suggestions on a TSA 'approved' pistol case.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flying out west in just under 6 weeks and I was reviewing Delta's rules on checking a firearm. The one slight hitch is I'm planning to take two Ruger P95s and they say that all pistols and accessories must be packed in one case. So, a standard factory box won't work. I'd like as small of a case as possible so that it can be packed inside my checked bag but one that can hold the two P95s, probably 8 magazines, a small pistol cleaning kit and a box of ammo. I figure the other 'accessories' like the ear and eye protection, holster(s) and mag holders really don't have to be packed in with the other.

Dang it... I meant to put this in the Lounge... but I guess under semi auto pistols is close. I think I'll duplicate it. hope the hall monitors don't get too upset.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Double check with the airline again but I have packed multiple handgun (lockable) cases into one large piece of luggage and that was from the lovely airports in Chicago, so it was super easy and all. :lol:

This is Southwest Airlines rules (the airline I chose to use most often):

"Guns and Ammunition

Guns
Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.
Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.
Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows: A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.
Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.

Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.
Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.
Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

Ammunition
Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be subject to limited release."

Here's part of what Delta says:

Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
Pistol telescopes
Noise suppressors
A small pistol tool case
No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

I hate flying because you are dealing with multiple bureaucracies that are compiled of people that are more concerned with keeping their job than actually doing what is right and practical. So, my fear is I get some Delta employee or TSA person who follows the rules to the letter.

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
You're overthinking the problem. Find a hard sided case (try any gun-store for a small case that will hold two pistols). Get a lock. You keep the key on you (does not go to the TSA or anyone else). Very simple process which I've done many dozens of times. It's painless, really.

Rich

mr k

Bearcat
I use a Bulldog. It carries up to 3 pistols. Has a combo lock for my use and a TSA key lock for the TSA folks. I have not used it yet for travel but keep my guns in it for travel to and from the range. Love it

SWNM14

Bearcat
I like the Pelican case. They come in a wide variety of sizes and they have lockable (You supply the padlock) models. Bulletproof. Buy one bigger than you need and you can pack your accessories into it as well.