Considering an LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've decided to get a mini .380 and am leaning toward the LCP. Reason being, that the trigger pull on the current LCP feels better to me than every other small pistol ive ever tried, including my much loved Kel Tec P32. As much as I love that little pocket rocket, I don't shoot it well anymore. Over the past year I have put in a lot of pistol practice an have greatly improved my grip, focus, and trigger pull. Now, I shoot my other pistols dead on but I am consistently 2-4" low at ten feet with my Kel Tec. I think I have changed, not the gun. I understand these are not target guns, and I would be very happy with a cluster of shots around the point of aim.

So I need to hear some opinions and experiences. Does the current LCP tend to cluster shots around the point of aim? Do you consider the current LCP trigger pull to be a large improvement over the Kel-Tec and the original LCP? Do you think Ruger has gotten all the bugs out of this pistol? Finally, do you think Ruger is going to stay with the hammer fired design or come out with an S model as they did with the LC9? I would hate to buy an LCP and then an improved version come out next week.

5of7

Hunter
I have 2 carry pistols; a LCP and a LC9S.

I love the way the LCP carries in the paddle holster, but I also like the added sense of security that I get when carrying the LC9s with it's more powerful 9MM ctg..

I guess I really don't know where to come down on this choice. 8)

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I have a 2012 year Ruger LCP and yes it shoots point of aim.
I must have now 1,000 rounds down the barrel with factory ammo and lead reloads .
I will say the gun goes bang each time I pull the trigger it has never let me down.
I also have ran in threw combat course and had no problems out to 12 yards still shooting point of aim

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sounds good sir. I'm a caster and reloader too. Got any pet loads for it?

If Glock made a pocket size 42 I couldn't give them my money fast enough. They don't, so the LCP is currently the favorite for that role. I examined one today at the fun store and, while it is not exactly an original design,Ruger sure did it right. The current LCP trigger pull feels more like a heavy striker fire gun than a double action. The extractor is a much better, big pistol design. Finally, they have lowered the price to within spitting distance of Kel-Tec. In all likelihood I will put one on layaway next payday.

trjggerjerk

Bearcat
My gen1 lcp shoots a 6 o'clock hold with Hornady custom xtp and combat hold (cover poa with sight) with Blazer Brass and other fmj plinkers. Couldn't hit the ground with Perfecta, but Monarch and Aguila both good. My spankin new lcp also a combat hold with Blazer Brass, hitting a little left. Both way more accurate than they should be.

It's all about gun/ammo combo, your hold, and how you pull the trigger. Adapt.

Some will laugh about aiming a gut gun, but aim if you can, practicing from both good and bad positions, including point shooting to learn your capabilities.

Best luck

Covejeepsxj

Single-Sixer
I had an original LCP (wanted something for t-shirt summer carry). I sold it (wasn't crazy about the trigger) and bought a used P238. I liked the Sig better, but it wasn't getting that much carry time so I sold it. The P238 wasn't much different in carry weight (at least felt weight) than my S&W Airweight. I just ordered another LCP and it should be here in the next day or so. Plan is to switch back and forth from my J-Frame to the LCP. I am hoping that the improved trigger treats me well.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks for the OP, I have been thinking about this very topiic for a week or so myself, the LCPs are everywhere now and I believe I'm gonna pick one up along with a good supply of ammo while I still can.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Maybe Ruger overproduced them, or distributors need to move product to make room. I'm going to layaway a stainless LCP at the fun store today or tomorrow.

I have both an LCP and an LC9s. I find I cannot shoot the little "no sights" LCP without using the Crimson Trace laser, and even then not very accurately. My LC9s is not much larger, essentially just as easy to carry, and I can shoot it much more effectively. In part it is the superior trigger on the LC9s. But having 9mm instead of 380acp, and having 7+1 instead of 6+1 and being able to shoot the gun more accurately have made the LC9s my EDC. However, when I wear certain jeans that have smaller pockets (I usually pocket carry) or when wearing lighter weight slacks, the LCP in a DeSantis holster is what leaves the house with me.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I usually carry my Glock 42 or 26 but a micro pistol such as the LCP is perfect for pocket carry, especially when I need to be discreet. My usual pocket rocket is a Kel-Tec P32 but it is being repaired at the facctory right now.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Called up my dealer today, he had the black LCP in stock but not stainless. I asked him to go ahead and find a stainless for me, it only costs about $20.00 more. Hopefully I will have it in a week or two. I am a reloader and I understand these pistols fling brass pretty far. Do the Wolff 13 pound recoil springs help in this regard? Also, is there really a need for the extra power firing pin spring that Wolff includes in the pack? I would assume that is only to further lessen the chance of a slam fire with the stronger recoil spring.

I too used to carry a KT-32. Loved it, just anemic ballistically. When I bought the .32, no one had a .380 that size. A few years back I bought a LCP. It shoots to point of aim ( it is a 1st generation). I have euthanized hogs, rid my farm of Armadillo, and gopher rats with it. I only wish mine was stainless. Good luck. Give us a report on your new one please.
gramps

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have no worries about the ballistics of .32 Auto with Fiocchi FMJ or my own reloads. The problem with my pistol is the very low point of impact that it has developed. I have no idea how long it will take Kel-Tec to correct it so I figure this is a good time to try a new pocket rocket.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I sure hope so. Nobody had any stainless LCP's so I went with an S&W 637. Very happy with that decision. I would be more than happy to try an LCPs for sure though!

Joezilla

Bearcat
I had a Gen 1 LCP that ate everything I fed it. It was a dream to conceal. I still regret selling it a few years ago.

I have carried a Pro series 642 j-frame as my EDC. I can't help feeling that I now need a new LCP. I may be picking one up in April after I return to Texas, or perhaps the LCP 2, if it is out by then.

Joe

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Well, SHOT is less than two weeks away so I guess we will see. I like the current LCP but if it's about to be superseded it would make sense to at least consider the newer version. The LCP and other guns of this size are still way more concealable than even J-frames. The butt of my 637 and Glock 42 peeks out of my pocket when wearing slacks. Been carrying the 637 in a Desantis ankle holster lately, very comfortable.