P95dc Graduates from Front Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well I went to Front Sight... see my post in the lounge.... took two Ruger P95dc's with me... only modification was I put a Houge slip on grip on both.... I think this was a small mistake.. but more about that later.

Only used one of the P95s..... total rounds shot over 4 days... 650... did have one fail to fire at the very end... but this was probably a bad round... You pick up spent ammo that gets dropped when unloading or doing a malfunction drill...

Shooting test: I missed one shot out of 25.. head shot at 10 yards... and understand a 'head shot' there is not the head but an area about 3"x4". I was 1" low on one. Most of the drills called for a double tap first into what is termed the Thoracic Cavity... smaller area of center mass and then in the same drill a head shot might be called and then you are still cocked and so it is a single action shot. But on the test the head shots were all timed singles and so done with a double action pull on the P95.... and that first double action pull on mine is a bear to hold the sights on. All the test shots are under time limit of less than 2 seconds by the way.

I totally blew the malfunction test partly because I need a lot more practice on this and also because I thought it was a practice session before the real test... guess I did not listen that well.

but still retained enough points to 'Graduate' Next level up is distinguished and I plan to go for that next year.

Did have to take the p95 to the armorer one time to check out... pistol jammed on an unload and one of the instructors unjammed it... and when he did the slide retaining pin flew out..... I figured out later this was because when I was unloading I had actually managed to pull the pin out just a bit.

As for the Houge slip on grip... I think that makes the grip too thick for me. I had recently bought an older P95dc from one of you guys and so I put one on my newer one... this thicker grip makes it even more difficult to reach the decock lever let alone the slide stop lever.

Oh and after testing; we had what is called a man on man competition .... this is two guys standing side by side that each shoot at steel targets.... only three targets... but the first one is a head shot hidden behind another steel target that is a hostage... another one of those 15 yard shots... if you hit the hostage you are out of the competition if the other person shoots perfect and you do too then the first one through wins that round. I made it to the last round but got put against a kid 16 years old that had been to three previous 4 day classes and he was not only a dead on shot but fast. I pushed the first shot and hit the hostage....

Nothing against the P95, totally pleased with it's performance, but I am seriously thinking about a different pistol for next year... that first double action trigger pull is a bear and they won't let you cock the hammer first...
Depends on my work and income of course... either a Ruger 1911 or maybe a Sig P226 single action only.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Glad to see one of the best econo-autos ever being represented at Front Sight. I know a guy on another forum who took a Hi-Point 9mm to FS and did extremely well with it, beating out many people with much more expensive guns.

My perception at this course is that the gun has very little to do with it... you need to master a number of other items... drawing, sighting in and trigger pull are just a few ... way before how 'good' the handgun is comes into play.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks for the report Blume, I was hoping you would post one and glad to see the 95 went the distance. Just curious, how many 1911's were there? Any other Rugers?

My buddy and partner / coach was shooting a Ruger 1911... I think I saw about one other 1911. Lots of glocks or some type of stricker fired and a few Sigs. I'm not one to be able to recognize a brand with just a glance.... about 6 or 7 folks actually were shooting revolvers.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Thanks for the post I've been waiting for a while to hear someone who went to a Front Sight course. It sounds like it was intense!

If you can afford it I would go.... For a while I think I can offer a free subscription to the 4 day class... not sure how that exactly works... but even though they list the class as 2 grand, I don't think anyone pays that. I found out later I could have even gotten a free membership from a buddy.... Still, if you check out the required equipment .... travel cost if you fly and lodging expenses, and the 6-700 rounds needed... it don't come cheap.
The one thing to say again... is when you get on Front Sights internet Radar they bombard you with emails to join or up your membership... I finally signed off of this, for a while it was actually funny... what I was sure was going to happen sometime during the class is they were going to put me in a room and back me in a corner and hit me with the hard sales pitch for a time share and such.... did not happen... no sales pitch at all. Strictly professional class with top of the line instructors... they are serious about safe gun handling too... you can carry your pistol while there but it must be unloaded and the only time you can unholster is either on the firing line or while packing up to leave and you are instructed not to reload if it is your carry weapon until off the property.

Oh one other suggestion.... if using a semi-auto you need at least 4 magazines and 6 is better and go ahead and have mag belt holders for at least 4.... by the 2nd day when not shooting you are reloading magazines... constantly....