Ruger LCP Custom - Info, Grip, Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BCubed

Bearcat
I spent a good deal of time at a range/gun shop today, looking at all the guns in my price range (under $420) that I could actually fit in (and get out of) my blue jeans pocket. The clear winner, at least from a fit and usable sights standpoint, was the Ruger LCP Custom ($359). I also liked the Glock 42 ($399) but I think it would take be a bit too long in a defensive situation to get it out of my pocket...just not as easy to pull as the LCP Custom.

So, for anyone who has owned a Ruger LCP Custom (or even the regular LCP):
1- Are you still liking it?
2- Have you had any major problems with the handgun?
3- Overall, would you consider it an incredibly reliable gun?
4- Would you recommend adding a Hogue Handall grip sleeve (or another type) to it?
5- What range ammo do you use and what self defense ammo do you use?
6- If you carry it in your pocket, what holster do you use..I see many recommend the DeSantis Nemesis? However, I'm not sure if the pocket holsters designed for the regular LCP will work with the Custom model or not; I assume it's taller over all with the larger sights.
7- I think it comes with a soft case...but are there any hard cases you've found to work nicely with this handgun to transport/lock it?
8- Do all the accessories that work with the LCP also work with the LCP Custom?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

BCubed

RalphS

Single-Sixer
1) Yes

2) No

3) Yes

4) Yes, I have a Pachmayr sleeve on mine. Really helps a lot with the grip. I have XL hands and have no problem gripping or firing my LCP. You can also just cut up an old bicycle inner tube tire and make your own.

5) Any brass cased FMJ for Range ammo. For SD ammo, either FMJ or anything with the XTP bullets in it. I like penetration and most everything else (from what I can tell) doesn't penetrate at least 12 inches consistently. That is the big problem with 90 grain 380 ACP ammo. You can get penetration or you can get expansion but you usually don't get both unless you really drive them at high velocity (which doesn't happen with an LCP). The XTPs will penetrate well and provide some expansion (if you're lucky).

6) Galco Horsehide pocket holster.

7) Don't have an answer for this. It will fit in any hardcase. When I take it to the range, it's in a zippered pouch inside my range bag.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I still like mine. Never had it jam with factory or reloads.
No problems at all.
I bought mine for the size & easy concealment in the summer when wearing shorts & a light shirt. But I've found even in the winter months it's still my go to gun for carry. It's just so easy to grab & go.
I have 2 holsters for it. One for IWB carry & a back pocket wallet holster. They're both good holsters. The wallet holster would be better with the 6rd. mag but I'm sticking with the 7rd.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
As far as carry ammo here is a link. I don't agree with his findings but great info.
The reason I don't agree with it is he doesn't put GoldDots in the final group but IMO I would rather have my bullets expand & have 2" less penetration then not expand & get the penetration. Now maybe in these winter months when the heavy clothing comes out the penetration factor might figure in to my thinking. But it hasn't yet.
You can't go wrong with GoldDots in any caliber. My second choice would be Hydroshoks. Make your own choice.
http://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

BCubed

Bearcat
SweetWilliam said:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=231816

Thanks for the link...I've also seen it as low as $217.

I know the somewhat local place that has it for $359 is quite a bit higher than what you can find online, and with a daughter in college and an 8 year old I'm all for saving as much money as possible, but I'd prefer to purchase locally for three main reasons: I'd be putting money back into the local economy and specifically this range/shop that offers a great service to our community, I've take a couple classes and been in there numerous times asking many questions and they've always been great and extremely patient, and they offer a lifetime warranty on all the firearms they sale.

Again, thanks for everyone's help so far!!!

BCubed

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Believe me I'm all for supporting local businesses but being able to save $150 or more is hard to pass up.
I don't know if you have to pay sales tax in your state but you can almost buy 2 for 1 at that price.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I've been carrying the LCP for 6 mos. Mine is IWB so I can't comment pocket carry.
on the other questions , mine is a second generation LCP not the Custom.
With my first LCP, the take down pin backed out while shooting at the range and the gun flew in several pieces. That problem has been solved by Rugar and is no longer an issue. They did replace my gun and I have had no reliability issues. I have used several brands of range ammo and tried several SD ammo. all ran flawlessly.
My wife liked the LCP so much, she bought and carries one.
I did not buy the Custom because I did not feel the extra cost was worth the new trigger, enhanced rear sight and SS guide rod.
The gun is a point and shoot SD weapon. IMHO the enhanced sight is of no advantage.
I put Hogue grip on mine. Made a big difference in ability to draw and control while shooting. Also reduces felt recoil.
& round mag adds enough to help support the pinky as well as giving you an extra round.

Cholo

Staff member
I have several holsters for my LCP but settled on an Uncle George's:

www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx

Do buy the magguts spring and follower that allows you one more round in the magazine. I've never heard a bad thing about them.

http://magguts.com/shop/ruger

Use whatever ammo you feel the most confident in. I use Cor-Bon.

http://shopcorbon.com/corbon/original-jhp/380-auto-90gr-corbon-self-defense-jhp

No failures with any ammo I've fed thru my LCP. I believe I could load them backwards and they would function :mrgreen: