P97 slide stop problem : Hype or real ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Was the Ruger P97 slide stop problem a real problem with a lot of guns or just a few here and there ? I can't find a straight answer without people either slamming Ruger or just saying it was a myth and a bunch of hype.
Anyone know for sure and what did Ruger do to solve the problem ? And what years were the guns affected ? Thanks for any information

welder

Buckeye
I've have searched much myself after I first heard of the problem and what I found was that apparently Ruger had a "geometry problem" with some of the early recoil assemblies. It was supposedly remedied on the first guns. I have not been able to find anything from Ruger but found several threads on the Ruger.net forum along with other boards.

Sorry this is probably not a lot of help and I too would like more information.

The P97 I have has been flawless in about three hundred rounds or so and shoots very well for me.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
welder said:
I've have searched much myself after I first heard of the problem and what I found was that apparently Ruger had a "geometry problem" with some of the early recoil assemblies. It was supposedly remedied on the first guns. I have not been able to find anything from Ruger but found several threads on the Ruger.net forum along with other boards.

Sorry this is probably not a lot of help and I too would like more information.

The P97 I have has been flawless in about three hundred rounds or so and shoots very well for me.

Thanks Welder , mine was made in the first year of production. So far mine has been good but I havent gotten too much range time with it. When I bought it used , I only shot a few rounds out of it to function test it.

welder

Buckeye
I forgot to mention that while trying to find out about the slide stop issue I also saw several mentions of brass being ejected to the face. I have not seen this in mine, however I have a P94 that would hit me regularly until I tweaked the extractor a bit and the problem away.
If I find anything more official about either problem I'll send you a link.

My P97 was one of the ones effected by the slide stop popping out while shooting. Ruger was GREAT about fixing it. Loved how they took care of it. Sent it off and had it back in less than a month. The fix was: replaced the camblock, added the spring loaded ball detent into the slide-stop and cut a notch in the frame for it to perfectly fit into. This is standard on P95s and MOST P97s...

Don't have that gun anymore, but I got it a couple years before the P345 came out. Glad I kept my P97 at that time and passed on the other. A buddy of mine was an early adopter. Click-no-Bang.

welder

Buckeye
Was the click no bang occurring on the guns that were dry fired w/o a mag in place only or did this happen for any other reasons?

I have had three P345's and currently have only one but have never experienced any issues with any of them with the exception of the first, it failed to go fully into battery a few times during the first 100 rounds or so but otherwise, no problems.

welder said:
Was the click no bang occurring on the guns that were dry fired w/o a mag in place only or did this happen for any other reasons?

I have had three P345's and currently have only one but have never experienced any issues with any of them with the exception of the first, it failed to go fully into battery a few times during the first 100 rounds or so but otherwise, no problems.

He never dry fired it. But weather or not it was dry-fired when on "shelf-life" at the retailer, remains an unknown factor. Sent it back to Ruger and it did the same thing when he got it back.

No aftermarket parts or modifications were ever used with this weapon.

I think Ruger eventually wound up replacing it, don't know if he still has it or not.

welder

Buckeye
After reading your reply I remember when the P345 first hit my LGS. I saw a clerk demonstrate the mag safety to a customer by putting a pencil, eraser first, into the barrel of a P345 with the mag out and pulling the trigger. Of course nothing happened until he reinserted the mag and did the same trick again only this time the pencil jumped up in the barrel a few inches. This was a brand new gun and I wonder how often that little demonstration happened?

The OP was asking for a clearly defined proccess in which Ruger resolved the slide stop issue in a P97 pistol. Not to overshadow my experience with the P345, I wonder if he read my response....

Latest posts