SR9 Safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BrentHG

Bearcat
I am old school when it comes to firearms, haven't owned any for a long time. When I decided to get my concealed carry license, I started doing my research on the wide variety of handguns available today and one of my requirements was that it had to have a manual safety. I selected the Ruger SR9 for that reason.

Now that I've had some range time with this gun, I realized that the manual safety also locks the slide, too. When I want to unload it, I have to take it off safety, and that seems a bit unsafe.

I know there are other handguns with a manual safety. Do they also lock the slide?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
BrentHG said:
I am old school when it comes to firearms, haven't owned any for a long time. When I decided to get my concealed carry license, I started doing my research on the wide variety of handguns available today and one of my requirements was that it had to have a manual safety. I selected the Ruger SR9 for that reason.

Now that I've had some range time with this gun, I realized that the manual safety also locks the slide, too. When I want to unload it, I have to take it off safety, and that seems a bit unsafe.

I know there are other handguns with a manual safety. Do they also lock the slide?

Yes, there are some others. But I wouldn't worry about the SR9 when clearing. Just keep your finger off the trigger, and pointed in a safe direction. The SR9 and some others have a built in trigger safety that will not allow the gun to fire without pulling the trigger. Check your user manual, page 8.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
All 1911s have manual safeties that also lock the slide as do other models. As noted, the SR9 is very safe even without the manual safety as long as you don't actively pull the trigger.

To clear the gun remove the magazine, thumb off the safety and retract the slide to eject the chambered round. All done and safe.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
To clear the gun remove the magazine, thumb off the safety and retract the slide to eject the chambered round. All done and safe.

22/45 beat me to it. :)

BrentHG

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback guys. Practice practice practice...feeling more comfortable everytime I unload and safety check.

haymaker

Single-Sixer
Another safety feature of the SR9 is the magazine safety. If the trigger is pulled after the magazine is removed the gun will not fire. Just another added safety feature when clearing the gun. Some people don't like magazine safeties but I like redundancy when it comes to safety.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
good for you thinking safety first. never become complacent. I taught my children there are two things in life once let go can never be I'm sorryed away. words and bullets.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
BrentHG said:

Like you I require a thumb safety, a few of my favorites which can be cycled with the safety on/or decocker engaged are the FN X, the Classic Sigs, several of the H&Ks and the Beretta FS series.