SR9c striker not cocking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

miner49r

Bearcat
I've been carrying this SR9c since Illinois passed CC. The pistol gets cleaned weekly whether it has been fired or not and has functioned flawlessly until today.
At the range today the striker failed to cock at least once per magazine. (four mags)
Returning home I fully dis-assembled the pistol which showed no more dirt than the forty rounds shot through it.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Pretty hard to diagnose something like this on line. Recommend you take it to a gunsmith. Have you been dry firing it without a magazine inserted? If you have, you may have damaged the striker and/or the mag safety. Ruger warns about this in the user manual.

miner49r

Bearcat
fan... don't you wash your junk on a regular basis? :roll:

gunny... Magazine safety was removed the moment I brought it home and I have not been dry firing it. I was hoping there might a common problem with the striker with an easy fix. Back to Ruger it goes.

I'm a little disappointed right now since this pistol has converted a few guys from the "G pistol" camp.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I gave the striker on my SR9 a mirror polishing with some Mother's Mag Polish and it cured what little drag there was. Really smoothed things out!

DrDenby

Bearcat
miner49r said:
fan... don't you wash your junk on a regular basis? :roll:

gunny... Magazine safety was removed the moment I brought it home and I have not been dry firing it. I was hoping there might a common problem with the striker with an easy fix. Back to Ruger it goes.

I'm a little disappointed right now since this pistol has converted a few guys from the "G pistol" camp.

When you say fully disassembled, do you mean the frame as well?

Reason I ask is that if the trigger bar LIFT spring has slipped its position, or bent or damaged then the striker will not charge properly.

Check to see that it is seated in proper position in the housing and trigger bar

Doc

btw: junk cleaning is a bad analogy, you have sweat, odors, bacteria, etc.. I have never heard of cleaning an unused gun weekly. If you do it for fun, hey it's your gun, you do whatever you want.. just don't polish it weekly.

miner49r

Bearcat
Sent the SR9C to Ruger and they replaced the trigger bar lift spring, safety lever, trigger assembly, slide stop assembly, trigger bar reset, striker blocker and assembly. The invoice also states that they replaced certain parts of the firearm as part of a rolling change service update. (not sure what this entails) It appears that the only original parts left are the frame, slide, and barrel. Fourty rounds of Black Hills 115gr FMG and 30 rounds of Geco 128gr FMG and Ruger called it good to go.

Three months have gone by and I finally dragged the firearm out to the range where I fed 20 rounds each of 115gr and 124gr FMJ with only one striker/trigger reset malfunction. I hope to get this sorted out someday, but it will be a long time before I will able to trust this firearm again.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
While I agree trying to diagnose a problem like this online is probably a useless effort...however a thought.-
I noticed you didn't mention that they replaced the recoil spring. What if through some failure of that part your slide is not reliably reciprocating reliably enough to move the slide far enough back to engage the trigger reset each time? What if something binds up there occasionally?

You could send it back but you know what I would do? Go to shopruger on Ruger's main website and buy the recoil spring. I think they are only about $10 bucks. I'd do that to save myself the hassle of shipping it back and making one last attempt to correct the problem.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
What sort of mags are you using? When I had my SR9C the 17 round mags actually dragged on the trigger bar some, causing similar failures. With 10 round flush fit mags it was perfect.

I never did like the Ruger design of separate springs to lift the trigger bar and pull it back. I think they should have done a more simple and foolproof design similar to the Glock NY1 trigger bar spring.

websterz

Single-Sixer
I had a few failures to strike when my SR9 was brand new. It absolutely hated 115 grain loads. Once I started feeding it a steady diet of 124's it was 100% reliable.