LC9S Pro Magazine Won't drop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DenKen

Bearcat
The problem I'm having is that it won't drop the empty magazine. Both US and Italian magazines exhibit the same problem. Gun has only had about 200 rounds through it. On some occasions when I load the magazine and then try to release it there is a pretty substantial click but the mag won't drop. I returned the gun to Ruger and they did the update which apparently is related to the magazine dropping issue. Same problem exists and the gun is on the way back again.

Anyone else having this problem?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Are you saying the magazine won't "drop free" or are you saying it won't come out even if you pull on it? I don't understand why someone would need a "drop free" magazine from a small little pistol anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

DenKen

Bearcat
It won't drop free...it can be pulled out though. I practice by having another person load a random number of cartridges in the first magazine so I have to reload to continue firing. Something that can definitely come in handy and needs practiced. If you are just target shooting it would not be a problem.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
If you anticipate the need to do "tactical reloads" with your LC9, you have bigger issues than the magazine not dropping free, you're hanging out in some very bad neighborhoods. A target rich environment of that many bad guys would likely call for the carrying of an AR or hanging out with a platoon of Marines.

You might want to consider that this little gun with it's little buttons could lose it's mag easily in a crazed situation. Just having to reseat it might not be so bad.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Many guns are purposely designed so the magazines won't drop free. It prevents losing the magazine if the release is inadvertently pushed or having the magazine hit the ground when released. The CZ-75 and CZ-85 have a "magazine brake" in their mag wells intended to retain the magazine until it is specifically pulled out. It's a feature, not a bug.

MrHix

Bearcat
Mine drops the mags just fine. Now if my right thumb were just a little bit longer . . .

Cheers,

MrHix

Not sure if mind does or not... seems like on one or two occasions when I went to undress I've noticed the magazine loose and had to push it back in fully. So, in thinking about this... with a small concealed carry weapon like the LC9 I would prefer that the magazine not drop free easily. Not cool if you are standing in line at the local flower shop run by the Hillary's gay cousin who has no gun signs on the front and the mag. pops out on the floor......

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
seems like on one or two occasions when I went to undress I've noticed the magazine loose and had to push it back in fully. So, in thinking about this... with a small concealed carry weapon like the LC9 I would prefer that the magazine not drop free easily.
My Kel-Tec P3AT had a tendency to do this too so I filed down the mag release button to make it less prominent and less likely to be pushed inadvertently. I can still release the magazine but only when I want to.

checked mine with a full mag and it drops fine and then I realized that I should try it with an empty one... still drops fine... even has some kind of spring that pops it out... still works with an empty mag and the slide locked back.... if you hold the pistol upside down with the mag well pointed up and push the release button the magazine will pop up about a 1/4".

DenKen

Bearcat
Gun was returned to Ruger for the second time and I requested them to call me when the tech was working on it. He admitted something was definitely wrong as the magazines would not come out unless you pulled them out.

They are going to replace the gun.