P95 slide stuck, help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

janderson021

Bearcat
Hello, First time posting here, longtime member (since I bought this P95 new).
I took it to the range the other day, no problems at all.
I cleaned it today, and after I put the slide back on and tried to cycle it, this happened.
I cannot get it unstuck. I don't know why this happened.
Before I put it back together I made sure the tang by the trigger was pushed down.
Has anyone seen this before? (2 pics attached)
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I tried a soft mallet softly but I was afraid of putting too much force to it.
Thanks in advance.

http://tinyurl.com/P95Slide1

http://tinyurl.com/P95Slide2

do the hook thing out of a metal coat hander and make sure the ejector is pulled down. then most probably what you will have to do is knock the ever loving heck out of the slide from the back.... what probably happened was the recoil spring part was not aligned quite right... this has happened to me twice.... you can get it loose with out harming the pistol...but you got to give it one more heck of a good wack.

janderson021

Bearcat
Thanks all. I tried unsuccessfully to unstick the slide after I hooked the ejector tab.
I could get moved back enough where I could put a finger in to move the tab if needed.
I banged it a few times with a soft mallet, still not moving.
I gave up and dropped it off at a lgs. So far he isn't having much luck either.
I'm hoping I don't have to look for a replacement (I have 4 mags for a P95).

Seems like the recoil spring rod part might have to be pushed a tad... put I do remember it getting stuck and taking some more serious hit to get it loose..... but a good gun smith should be able to do it, I promise. I know it's frustrating but it can be fixed..... I spent my morning cleaning P95's.... actually need a part for one... the retaining ring on one broke or came off and the collar on the end disappeared..... oops just found the collar, now I only need the retaining ring.

I think the P95s are great... I plan to use two in a very serious and intense 4 day defensive handgun course in a month.

Oh, and if all else fails you can send it to Ruger and they will fix it, probably for free.

janderson021

Bearcat
I was able to hook the ejector tab and move it to the down position, but still could not get the slide to move.
I took it to a LGS, he tried and couldn't get the slide off either.
I really don't need another hammer, so I think I am going to ship it to Ruger and have them try to get it working again.
This should not be that hard, and it should not be something that can happen.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, Ruger can fix it for sure and will likely do it for free. Be interesting to hear what happened. Mine got stuck some but could always be fixed once I got the little thingy pulled back down.

janderson021

Bearcat
So, I called Ruger and told them about the problem.
The sent me a pre-paid label and instructions on how to ship the gun to them.
I got it back in a week all fixed up, no charge.
The spec said they repaired the ejector and slide assembly.
The tech also recommends discontinue of current lubrication, use only a light oil.
I use Hoppes gun oil, I thought that was about standard good stuff.

Nevertheless, Ruger made this very easy for me to get this fixed.
Their customer service people on the phone were very helpful.
The only regret I have is the two weeks it sat at the lgs first, hoping he could he it unstuck.

welder

Buckeye
Hum? Just wondering if the ejector and or slide was damaged someway in the freeing attempts?

Either way, glad you got quickly and in good order.