Lc9s issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Indiana

Bearcat
Howdy all. I joined this forum specifically to ask a question about my lc9s and see if anyone has had a similar issue. It's a little disconcerting. The slide locks open prematurely.. Sometimes three times in a single mag. It only has maybe 150 rounds through it. Anyone have experience with this?

Indiana

Bearcat
It's doing it with Winchester white box and federal purple box fmj. I have a box of civil defense 60gr and critical defense 115gr I'll try today to see if there's a difference but both types of cheap practice ammo I've tried are doing it. I only have the factory mag.

roylt

Hunter
I bet it is your grip. You are probably hitting the slide stop with your thumb.

Had a guy try mine at the range and he hit the slide stop everytime. Small guns are small and take time to adjust to.

I could be wrong but I bet that is it.

SpicyMcHaggis

Bearcat
roylt said:
I bet it is your grip. You are probably hitting the slide stop with your thumb.

Had a guy try mine at the range and he hit the slide stop everytime. Small guns are small and take time to adjust to.

I could be wrong but I bet that is it.

Good bet I'd say, I do it with my 1911's more than anything else. My only problem is 3 failures to feed in 509 rounds.

Mine did it after the first round last weekend, only one time.. ... I'm thinking for me it was limp wristing... which I do when shooting both my P89s and 95s with no problem... but have found that if I shoot someone else's Glock or such I have to hold the pistol much tighter....

As for the OPs question.... it was probably partly the ammo and maybe limp wristing combined....

But I want to check on that slide stop answer too....

Indiana

Bearcat
I haven't shot it since posting this but it's entirely possible I'm hitting the slide release with my thumb.. Never thought of that.

gscrasher

Bearcat
Indiana, I haven't been on for a while or I would have responded sooner. My LC9S Pro locked back 3 to 4 times per magazine when I first got it. All the above suggestions are good, but in my case I was very careful to keep my fingers off the slide lock lever. Also, I was not limp-wristing.

I called Ruger and explained the problem, they sent me a return label right away. When I got the gun back, in about a week, they had replaced the slide assembly and the slide lock lever spring.

Since then, it's been working perfectly. I hope yours is now working whatever the problem. These are very nice pistols.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
If it still does this after you let some one else shoot the pistol then send it back into the factory and let them look at it.

I have the LC9S Pro model and my works flawlessly. I have a hard time releasing the locked slide with the slide lock button. I use two hands to shoot the gun. So I keep my right thumb off the slide lock when shooting this pistol. I've never had my slide lock back until I'm out of ammo and then an only then does the slide lock back. I can then release the magazine and insert a new fully loaded magazine and pull back on the slide to release it and start shooting again.

Let us know if you send the gun back and if so then what the factory guys say. Someone else may learn some thing new from your experience.

str8shot

Bearcat
Try shooting left handed
Being a south paw has its draw backs and advantages.
if it don"t lock open left handed chance is your pushing the slide lock under recoil
A friend had an sr40c with a bad spring on the slide lock . the spring slipped off the slide lock.
Which let the slide lock just rattle around .With a little shade tree gun smithing we fixed ( bent ) the spring.

Problem solved

FelixD

Bearcat
I know the thread is a little old, but I've had the experience with my LC9s of the slide locking to the rear, with ammunition in the magazine, for no apparent reason..................I thought. After experiencing slide lock several times over 300 - 500 rounds I finally realized my right thumb was not tight against the frame when I was shooting my LC9s and my thumb was striking the slide stop tab. To offset my performance I cut the slide stop at the curve of the tab. I used a needle file to take the edge off and used cold blue. I left just enough metal on the stop that it sits at 90 degrees to the frame and just far out enough to reach with my thumb if I need to. It worked for me. I shoot the gun now without it going into slide lock, except on an empty magazine. I hope this might help someone.