won't chamber first shell SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grl3348

Bearcat
Brand new SR9C not chambering shell, have to pull slide back a little wiggle gun around and if that won't chamber it I have do drop magazine and start over again. Also has many scratches on circumferance of barrel and 2 slide xcratches on grayed part of barrel. Only a couple of hundred rounds fired, does it need more break in??

websterz

Single-Sixer
What ammo types/brands have you tried? Does this only happen with a full magazine? Try loading about half a mag and see if that helps. New springs and a full magazine can cause lots of drag and can prevent the slide from stripping off the first round.

Mike J

Hunter
I would call Ruger & send it in. Ask for a shipping label. They should do everything on their dime.

Ruger customer service is top notch. It does suck that we have to use them at all, but they handle issues beautifully.

Not going into great detail (you can find the other threads) but every time they have been needed, they have gone above and beyond.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Something else to look for...magazine springs in backwards.
Sometimes it happens at the factory, have seen it with Colt, Ruger, and AMT years ago.
Sometimes it happens when someone cleans a mag and doesn't watch what they're doing during re-assembly. Bought a used CZ and all three mags were that way.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Sometimes it happens at the factory, have seen it with Colt, Ruger, and AMT years ago.
Sometimes it happens when someone cleans a mag and doesn't watch what they're doing during re-assembly. Bought a used CZ and all three mags were that way.

reloader

Single-Sixer

reloader

Single-Sixer

grl3348

Bearcat
I did call ruger Customer Service and they sent me a shipping label, took it to Fed Express drop orr Monday whereasn they didn't sent it out until late Tues and tracking shows ruger received it Thurs. morning and I'm anxiously awaiting a response. Thanks guys for the tips.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Learn about your gun, the exploded pictures, advice from forumss, more than one, also call Ruger CS for help, this way the gun is always with you. Good luck,Lee