SR45 mag disconnect removal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Found a # of comments on removing the mag disconnect on SR45, but do not know how. Help please.

seabreeze

Al James

Hunter
Sticky at the top of the page should get you going! SR series should all be the same.

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback. I should have seen the sticky.

I think the best thing for me is to sell the Ruger and go back to 1911 or possibly the SAR K2 45ACP. I can detail strip and reassemble the 1911's and am more comfortable with the 1911. These striker fired guns a WAY to complex with lotsa parts to break/lose.

Thanks for all the feedback and patience.

seabreeze

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger SR slides are very easy to disassemble and reassemble and certainly no more difficult, complex or fragile than a 1911. Removing the mag disconnect is a very easy procedure and shouldn't require much of a learning curve.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
seabreeze133 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I should have seen the sticky.

I think the best thing for me is to sell the Ruger and go back to 1911 or possibly the SAR K2 45ACP. I can detail strip and reassemble the 1911's and am more comfortable with the 1911. These striker fired guns a WAY to complex with lotsa parts to break/lose.

Thanks for all the feedback and patience.

seabreeze
easy money after you do it once or twice. my 1911's come out to play several times a year, my striker fired polymer pistols get carried. don't sell the SR45 until you have given her a fair open minded chance. because she is different doesn't mean she isn't good. mine may be the most accurate pistol I own. it is also completely reliable and handles recoil very well. you won't need to worry about breakage, unless you drive over it with your truck.
wish Ruger made a 10mm on this frame. that would be outstanding!

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Well in spite of having a mechanical IQ in the signal digit range....I was able to pull the mag DC....with the help of Rah the kat. :eek:) Good news is it seems to function.

Now for the next step. Need a decent trigger pull. Not something that feels as if Ruger left a bucket of sand in the mechanism. What is the opinion of the GALLOWAY kit?

BTW. Maybe I can combine the question WRT the slide not locking open when running the slide with a mag in place when dry firing. It appears the mag spring is VERY weak.
I Pulled the springs and stretched them, reinstalled and it worked. Left the mags loaded over night...same issue. No lockback.

Was advised by gunsmith at dealer to not leave mags loaded longer than a week. Rotate. This is counterintuitive to what I have done for 50 years w/1911 mags. Leave em loaded as long as 3 years and never had an issue. Is this something Ruger is aware of and has new better springs.

calling Ruger tomorrow.

Serial # on my 30 day old pistol is 380-62xxx.

thanks

seabreeze

seabreeze133 said:
Found a # of comments on removing the mag disconnect on SR45, but do not know how. Help please.

seabreeze

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
seabreeze133 said:
Well in spite of having a mechanical IQ in the signal digit range....I was able to pull the mag DC....with the help of Rah the kat. :eek:) Good news is it seems to function.

Now for the next step. Need a decent trigger pull. Not something that feels as if Ruger left a bucket of sand in the mechanism. What is the opinion of the GALLOWAY kit?

BTW. Maybe I can combine the question WRT the slide not locking open when running the slide with a mag in place when dry firing. It appears the mag spring is VERY weak.
I Pulled the springs and stretched them, reinstalled and it worked. Left the mags loaded over night...same issue. No lockback.

Was advised by gunsmith at dealer to not leave mags loaded longer than a week. Rotate. This is counterintuitive to what I have done for 50 years w/1911 mags. Leave em loaded as long as 3 years and never had an issue. Is this something Ruger is aware of and has new better springs.

calling Ruger tomorrow.

thanks

seabreeze

seabreeze133 said:

seabreeze

You bought a gun that you don't like, sell it before you screw it up anymore than you already have. Stretching springs is done by people that know nothing about anything. Sorry, JMO.

....and BTW that gunsmith is no more of a gunsmith than I am a Lumberjack/Astronaut.

seabreeze133

Bearcat
Thanks for the comment JMO. But...The stretching of the springs was only a temporary move to confirm the springs were weak and they are. The springs will be replaced prior to use of the gun even if I have to buy them from Ruger as I will not put my issues off on others. Gun must be in working order before it is disposed of.

Plus it is correct that I do not like the gun. But because others seem satisfied I will give it a chance.

seabreeze

Cheesewhiz said:
seabreeze133 said:

calling Ruger tomorrow.

thanks

seabreeze

seabreeze133 said:

seabreeze

You bought a gun that you don't like, sell it before you screw it up anymore than you already have. Stretching springs is done by people that know nothing about anything. Sorry, JMO.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
seabreeze133 said:
As noted below, this is ridiculous advice and that "gunsmith" needs a good metallurgy course. My experience with Ruger magazine springs is that they are durable and as long lived as any good 1911 mag spring so it seems you got a defective or damaged one. Ruger should replace it at no cost, particularly if you are the original owner, or at low cost if you are not.