P95 vs P95DC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Inherited a P95 and was planning to get some spare parts together for it.

Had a chance to get just about all of a P95DC less the part that requires a FFL, so I went for it.

Been looking at drawings of the two and it looks like I can use almost all of the parts.

Any one know exactly which parts I won't be able to use?

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Thanks roylt.

Is it just the slide itself or all of the upper? barrel,ect

Don't have it in hand yet just kinda wanta know ahead of time.

Thanks.

roylt

Hunter
Barrel etc is all the same. Maybe "fit" a little but basically drop in. DC unit has a spring machined on the inside of the upper so it is different. May just pop onto your frame though. I forget if the DC upper pops on the safe frame or the other way around.

I really doubt you will ever need any spare parts for that 95. solid unit for sure.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Thanks again roylt.

Probably never need the parts in my life time, but I want to be sure that my decedents don't run into some of problems of finding replacement parts to the firearms I past to them.

My Dad left me a few others that have hard to find parts and when you do find them they are costly because they are hard to find and no longer made.

And nowadays you often have to go by the seller's word that they are the correct part and are in good condition.

Just an example is a 1948 Winchester Model 70 Supergrade, complete rifles still around but not a lot of spares parts.

I don't think the upper of a DC will work on the lower of a Safety model with out some serious modifications... but roylt might know better. You'd be better to hold out for a decock lower or better yet sell me the DC upper parts you have and get spares for a safety model down the road. I agree with the chances of ever needing spare parts as very slim.

welder

Buckeye
Agreed. I picked up a couple parts kits off Gunbroker (P89-P95) but have never needed any yet. I doubt I ever will.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
"Spare parts Kit" arrived today on my day off so had plenty of time to sort through the parts and determine which P95DC parts will fit my P95 Manual Safety.

Just about all the parts are interchangeable on the lower except for the trigger bar and the slide stop.

The upper slide is obviously different however many of the internal parts are the same.

Barrel, Camblock/recoil spring, extractor, firing pin and spring, and the firing pin block parts are all the same.

Just for grins and giggles I did put the P95DC slide on my P95 and found out it will not work.

Something I have noticed about some of the parts kits up for sale or auction is; many are missing the sear and the sear spring.

Maybe there have been failures of these parts and no one is speaking up?

So after gathering the parts I want, I have a few P95DC parts to get rid of.

1-Trigger bar, KV01710-100, DC model only
1-slide stop, V03713-100 stainless, DC model only
1-slide, black, DC model only minus barrel, camblock/recoil spring assembly, firing pin and spring, still has sights and parts under the rear sight.

Let me know if interested.

roylt

Hunter
Post pictures in the classifieds. Depending on price you'll sell.

Why doesn't the slide stop work? I have used several different swapped around.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Double checked the slide stop and found out it will fit.

I was going by the part numbers on the exploded view I have which show different numbers but in the parts list it shows the same numbers.

Thanks for the heads up.

ssgt6usmc

Bearcat
Am not sure on the P95 but I do know that on a P90 you can switch from a DC to a Manual and vice versa. I do it with mine all the time. I also have a P94 that was purchased as a DC model in 40 S&W that I convert over to a 9 mm man safety so I can shoot cheaper ammo. I also take friends to the range and let them shoot and feel the difference. It's nice to be able to switch from one to the other and only have to pull out the slide stop, remove one slide assy and put the other one in. Quick and easy, load up the correct magazine and put holes in paper.

You can do it on the P89 too... but as I've said, I'm pretty sure the P95 is different and takes some gun smithing to make work.

Some times the difference in part numbers is when you are looking at a blue gun verses stainless.