If You Could Only Have ONE Ruger P Series......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Glasstream15 said:
I never knew they made a "P" rifle. Did it come in .45 ACP and where can I get one?

Nope, as far as I know they only made a PC (Police Carbine) in a 9 and 40 (PC9 and PC40).

Roy, I knew the mags were a mate to all Ps (same cal of course), but didn't quite put the P94 9mm with the PC9 and the P944 with the PC40 as matched units.....until now. Well, maybe I did, but forgot about it since I was never lucky enough to get a PC9 or PC40. But now that you refreshed my memory...... I may renew the search.
But I'm not sure the PC is any better than a handheld pistol especially with them both being 9mm.

I really don't see much difference between any of my P's, other than size, caliber, capacity or DC/Safety, and probably why I like em all pretty much equally. I have not shot my KP93DC, KP94DC or the KP944DC (which still has the new stickers on the slide). On looks/feel/capacity alone, with all having the same aftermarket grips.... I'd lean towards the KP94DC. I do like the capacity of the 9's over the 40 or 45. Don't have, but considered the P95...but not sure I'd like the polymer.

roylt

Hunter
The 95 is the same as the 93 in size and function. Basically the same gun less the frame material and the fact you can change grips on the 93.

If you need a beater look for a 95 otherwise might as well stay away. Unless you are trying to complete a P-gun "set". That is what made me get the 95 and 97 and 345. At first I told myself I would not get the poly frame units. but had too once the fever hit.

As Terry says "and so it goes...."

welder

Buckeye
Ah!, P95, love em. I have three left, used to have six but dang friends and co-workers were asleep when they were discontinued and on the shelf in any quantity for $305 stainless and $289 blue but now just have to have one for the truck or whatever. Sold one last week, gonna keep the rest for now. I gave a couple away to my son but he has since gone full CZ. If they're still around I may end up with them back in the stable, but most likely they were trading fodder, don't know, a few years ago.

welder

Buckeye
Al James said:
welder said:
It'd be my P90, rock solid reliable and accurate. Currently have three and would take three more.

+1 :wink:

The P90 safety version loaded with Hornady Critical Defense is my long serving night stand gun. I have complete confidence in it's reliability and trust it to work and work well should I need it in a hurry and I suppose that is my best endorsement of the platform. But I would have no problem seeing a P95/P94/P89 in that role either.

welder said:
Al James said:
welder said:
It'd be my P90, rock solid reliable and accurate. Currently have three and would take three more.

+1 :wink:

The P90 safety version loaded with Hornady Critical Defense is my long serving night stand gun. I have complete confidence in it's reliability and trust it to work and work well should I need it in a hurry and I suppose that is my best endorsement of the platform. But I would have no problem seeing a P95/P94/P89 in that role either.
Wonder if I could get it cerakoted desert tan and g10 scorpion grips...

Mike J

Hunter
I do only have one Ruger P series. It is a P94 in .40 caliber. It is a safety model. In all honesty when I bought it I didn't even know decocker only versions were available (I wish I had known). There is nothing wrong with it. There are other guns I shoot better than it now but that is mostly because it rarely get shot any more. I never really wanted another one. They are good guns but I get curious about what else it out there & want to try different platforms-learn new things.

SamV

Buckeye
I have a P90 and I have probably only put 150 rounds through it. Not sure why it doesn't really call to me. I also have a P95 that I want to hate for its looks. But that darn gun eats everything, points well, recoils softly, and is accurate. Even without trying, I shoot it well. I wish it was a decock only model. Actually I don't mind a safety, just the fact that it is backwards from everybody else.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
If I HAD to have a Ruger P-series, it would be a P90.

Hi,

Only P series that ever interested me was the P89.

Unfortunately for Ruger, the dealer also had a CZ-75B in 9mm that day for $10 more... Adding a Kadet conversion kit so it shoots .22s, that CZ does double duty, and that quite nicely: it's more accurate than most of the P89s I've seen (one possible exception: my buddy's first one, which the guys worked over in our shop into a gun that "works the way Ruger intended" as the boss liked to say), while being more reliable than my MkII 5.5" bull barrel and equally accurate. Plus it's all steel and doesn't have a case of "Ruger rattle" as it was called both in our shop and by the totally unrelated gun salesman who sold me the CZ.

So to borrow from DA_TriggR4Ruger, if I HAD to have one, it would be the P89.

Rick C

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Over the years I have owned two P-95's and two P-89's (one a DAO and one a safety/decocker). They were all OK, functional and reliable, but not the kind of guns that generated a lot of enthusiasm for me. I now have an SR9c that is a better all-round gun for what I want.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
I've had occasion to shoot all of the P Series along the way and own my two favorites ..... P95dc and KP345. In addition to both being solid, dependable and comfortable shooters, the real reason I can't decide between the two is shown below from a recent range session :)

194ecb00-e4a5-4365-9dd4-a966169638f9_zpsgzprry9k.jpg

Al James

Hunter
Nice shooting Buck! I have always considered the P guns to be much more accurate than what many here give it credit for. Yes, they are not the easiest gun to shoot well....but they are not target guns. Looking at your 10yd groups is why I have always called BS on the 8-10" groups at 10yds posts left here by some.