New 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
I picked up a new 45 late last week. I've been looking for a woods carry piece for small game and turkey season here in PA. One of the areas I frequent has been overrun with wild pigs and I don't want to come across any with nothing more than a shotgun for defense (or offense if a shot presents itself). In PA during hunting season you can only carry one sporting arm on your person while in the field. Since we are not allowed to hunt with semi auto's they are not considered sporting arms, as opposed to revolvers.
I've been on the lookout for a large caliber semi in a field carry size. Found a guy locally selling an M&P 45c for only $300. He bought the thing new a couple years back and only put a box and a half through it and put it in the safe. I disliked the SR and P pistols and my brother carries an M&P shield which I've shot a couple times and liked. I haven't had a chance to get it out to the range yet but will before the end of the week. The trigger is gritty and has some creep but should smooth out some. That seems to be the big knock on these pistols and worst case, I get a nicer upgraded trigger. For the deal I got on it, I don't mind putting a little money into it. It balances really well in my hand and has a great feel. Real nice little pistol. Hopefully I won't need to use it at all, but it's rare anymore to go out where we hunt and not come across some pigs.

Anyone else have one, thoughts?

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
I had a S&W M&P 45C, and I was very happy when I got rid of it. I never liked that gun; the trigger (I thought) was bad out of the box, and even after some work, it was still not very good. If I had to describe that gun in one word, I'd call it "klunky". It also didn't help my opinion that the plastic box it came in fell apart almost immediately.

A few weeks ago I was looking at a Springfield Armory model 1911, and when the dealer said he'd give me $300 for my .45 in trade, it was a done deal. I ended up with a great gun and got rid of a lousy one.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Never owned a M&P and don't remember what the reviews had to say.
Additional thoughts because you asked. After guiding pay hog hunters for many years don't expect 45 round ball ammo to be very effective. Never had any pay hunters to use any other 45 ACP ammo besides the round nose ball. I have seen it used a few times and unless you get a neck spinal shot or brain shot they would shake it off. I saw one barren big, approximately 300 lb, sow shake her head 3 times she was hit in the neck with 3 shots and then she lit out. I would try to find some flat nose hardcast with muzzle velocity as high as you can get it and safely shoot it. Seems like Double Tap or Buffalo Bore makes some but I am not sure.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
To me most semi autos feel klunky, especially the polymer ones. It's more a function over form thing for this gun.

As far as bullet selection, I've given that some the thought and was going to look into heavier lead bullets. One reason I didn't even consider a glock.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
GA Cracker said:
Never owned a M&P and don't remember what the reviews had to say.
Additional thoughts because you asked. After guiding pay hog hunters for many years don't expect 45 round ball ammo to be very effective. Never had any pay hunters to use any other 45 ACP ammo besides the round nose ball. I have seen it used a few times and unless you get a neck spinal shot or brain shot they would shake it off. I saw one barren big, approximately 300 lb, sow shake her head 3 times she was hit in the neck with 3 shots and then she lit out. I would try to find some flat nose hardcast with muzzle velocity as high as you can get it and safely shoot it. Seems like Double Tap or Buffalo Bore makes some but I am not sure.
These are good points relating to wild pigs. I carry an HK usp .45 loaded with .45 super. It's about as hot as you can get with factory ammo, but not recommended for most unmodified pistols. The BB 255 hard cast round are good too. I would let the pig get close to get as much of that 450 lbs. of energy into it as possible.
A long time ago I tried to use my 1911 to dispatch a 150 lb. boar hog that I gimped using standard 230 grain fmj's. It took about 5-6 shots in the chest before it expired. I've also seen a .357 bounce off a big boars head at 40 yards. Underwood makes some nice hot .45 acp loads too.

A friend's Dad works @ DFW Airport as Security. They just got issued brand new S&W M&P 9mm pistols. These guns are GREAT looking, they have nicer triggers than the old ones and the ergonomics are decent.

He needed some engine work done on his car so I financed it for him and took his old G1 Glock 17 in trade. The serial number plate forward of the trigger guard is blued. lol, I found out this thing is OLD. Possibly first production run. Has holster wear but shot very little, I'm thinking only for his qualifications. Other than the slight cosmetic exterior wear, this gun is perfect. I'll have it for sale or trade pretty soon.

I tried the S&W Shield, Ruger LC9s, and Sig P938. The Sig won out as my carry weapon.

The S&W Shield in 9mm. was OK. The .40 cal. version was a nightmare.

I couldn't imagine enjoying the recoil from a .45acp in the package as small as a S&W M&P subcompact, but the full size one shouldn't be any trouble at all, if it's anything like the Glock 21 SF I used to own.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
This is a step up size-wise from the subcompacts. It has a 4'' barrel and weighs about 36 oz with a full mag. Pretty comparable to the glock 21sf, just a tad smaller. I would not want to carry a subcompact in the woods for protection.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
ChiefMuzz said:
...I would not want to carry a subcompact in the woods for protection.
Why is that? Loss of muzzle velocity due to shorter barrel? I carry a Glock 29 10mm in the woods, and it makes for a great hog backup pistol. Easy to carry too and holds 10 rounds.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
planetcat said:
ChiefMuzz said:
Why is that? Loss of muzzle velocity due to shorter barrel? I carry a Glock 29 10mm in the woods, and it makes for a great hog backup pistol. Easy to carry too and holds 10 rounds.

Glocks don't fit my hands well at all with the grip angle. Plus so many 10mm have issues and I'm already have 45s that I shoot. Now specifically for the subcompacts, I have no need to carry concealed so the larger size gives me a better grip and typically better accuracy.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
ChiefMuzz said:
planetcat said:
ChiefMuzz said:

Glocks don't fit my hands well at all with the grip angle. Plus so many 10mm have issues and I'm already have 45s that I shoot. Now specifically for the subcompacts, I have no need to carry concealed so the larger size gives me a better grip and typically better accuracy.
Makes sense. Full sized autos are much more pleasant to shoot too, and have higher capacity mags.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
minimum for me is a G29, G20 is better. 10mm offers better penetration. better yet a bazooka.
Smith makes a fine weapon, just the 45ACP is better for personal defense than hogs, in my opinion.
enjoy the pistol.

ChiefMuzz said:
This is a step up size-wise from the subcompacts. It has a 4'' barrel and weighs about 36 oz with a full mag. Pretty comparable to the glock 21sf, just a tad smaller. I would not want to carry a subcompact in the woods for protection.

Thanks for the info, I have been enlightened a little. In that case, I bet you'll love it!