Older P89 conversion question (UPDATE)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Some while ago I bought a P89dc from one of you guys here... it was the older / 1st year run version and takes a different type magazine.... I sort of missed on this in the add... or did not care at the time.... really can't remember and there are no regrets...

what I'm wondering is if there is a way to convert the older P89 to accept newer P mags?

Since I have a number of P95's, one other P89 and several PC9s it would be nice to add this pistol to the collection that accepts the large and I mean really large number of Ruger factory magazines I own (most are stainless) .. and yes I've heard that Metcar mags will work on both old and new.

The problem seems to be the slide release lever which also seems to be the slide lock part when you come to an empty magazine.... the newer mags will not slide all the way up in the well and latch.... they seem to be hitting on this part and need about a 32nd of and inch more room... now that I write this I'm thinking an alternative solution might be to just take a small part off the magazine on that side... but I really would prefer to modify the pistol.

any help out there?

See my post down below:

roylt

Hunter
The ejector is a different shape on the old units and the mag lip can hit there. Also it is the mag release that is a bit different. My understanding is the hole in the front of the mag is a different height on the old vs new mags. If you have a set of extra mag release "buttons" I would try to modify those and install. You wouldn't need much off to allow the mag to sit lower in the frame.

I also had a newer frame and an old style slide that I mated but it took grinding a slot in the bottom of the slide so the mag lip would clear as the gun cycled.

It can be done and you have options but I would not mod any mags. You know the mags work.

Good luck,

roylt

Hunter
Oh, forgot to mention. The slide stop has nothing to do with it. It never touches the mag but is moved by the mag follower.
I actually like the older slide stop and put these on my newer guns all the time. Don't mod the slide stop either.

The first time I looked it all over.... I thought it was the mag release too... and I think I actually ordered a newer one... but I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the old one off.... seems like I took some spring loose but it still would not come out.

I see that ejectors are different.... but the older one still wiggles when a newer mag is put in and so that is not it seems the problem...

It sure looks to me like the the very top edge of the new magazine is pushed up against the slide release bar.

But you are right the hole on the magazine for the mag release part is slightly higher. but here is what I discovered... if you take the slide off ...newer mags lock inside the frame fine.... so, it seems to me that it is the slide release rod and slide that are causing the problem... but I would rather try to modify the mag release part first by replacing with a new one and maybe modifying it... much easier to got back to original if it don't work... but like I said, I can't get the dern thing out!

roylt

Hunter
Those are hard to pop out. (and get back in) I take the grips off and use a wood dowel to push the spring in and then pry the mag release out. Tape on a flat blade screw driver will help safe guard the frame from scratches.

You could also take the slide stop and pop it out like you are removing the slide and rotate it down by the trigger and then push it back in to hold the gun together. This will allow you to cycle the gun by hand and keep everything together but not lock the slide back. Insert a mag and see if you are still having troubles.

I have a lot on my plate right now and have not been in my shop or looked at a pistol in weeks. Otherwise I would try it and take pictures.

Good luck,

roylt said:
The ejector is a different shape on the old units and the mag lip can hit there. Also it is the mag release that is a bit different. My understanding is the hole in the front of the mag is a different height on the old vs new mags. If you have a set of extra mag release "buttons" I would try to modify those and install. You wouldn't need much off to allow the mag to sit lower in the frame.

I also had a newer frame and an old style slide that I mated but it took grinding a slot in the bottom of the slide so the mag lip would clear as the gun cycled.

It can be done and you have options but I would not mod any mags. You know the mags work.

Good luck,

OR you could sell your OLD P89 and buy a newer model. OR a new SR9E they are on sale right now @ Slick Guns for $249.00...

No work on your end, and you would probably break even.

If I buy a 'new' P89 it will have to be a stainless decock only model... that is all I have in P pistols are decock only ones.... and I'm still stuck on a rule I gave myself years back... Never sell a gun... the problem is two fold... why sell a good gun.... can you besure it will be treated well? If the gun is not 'good' then how do you pass it on? I've got a couple of those.

I have traded a 1911 for another mini-30 to a friend and I did trade another friend an AK47 along with enough parts to build a 2nd one for a AR-15.... I've also got two guns loaned out... one to my brother and the other to another friend....

One of you guys sold me this older stainless P89 and it is really nice... I think I actually like P89s better than P95s.... yes they are hefty but perfect for carrying in the woods and as a 'truck pistol'.

roylt

Hunter
I think a simple few draws of a file over the mag release part and you'll be good to go but do keep us in the loop. I enjoy tinkering on the P-guns.

Bummer

Bearcat
I picked up a 1st year stainless P89 (series 305) a few weeks ago, like new in-box. Local gunshop had it marked $295. I offerred $300 out the door (tax, background, etc) and am now the proud owner of a mint gun. I just received a Ruger mag from brownell's (2 mags aren't enough) and it fits and functions perfectly! My 89 functions as a DC, but is not marked with the DC as is my P97DC. Ruger manual (on-line) says the DC resets automatically like my 97. Did the early 89's need to be reset manually like my S&W 6906 or is my P89 missing a spring or something? :?:

roylt

Hunter
Bummer, You have a safe model that needs reset manually. You can not make it a DC unit by adding anything.

Welcome to the forum.

Bummer

Bearcat
Thanx for the reply, Hunter. whether it's a de-cocker or a safe model I am very happy with the gun, the way it shoots, and the price. I misunderstood. I thought if the lever dropped the hammer onto a block, it de cocked it. It just goes to show that at 73 I'm still not too old to learn. Bought my first Ruger in '63 when I was 21, a Blackhawk .357 mag, then a .22 Mark I Target, .44 mag Dragoon (all bought in the '60's). For the next 20 yrs I focused on other brands - my mistake. I added a P97DC in the early '90's, a Super RedHawks w/9.5 " bbl in .44 mag, :D and more recently my new (old) P89. Most of my non-Ruger's have been sold/traded off, but I still have all of the Ruger's!!!

roylt

Hunter
Hi Bummer,
Your gun does have a decocker on it. The decocker is the safety. On the decock only guns it is basically the same thing but there is a spring that forces the decock lever back up.

Enjoy it.

So far so good... after fighting with the mag latch... man that is one more pain to get out and back in... I measured the difference between the top of the latch hole on the older mags and the newer ones and it is right at 1/2 millimeter... I could not find my calipers and so had to just kind of eyeball the filing down.. used a dermal tool and did what I thought was right... taking some off the top of the part of the latch pin that holds the magazine. Finally got it back together and the new mags lock in now... pistol 'dry' cycles rounds just fine. Next will of course be the real test.... actual live fire... see if it still functions and mags stay in the pistol. Keep your fingers crossed....

roylt

Hunter
Glad you got it working as you like. Hope it functions at the range. I'm pretty sure it will.

Keep the P-guns alive.

Saturday October 17th:

Had to run down to the family farm and visit the mommer in the home and took the modified P89 with me and had time to run to our pond (which is the family shooting range).... I was all ready to have misfires... misfeeds, or the newer magazines at least drop out......

Not one hickup... damn pistol shoots great!... I'd say shooting two handed it was MOH (minute of head) at 75 yards easy.

Damn if it didn't work... the only thing now that I think about it that I didn't check was if the two old magazines I have still work.... I only tried it with new mags.

roylt

Hunter
Just had to lower the mag for clearance. The original mags should be fine too.

Latest posts