SR40 vs SR40c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alan in Vermont

Bearcat
I'm developing a desire for a SR40/40c. I like the feel of the 40, it feels a lot better, in my hand, that any other double stack setup I have fondled. But I'm looking at it for a carry gun.

Nobody local has a 40c on the shelf. The specs. have it slightly smaller than the 40 but only by fractions of an inch. Does anyone have both guns or has been able to compare them side-by-side.

The purchase will be a ways off no matter what as I will probably have to sell something to do it anyhow.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Alan in Vermont said:
I'm developing a desire for a SR40/40c. I like the feel of the 40, it feels a lot better, in my hand, that any other double stack setup I have fondled. But I'm looking at it for a carry gun.

Nobody local has a 40c on the shelf. The specs. have it slightly smaller than the 40 but only by fractions of an inch. Does anyone have both guns or has been able to compare them side-by-side.

The purchase will be a ways off no matter what as I will probably have to sell something to do it anyhow.

I've carried the 40c now pretty much everyday for the last 3 and a half years. I'd strongly urge you not to buy the full size as an every day carry as you said would be it's purpose. The 40c comes with a 15 round magazine that will increase the grip length to something very similar to the full size.

You will find you rarely carry the 15 round magazine I suspect while trying to conceal it. The truth is even the 40c with the 10 round magazine can be almost too much in the summer. Also as you may know the 40c is not a light pistol, fully loaded with 10 rounds you will need a strong belt and good holster to pull it off. It feels and carries much differently then an LC9 for instance or any similar single stack in terms of size and weight. It will require more work on your part to pull off, but it is absolutely possible.

1. Good purpose designed belt
2. Good holster, I recommend a hybrid of some type with 2 clips on each end. (the 2 clips help spread the weight along the belt slightly.)
3. Then start thinking about buying the Sr40c.

If you fail to do 1&2 I think you will run into troubles with the 40c. I wish you luck,

Al James

Hunter
I own both...if you want a gun to carry go with the C. If you only want one or the other I would also recommend the C. Good luck and let us know what you get. Mine have both been 100% BTW.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I CC'ed the 40 for a couple years and added the 40c two years ago. 40c is easier to hide, both are fine pistols and best dollar for dollar on the market no bad choice, just personal preference.
I currently carry a G29, just because of the 10mm chambering. if Ruger made one, I would sell the Glocks (woods gun is a G20).
for general duty .40 is fine and I strongly recommend the Ruger. I also own a S&W MP40 which might get out of the safe once in a while. great pistol, I just prefer the ergo's of the SR series.

Alan in Vermont

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone.

I will probably end up going with the C model.

Right now I am limited to two choices for CC, neither of which are really ideal. One is a very old 1911 which I can either run in an IWB kydex holster or tucked in the small of my back. Those work OK for short periods but the 45 is a little uncomfortable in either when in a vehicle. The other is an early Charter Bulldog in 44 Sp. which I haven't found any real good way to carry yet, I'm going to play with some kydex this winter to see what I can come up with. The Charter isn't all that big but the cylinder makes it thick.

Years ago I carried a model 36, 2" S&W in my hip pocket all the time. It printed unless I had a long shirt or jacket over it.

I'm not a 9mm fan or an LCP would probably be just fine.

I've shot a couple of the super light 357s and IMO the violent recoil makes a second shot problematic as the gun shifts too much in my hand(s). Sure I could load it down but then it's back into 38 territory.

Simply Rugged makes a fine holster for the Charter Arms-Sourdough Pancake. It can be worn IWB or OWB. Bianchi, Desantis, and Galco all make something for the Bulldog mostly OWB. Good luck.
gramps

DT Jacob

Bearcat
Alan:

Have you tried Parro's in Waterbury???? He might have the SR40C & they are GREAT people to deal with........

Alan in Vermont

Bearcat
DT Jacob said:
Alan:

Have you tried Parro's in Waterbury???? He might have the SR40C & they are GREAT people to deal with........

I might try there, but only as a last resort. The one time I was in there was back in February. Linda and I were roaming gun shops in search of a 94 Winchester for her. They didn't have anything so we roamed the store for a few minutes. I asked about some speedloader pouches, nothing they carry but could order them.

They didn't have anything that I found interesting but I did grab a bottle of RCBS case lube. The guy at the counter asked if that was all I had and when I said it was he made some comment about, "Well, we'll be able to keep the heat on for a couple more hours". My wife picked up on the way it was said about as quick as I did, which is unusual for her, she's pretty laid back.

Latest posts