LC9s magazine diconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

str8shot

Bearcat
My wife has decided her sr9c is to heavy for daily carry in her purse.
She really likes the lc9s pro trigger but wants the lc9s because of the safety.
I am not a fan of magazine disconnect safeties.
My question is , does the mag disconnect come out of the lc9s as easily as it does on the
sr9 series of pistols?
has anyone taken it out of their lc9s and if so did it improve the trigger pull at all?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I took mine straight out as soon as I got the gun. Did not improve an already best trigger in any 9mm compact but I am very happy the disconnect is gone. There are videos on youtube out there on how to remove it. Mine was not difficult but the best I remember I ended up trashing it while taking it out which I did not care it is never going back in anyway.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There are a couple of You Tube videos showing in detail how to remove it and a search will easily find them. It's not that easy as some pretty major disassembly of the receiver is required involving removal of a bunch of pins, springs, etc. to get to it. Watch the videos and decide if it's worth it. The SR-series is simplicity by comparison.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
Its a bit more difficult on the S than the standard LC9 because of the trigger safety. The first time I took mine out I punched the roll pin out of the trigger to push the trigger pin up through the trigger. I recently put it back in to send off to Ruger for an issue and was able to pry the trigger pin out from the top. Would have taken about 10 minutes start to finish if I didnt have a brain fart putting things back together. I put the trigger bar back in upside down so once everything was back together pulling the trigger did nothing. Which also makes it impossible to get the slide back off. If that ever happens you can just pop the take down pins out again and slip everything out of the frame, turn the trigger bar over, and put it all back together again.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
jstanfield103 said:
I took mine straight out as soon as I got the gun. Did not improve an already best trigger in any 9mm compact but I am very happy the disconnect is gone. There are videos on youtube out there on how to remove it. Mine was not difficult but the best I remember I ended up trashing it while taking it out which I did not care it is never going back in anyway.

I haven't had any reason to disagree with this so far. You're right about the trigger. I don't know how much good removing the magazine disconnect would do to "improve" it.

Also, it's been a long time since I posted this simple thought but I'll do it again now: if you live in a jurisdiction where you are likely to be scrutinized at length by a prosecutor who doesn't really believe in personal ownership of firearms - in the event you ever have to use yours in a bad situation - it might be preferable to have a pistol that has not been modified from the factory configuration in any way. Just sayin'.

There are only 2 pins that are removed, and then the whole assembly comes out of the grip section. Flip it over and you will see the mag release around the trigger. Take a small screwdriver and pop it up so it's loose, then take a pair of wire snips and cut it at the smallest part. Bend it up and it will slide off the trigger. I did both of my LC9s in about 5 minutes each. This is the quickest way to do it if you know for sure you are never going to put the mag release back in your gun.

Steve

The reason for removing the magazine disconnect is simple. The location of the magazine release button is where it is easily pushed during firing, dropping the mag a tiny bit and disabling the weapon. A friend of mine did it the first time he shot it and It happened to me twice before I took it out. I'd rather fight a nasty lawyer that be at my own funeral.