New LCP magazine spring broke - UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

swmetal

Bearcat
Just bought a new LCP Custom. Have two magazines for it, one US made and one made in Italy. The Italy mag seats much better in the gun, but tonight, with the mag fully loaded and just sitting on the table I heard a "click" noise. The magazine spring broke in two places while just sitting there. When I pulled the spring out I also noticed it was a different color (more black) than the other.

Anybody else have this issue? Glad I noticed it before depending on the loaded magazine to save my life. I have many firearms and never had a mag spring break just sitting there.

UPDATE: Ruger called today after receiving the broken mag spring. They said they were "seeing a trend" with the made in Italy mags having issues and was surprised they sent me an Italian one as he thought they were only sending our USA mags now. He also said they were/had standardized things between US and Italian manufacturing to address the issues. Those of you with Italian mags might want to check your springs, the one that failed looked black compared to dark brown for the US spring and another Italian mag spring I had.

WP_20151208_001.jpg

welder

Buckeye
Curious to see responses to your question as I have just about decided to get one myself. I have never heard of any magazine spring breaking or failing in anyway.

swmetal

Bearcat
Yes, its already on its way back to them. The Italian mag was actually a replacement they sent because the US made mag didn't seat well so I took the spring out of the US mag and put it in the replacement Italian mag. Sent the broken spring back with the poor fitting US mag and a not explaining what happened.

My only real concern is if this is an issue with the mag springs. I sure wouldn't want to find the spring broken when I really need the firearm. Just never had a mag spring break before, sure they wear out/lose tension with use/time, but never heard of one breaking.

loaded round

Hunter
I've been shooting for close to 45 years now and truthfully I've never heard of a mag spring breaking. I've seen a few very old 1911 mags with weak springs but still functioning. This is a new one for me.

welder

Buckeye
I remember reading a story in one of the rags about a 1911 that was inherited by family member after the passing of a WW2 vet. As I recall the 1911 had lived in a drawer for decades along with a couple mags fully loaded with military ball. After a safety check of the gun the author wrote that every round in both mags fed and functioned perfectly. I've never worried about or entered the mag spring debate since.

This OP does bring some question to mind though?

I have the two mags that came with my LCP. Both function fine. Was the magazine loaded at the time, or just sitting there sans tension? Old saying " it happens"
gramps

swmetal

Bearcat
The mag was fully loaded and not inserted in the LCP, just sitting on the table. I had loaded/unloaded the mag several times previously with no issue and had not done any live fire with the mag yet. The broken mag spring definitely looked different in color and possibly thickness than the other mag spring.

Str8Edge

Bearcat
Just to add to this topic. I was just now cycling out the carry ammo in my LCP mags and noticed the last round in the Italian made mag just fell out. Took the mag apart and sure enough, the spring was broken in 2 places just like the OP posted. This is definitely an issue. This was the mag that I keep loaded in the pistol and carry daily. I put the last round back in the mag. No tension on it. Put it back in the gun and attempted to chamber. Jammed. This could have been a deadly failure and I have no idea how long its been broken. Scary. Guess I'll give Ruger a call.

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Well, then someone needs to get the memo out to after market suppliers! The magazine that came with my LCP says it was made here, but the two spares I carry say they were made in Italy. Crap.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I have 3 of the older LCP Italian magazines and none of the American company made ones. I got them when I bought a couple LCP's that sat for probably 5 yrs or so. I sold the one LCP and probably 6 months ago just started doing anything with the second LCP which I still have.
These LCP magazines I have have been used, fired and been sitting fully loaded for months. I wonder if this is a recent thing with the mag springs or an on going thing. Like I said mine must be 5 yrs or so old. I just have the one new magazine that came with the new LCP II. I noticed Made in Italy stamped on it. Now this has me wondering.

Magazines seem to be an issue with Ruger lately. My SR1911 9mm Ruger replaced both the magazines twice before wanting the gun back. Others had the same issues with these same magazines.They said the gun was fine and they supposedly fired 45 rounds of Black Hills ammo through it. I find that hard be believe but that's what they said. When they returned the gun it had different 2 magazines again #'s 5&6 in it and they were the same Checkmate International again.
I haven't had it back out to fire it since I got it back. Hopefully I got a couple good ones finally.
I wonder who made the American made LCP mags for them? The Ruger 1911 9mm mags were made by Checkmate International. I'm not real impressed with their quality and won't knowingly buy anymore of the Checkmates International magazines anytime soon if ever.
The other day I unloaded and took apart my 3 older Italian LCP magazines. All 3 of them have a golden color spring as opposed to the OP saying more of a blackish.