SR9 or 9E

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shad

Bearcat
I have the SR9 and really like it. Use it to shoot Steel Challenge at our LGC. Not sure why you'd pick the 9E over the SR9, as it has NON adjustable sights, and only comes with one magazine. But for just a carry gun, should work just as well, as the internals and most everything else is the same.

GKC

Blackhawk
shad said:
Not sure why you'd pick the 9E over the SR9, as it has NON adjustable sights, and only comes with one magazine.

The rear sight is drift adjustable, just not for elevation. I actually prefer the "fixed" sight, myself, and the sight picture on the 9E is just slightly longer, since the sights are flush mounted.

I opted for the 9E since I don't like an LCI, I prefer the blued slide, and it was $100 cheaper (AFTER tax) than the SR9 was (BEFORE tax.) I bought a two-pack of 17 round magazines from Grab-A-Gun for about $40, so if you consider the price of the SR9 after tax, I'm still about $100 ahead with the 9E, plus I end up with three mags, instead of two.

I don't shoot competition, and this gun will be primarily for HD. The internals are all the same as the SR9, so for me, and my purpose, this was the better choice.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
GKC said:
shad said:
Not sure why you'd pick the 9E over the SR9, as it has NON adjustable sights, and only comes with one magazine.

The rear sight is drift adjustable, just not for elevation. I actually prefer the "fixed" sight, myself, and the sight picture on the 9E is just slightly longer, since the sights are flush mounted.

I opted for the 9E since I don't like an LCI, I prefer the blued slide, and it was $100 cheaper (AFTER tax) than the SR9 was (BEFORE tax.) I bought a two-pack of 17 round magazines from Grab-A-Gun for about $40, so if you consider the price of the SR9 after tax, I'm still about $100 ahead with the 9E, plus I end up with three mags, instead of two.

I don't shoot competition, and this gun will be primarily for HD. The internals are all the same as the SR9, so for me, and my purpose, this was the better choice.

Identical evaluation to mine. Plus the 9E doesn't have that stupid pop up loaded chamber thingie. Never did understand why they did that. If someone don't know if one is in the pipe, what the hell are they doing with a gun? It's like the idiot lights on cars. :roll:

gunman42782

Hunter
I much prefer the 9E. I don't like the loaded chamber indicator in the SR9, and honestly other than that there aint a whole lot of difference! Sights are different, serrations are different, and you only get one mag.

gunman42782 said:
I much prefer the 9E. I don't like the loaded chamber indicator in the SR9, and honestly other than that there aint a whole lot of difference! Sights are different, serrations are different, and you only get one mag.

The frame and slide actually match

Joewisc

Bearcat
I had both and prefer the SR9. 80 bucks more but you get a hard case, stainless steel slide, adjustable rear sight, an extra mag and a better-looking gun. Either way you can't go wrong.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
The rear sight of the SR9 is a very well designed unit.

I have trouble seeing the argument of a fixed sight being more durable, drawable, or packable.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
t-reg said:
The rear sight of the SR9 is a very well designed unit.

I have trouble seeing the argument of a fixed sight being more durable, drawable, or packable.
+100. Properly designed and protected (as it is on the SR9) an adjustable rear sight is more than strong and durable enough. The problem with a fixed sight is that it is fixed. If the point of impact isn't right for your eyes or load you are stuck. Why customize your load or hold point when you can customize your sight setting instead?

Al James

Hunter
SR9 all the way for me. The SS slide is a must for me if the gun is going to see any use at all. The SR9 rear sight is very well designed and I much prefer it to the 9E sight. An extra mag with the SR9 is nice but they are cheap enough to add to a 9E. Not knocking the 9E at all. I just happen to like some of the features it lacks.

I was in the "I don't like it" crowd at first in regards to the LCI. However after having them on the SR series guns I have grown to like them for a reason that I did not originally imagine. The wife and I have house guns and car guns here and there in different sizes and calibers but they are all SR series pistols. In a low to no light situation you can pick up any SR pistol and determine its condition by feeling across the top of the slide. I know...I should have a light source to identify my target AND I should know the condition of the weapon going into any situation. But in reality between my wife and I using the same pistols the LCI has come in useful more than once to both of us.

All of my opinions aside....Ruger HAD to introduce the 9E. After all, they discontinued the best $300 dollar 9mm pistol on the market when they ditched the P95 :wink:

welder

Buckeye
Al James said:
All of my opinions aside....Ruger HAD to introduce the 9E. After all, they discontinued the best $300 dollar 9mm pistol on the market when they ditched the P95 :wink:

Agreed.