First Handgun... Slide problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nikilynn

Bearcat
So, I picked up my first handgun yesterday. Ruger 9E. When you cock it, I can only get it to release with the release switch. I can't do the slingshot (or whatever it's called) motion to get it to retract. I read online that it might be stiff, so I got my husband to try and he can't figure it out either.

Are we missing something obvious here? We're use to shotguns, not handguns so this is a new area for us. Thanks for any help.

nikilynn

Bearcat
Ok. That could be the reason. We haven't even shot it yet, no bullets have been in it yet. In the manual it mentioned being able to safely dry fire it with an empty magazine, which is what we've been doing. We'll try again tomorrow when it's light out. Thanks, figured it was something obvious.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
nikilynn said:
Ok. That could be the reason. We haven't even shot it yet, no bullets have been in it yet. In the manual it mentioned being able to safely dry fire it with an empty magazine, which is what we've been doing. We'll try again tomorrow when it's light out. Thanks, figured it was something obvious.

Ronin is exactly right. Btw, read that part in the manual about dry firing carefully. You don't need to fully retract the slide to dry fire, only enough to reset the trigger/firing mechanism (about 1/2" or a little over) which would not be far enough to engage the slide lock. ( I also own a 9E).

And welcome aboard to you and your husband. :)

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You can sling shot without a mag, pull the slide back with an unloaded mag in place. The slide will lock back, remove the mag and you can practice your slingshot technic. Just don't pull the trigger without reinserting the mag. It seems clunky at first, it's good to get a feel for the gun. Have fun and learn.

nikilynn

Bearcat
Ok, I thought it meant after the inital cock you didn't have to retract it all the way, but you had to the first time. I understand now. Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful! Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow! Thanks for the welcome, appreciate your quick responses!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
nikilynn said:
Ok, I thought it meant after the inital cock you didn't have to retract it all the way, but you had to the first time. I understand now. Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful! Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow! Thanks for the welcome, appreciate your quick responses!

Try to get good grouping of your shots. Some 9E's will shoot a few inches left or right of the point of aim, and since the rear sight is not easily adjustable for windage (and not at all for elevation) you may have to compensate by changing your point of aim. Or have the rear sight adjusted by someone who knows how. :)

Also (and I don't want to get too far ahead of the game) since you said this was your first time with a pistol, you should know that there are many things that are important to proper handling. If you can, take a course from a reputable instructor who can teach you proper grip, stance, etc. I'd also recommend buying an Uplula magazine loader to make loading rounds in the magazine much easier.

There's a wealth of information on this forum, but often a hands on instructor is best. :)

nikilynn

Bearcat
Thank GunnyGene! Great advice. My father in law is a gun collector, who will be over this weekend to help me out. So, I'm in good hands. Just trying to do my research ahead of time so I don't make a complete ass of myself. :D

mohavesam

Hawkeye
nikilynn said:
Thank GunnyGene! Great advice. My father in law is a gun collector, who will be over this weekend to help me out. So, I'm in good hands. Just trying to do my research ahead of time so I don't make a complete ass of myself. :D

Ahem. There is no such thing as a stupid question, when you're handling a deadly weapon. Ask away!

For what it's worth.... I've found that guns really don't handle well or right while empty.... if you are not used to the gun or guns then it is even worse....

I've found that some dummy rounds in the caliber you need helps with this.... they are usually called snap caps... you load the plastic rounds in the magazine and then you can both dry fire and cycle the weapon by hand to see if things work right... not the ultimate test but nice to try.