger. That'd be like him choosing a modern Toyota over his Aston Martin.

Heart be still. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Tom W

Blackhawk
4x4moses said:
I've recently taken delivery of an LC9s Pro; but have yet to give it a workout. Any suggestions on OWB holsters?

I really like my Sneaky Pete holster. Besides my sons, only one person identified it for what it is...and that was because he had just ordered one and wanted to see one "in the flesh."

NixieTube

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
NixieTube said:

Okay, I'll be right there to admit that the LC9 series of guns does what it's designed to do.

But, I cannot get on board with them being better than the old Walther products. I will however, agree that they're different. It's tough to compare Master Craftsmanship to a plastic mold and a CNC machine. I'll also agree a 9mm Parabellum cartridge is superior to a .380. And, the 9mm usually does require a locked breech in a handgun.And no, James Bond would have never carried a plastic Ruger. That'd be like him choosing a modern Toyota over his Aston Martin.

WAYNO.

OK....Ok. Maybe I was getting my head a little far out in front of my skis with that one, so forgive my "new-gun-itis." Maybe I should have said: "I'll buy a nice PPK or PPK/s when I can afford one that I like. In the meantime, I think this little Ruger will do a very good job." :)

I will be at the range this weekend and the first targets are going here. Too much work since the time I bought the gun to make the trip, but it's going to happen soon.

I'm buying an Alien Gear 3.0 IWB (with Lasermax) holster for it. Where I live IWB and/or good pocket holsters are must-haves. I like that Alien Gear inner spring steel layer surrounded by neoprene.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I have a second magazine on the way but after about a week of ownership I've also come to see some virtue in the inert "New Jersey" magazine.

Why? It's very convenient for demonstrating the pistol to others while maintaining safety. Of course you must clear and verify empty on the gun yourself, but once you have done that, with the inert magazine inserted you can feel confident handing the pistol to someone who has never operated a semiautomatic firearm and show them the basic manual of arms.

Twice so far this week, and one of them was a person I would never expect to have wanted to handle a pistol at all.

NixieTube said:
WAYNO said:
NixieTube said:

But, I cannot get on board with them being better than the old Walther products. I will however, agree that they're different. It's tough to compare Master Craftsmanship to a plastic mold and a CNC machine. I'll also agree a 9mm Parabellum cartridge is superior to a .380. And, the 9mm usually does require a locked breech in a handgun.And no, James Bond would have never carried a plastic Ruger. That'd be like him choosing a modern Toyota over his Aston Martin.

WAYNO.

OK....Ok. Maybe I was getting my head a little far out in front of my skis with that one, so forgive my "new-gun-itis." Maybe I should have said: "I'll buy a nice PPK or PPK/s when I can afford one that I like. In the meantime, I think this little Ruger will do a very good job." :)

Here's the irony...Although I consider the Walther to be the superior work of art, it would remain in the safe, while the affordable plastic Ruger is what I'd more often be carrying. :wink: :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

For some reason the Walther usually scrapes the top of my hand unless I'm real careful. Also, I carried a Sig 230 for a long time and it is a little larger but in my opinion much better than the Walther.... I do not like the safety on the Walther or any semi auto actually.... I'm with Wayno and carry the 'cheap' plastic Ruger every day now....

roylt

Hunter
cheaper than dirt for more mags the first go around but was at a local shop and found one hanging in a zip lock bag for $15!! The owner of the shop said it was new but out of the package. Didn't have the flat base with it but after I paid, I asked if by chance he had one for it. He looked around a little and I think took it out of another new gun!!

What a nice Christmas present to myself.

And yes this really doesn't have anything to do with the post. A bit of a highjack.

Merry Christmas to all!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
roylt said:
cheaper than dirt for more mags the first go around but was at a local shop and found one hanging in a zip lock bag for $15!!
What a nice Christmas present to myself.

And yes this really doesn't have anything to do with the post. A bit of a highjack.

Merry Christmas to all!

Range day is tomorrow and Merry Christmas, nobody should ever worry about good magazine purchase advice. ;). Next up are the sights. I'm buying a Lasermax Green laser for it and then probably a set of Tru-Glos. My feeling is that for about $550 total spent I'll have a very good carry pistol that I can trust and shoot well under almost any conditions.

I showed my LC9s to another "fence sitter" today and they were impressed and are now considering buying one.

By the way, mine does have the cone-shaped guide rod end upgrade from the factory. It goes into battery every time reliably even if you're not "snappy" with releasing the slide. I never would have known about the difference if I hadn't spent time reading even more about the pistol after I'd bought it. I was glad to see that, though, and let's face it, I own a Gen 1.1 SR9 also and I've trained myself to be, ahem, "assertive" with the slide. I may never have noticed even if mine didn't have the newer guide rod.

roylt

Hunter
I got my LC9sP from gunbuyer. They are cheap and free ship. If you know anyone that is "on the fence", once they see the price they will be buying.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Well, I came over here to read up on the LC9s, as I've been looking for a new carry gun. I've been considering the XDs, but am a little concerned about the weight, and width, the Ruger looks like a better option.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Racer9 said:
Well, I came over here to read up on the LC9s, as I've been looking for a new carry gun. I've been considering the XDs, but am a little concerned about the weight, and width, the Ruger looks like a better option.

I like mine, as you can tell :). If you decide to buy the Ruger, see my note about the re-engineered guide rod. I would imagine that all the new factory guns for sale at this point already have them. The front of the guide rod (where it rests in the slide) should be shaped like an inverted cone, not like a flat head nail/screw. You can see it very easily when you lock or pull the slide back. That engineering change was made (it wasn't a recall, and Ruger did them for free for anyone who wanted them) in 2014. The cone shaped rod end helps to guarantee the slide fully returns to battery when you're manually racking it. Here's a picture of one taken by someone from a different Ruger message board. This is what mine looks like, also.

0814142128_zps35d047b9.jpg