Trijicon night sight install on a P95.. HELP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It seems a while back I must have ordered a set of these Trijicon night sights for my P95 and Midway finally shipped them last week... both the Midway sight and Trijicon's show that these sights will fit not only on a P90/91 but also on my P95. (Package only list P90/91)

Here is the dilemma... Of course Trijicon says that professional installation is recommended.... but I've been know to do somethings myself and I thought I might could manage pushing the rear sight out and this one back in and doing the same with the front sight.... but the P95 has two small pins holding the front sight ... there are no holes in the Trijicon front sight for these pins to pass through..... are you suppose to drill these holes and what size and how?.... there is no hint of installation instructions in the packaging.

Anybody here familiar with this problem?

(This post duplicated in the smithy section)

Easiest way is to remove the front sight and put the new sight in place. Then take a drill bit the same size as the roll pins that came out and drill from both sides and reinstall the roll pins. Do it from both sides so that you don't angle the drill bit and not come out the other side incorrectly.

If they are tritium, when you put the front sight in, just make sure that when you drill you won't be hitting the tritium vial. If it looks like you will, then you won't be able to use it.

If everything looks ok, don't get in a rush. When you put the front sight in, use a bit of Loc-Tite to hold it in position. Let it dry, then do the drilling.

Once drilled, tap the roll pins back in and you're all set. If perchance they are not roll pins, you can either get roll pins that are the same size and use them, or put a very small bend in the pins so they are nice and solid when you put them back in.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The drill bit used to drill replacement Ruger front sight blades to match the factory ones is a 1/16". Remove the factory sight blade by driving out the pins with a 1/16" punch. Then slip in the replacement blade and clamp it in place with tape or a rubber band. Drill 1/2 way through one hole using the holes in the ramp as guides. Then turn the slide over and drill the rest of the way through the same hole. Drive in the one pin. Then do the second hole the same way.

blume357 said:
It seems a while back I must have ordered a set of these Trijicon night sights for my P95 and Midway finally shipped them last week... both the Midway sight and Trijicon's show that these sights will fit not only on a P90/91 but also on my P95. (Package only list P90/91)

Here is the dilemma... Of course Trijicon says that professional installation is recommended.... but I've been know to do somethings myself and I thought I might could manage pushing the rear sight out and this one back in and doing the same with the front sight.... but the P95 has two small pins holding the front sight ... there are no holes in the Trijicon front sight for these pins to pass through..... are you suppose to drill these holes and what size and how?.... there is no hint of installation instructions in the packaging.

Anybody here familiar with this problem?

(This post duplicated in the smithy section)

Lol. I remember that post. Holy crap that was a long time ago. I'll have to search for it.

roylt

Hunter
Those roll pins are boogers for sure. I changed one front site so far and have two more still in the drawer. What was posted is good info and go slow for sure.

bigbob

Single-Sixer
These p guns DO NOT HAVE 1/16 Pins in them. They are closer to 1/32" and the gun is Aluminum Cast so don't just whack on it. You will see TWO pins and if you put a 1/16" punch on these you will see that you are hitting aluminum, I tried it. Pay to get it installed and save the gun!!!!

roylt

Hunter
The slide is not aluminum. Stainless or blued steel. Pin diameter is small but I bought my punch at the local big box store. Menards specifically.

Keep the P-guns alive (and the posts ;))

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Talk to HI VIZ, they wont tell you the real size but they will install it for a small fee. I talked to him and he laughed and said NO it is not 1/16' but we will do it for you we have the CORRECT size tools here & he is the one that said it is a alum compound
P90

This is funny, I had forgotten about this post and actually missed all the replies ... even the first ones.... every once and a while I will think about working on this but have not as of yet.... may still get to it.

Good birthday present for me!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
bigbob said:
These p guns DO NOT HAVE 1/16 Pins in them. They are closer to 1/32" and the gun is Aluminum Cast so don't just whack on it. You will see TWO pins and if you put a 1/16" punch on these you will see that you are hitting aluminum, I tried it. Pay to get it installed and save the gun!!!!
I don't know where you got this information but all of it is wrong. I have changed the sights on two P-95's and a P-89 (and, incidentally an SP-101) and all of them had 1/16" pins retaining the front sight blades. A 1/16" punch removed the OEM pins cleanly and with out distorting the original holes or pins. Then a 1/16" drill bit piloted by the holes in the slide made the proper holes in the new sight blades and 1/16" roll pins fastened it in place properly.

Also, the slide is certainly not aluminum. It is stainless steel or blued carbon steel.