Does anyone still carry an original LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal44

Bearcat
I have an LC9 I bought a couple years ago.

It's the hammer version. I'm considering including it on my carry list (I can only have 3 guns on the list).

Does anyone still use one of these?

What advantages (if any) do you see.

I can't see trading it for an LC9s, as the value has plummeted.

I'm primarily a revolver guy.

Dave

hittman

Staff member
I'm a revolver guy and carry the LC9 every day. Here's a brief story that's also in another thread here some place.

I rarely shot my LC9 but took it to the range one day. Had many light primer strikes. I told my semi-auto loving friends this was proof a semi-auto can't be trusted. So ..... I sent it back to Ruger and got it fixed for free.

Upon return, I decided to see how many rounds it'd take for the gun to fail again. After 800 trouble free rounds I figured the gun had earned the right to be carried and I do. Now I'm at 1100 or more rounds through it and never had a hiccup.

I understand the LC9s has a "better trigger" but I've learned to shoot THIS gun. And, THIS gun is now proven reliable and dependable.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I carry my LC9. I also have an LC9s, but prefer to carry the hammer model.
Why? I feel the heavier trigger is a better choice FOR ME to carry.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
I carry an original LC9. Quite awhile ago, I removed the magazine safety (which I hate anyway). The removal shortened the trigger pull; it turned (in my opinion) an excessively long pull into a nice, safe double action pull.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Yup, LC9 is my EveryDayCarry. Haven't had a reason to change it into anything else. It works good, does what I want it to do and feels right.

welder

Buckeye
I had one that I sold to a friend at work after I put several hundred trouble free rounds through it. He still carries it and has had no problems with it either.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I still carry my original. It does what it's supposed to do!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Hammers and safety levers matter. Of course the LC9 is "still" a deadly weapon designed to be carried safely in an everyday manner.

Design-wise:
1. Strikers are a solution to a non-existent problem.
2. Taking a manual safety off a carry gun designed with one already is a fools game.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I had the LC9S and it does have a great trigger but I like to carry in pocket without a holster. Could not with the LC9S trigger way to light (have to have a holster).
I am now looking for the LC9. Having trouble finding one locally.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I carry an LC9 in warm weather, but switch over to my SR40c in colder weather, i really like the LC9 in warm weather because it will conceal well almost all of the time. I really like the trigger on the new striker version and will probably try one next spring, hopefully they are as dependable as the hammer fired pistol has been.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I still carry my original LC9 with Lasermax. Only mod I have made is adding XS big dot sights.

ruddy

Bearcat
I originally bought one for my wife, because she could rack the slide and found it easy to handle. She didn't like the long trigger pull, so I replaced it with a LC9S Pro when that model came out, which she likes a lot better. That meant I inherited her LC9. I carry mine in a DeSantis pocket holster, because it's so thin. After removing the magazine disconnect, I find the trigger pull to be completely acceptable. I prefer a longer double action trigger for pocket carry. I find it to be well made and quite reliable with hollow points.

ftuber1234

Bearcat
I have one and am searching for an inexpensive way to correct it's long trigger pull. The Galloway kit is $99, plus another $50 for labor, plus shipping! Local gunsmiths charge similarly. Kinda pricey! I've seen ads for the RTK trigger, but I don't really think it, in and of itself is the answer, but wonder if anyone just tried it alone? Saint Arms seems to be out of business and that's too bad, since they got some great reviews online. Any answers besides selling the gun at a big loss and starting all over again with the LC9S?
Ruger has been no help and you would home they would offer a reasonably priced solution to their loyal owners. Unfortunate.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It isn't a target gun, the long trigger was designed as a deliberate safety feature for a gun made for one purpose - to save your life.

I read these comments and its like someone saying "I love my Baby Browning, I just want to make it fire a bigger bullet..." :roll:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Every time something new appears (in this case two new in the LC9 category) people automatically feel like they've got "substandard goods."

And you all do! Muahahahaah! :twisted:

No, you don't. Get real. If the gun was a good carry piece before the newer models came out, and you liked them, and you shot them well, and still do, then why worry about it?

Anyone responsible will tell you that 90% of carry is the person doing the carrying and how well they can shoot their gun safely. Shot placement. Draw time. Discipline and judgment. Practice. Mindfulness. A good, comfortable carry rig that you use regularly. Knowing the rules of Deadly Force and understanding how to win a gun fight.

From what I've been able to understand, Ruger went ahead and made the new LC9 striker models because of popular demand. That doesn't mean that people who own the older models instantly became less competent or that their guns became obsolete. My $0.02 anways.

If you really don't like it, find a good shop that will take it as a trade and/or sell it on consignment, but don't do it just because the Marketing Department has made you jealous.

P.S. I still have my Generation 1.1 SR9 (with the round mag. release, from way back in the Pleistocene Age of 2009) and never felt the need to upgrade it to the later model. It's still running fine. I should take another picture of it, almost 7 years down the road and I still smile a little every time I pick it up. ;)

Here's an old picture. I'll take a new one tomorrow, not much has changed. I still like this pistol a lot, it's my "house" gun. I will say that after a couple of weeks carrying my LC9s: the full-sized SR9 seems *large* by comparison, and I don't remember feeling that way about it when I bought it.

I'm now referring to my LC9s as the "goldilocks" pistol: Not too big, not too small - just right.

RUGER_SR9_11_SAFETY_OFF.jpg

ftuber1234

Bearcat
Why all the criticism just because someone wants to modify the trigger? I bought it thinking I'd like the trigger pull, but after firing it for a while and other guns with a shorter pull and reset, decided to either modify, or consider selling/trading. No need to get all critical and condescending! Got nothing to do with marketing either, friend.

Yawn

Blackhawk
First you said:

mohavesam said:
Hammers and safety levers matter. Of course the LC9 is "still" a deadly weapon designed to be carried safely in an everyday manner.

Design-wise:
1. Strikers are a solution to a non-existent problem.
2. Taking a manual safety off a carry gun designed with one already is a fools game.

Then you said:

mohavesam said:
It isn't a target gun, the long trigger was designed as a deliberate safety feature for a gun made for one purpose - to save your life.

I read these comments and its like someone saying "I love my Baby Browning, I just want to make it fire a bigger bullet..." :roll:

That second line of a long trigger pull in a gun without an external thumb safety is EXACTLY the problem that striker fired weapons solved. A much crisper trigger was achieved resulting in much better accuracy and more wide range ability to use and use well, but without giving up the safe degree of safety.

exavid

Hunter
I've been carrying an original LC9 for around three and a half years now. It's my favorite carry gun though as needed I will carry my LCP, SR40c or my S&W M&P 45ACP. I don't find the trigger pull on the LCP or LC9 to be a detriment. You aren't going to have negligent discharge with these two pistols. No need to use the safety either. The DAO action with the long trigger pull is a lot like a .38 snubby. It took me quite a few rounds to become sufficiently proficient with the LCP and LC9 but it was worth it. I usually fire the two magazines for each gun once a month then reload. That way the guns get tested monthly and I'm always carrying fresh ammo. So far with at over 1000 rounds in both guns they've been 100% reliable. I trust them completely.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Yes, it is a great carry gun. The trigger isn't a target trigger, but it works well for a defensive carry gun. I don't try to stage it and then break it.... I roll the trigger through its full range for the shot and get better accuracy that way.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I carried one for about a year but just couldn't get to a point where the trigger pull was not an issue. It was a safe carry gun but just not for me. I prefer to carry my XD or Glock 26 in the winter and my P238 in the summer. I wish I had the S model and may get one, not sure. The LC9 has such a nice grip shape with the extended mag and carries very well. I carried in a Bianchi Model 100 IWB and never a complaint about that part.