To modify or not to modify?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It seems like quite a few members here have replaced significant portions of their firearms with aftermarket parts? Not just minor pieces, but, fire control mechanisms and such.

Does Ruger really build that bad of a gun?

What's wrong with the stock Ruger parts?
If it's that terrible, why not purchase a different gun altogether?

Just a thought...

Jim Puke

Hunter
They may have had the experience with Ruger, that you have had with Kimber, Colt and Rock Island.

All guns are not good.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have a fair amount of pistols that have been modified by me or some others with better gunsmithing skills than I. They are range guns for various types of target shooting. I have added sights and so on to non range guns but I don't play with the fire controls of those pistols.

I do roll my eyes when some think they know more than the guys that designed the gun in the first place.

...and they always put up such a sensible argument for what they have done. :D

Some folks just like to make things more better.... for me the only firearms I've ever modified is Ruger's 10/22's.... cheap enough to own more than one and that way you have something to compare to when you get confused trying to put it back together.

I once took the trigger group apart on a Sig pistol... took me over 8 hours over 3 days and some help from folks here to figure out how to get it all back together... I think I had to make a special tool to do it.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
All Mine must be abnormal, they are all 100% stock with the exception of grips on my black hawk and single six , swapped the plastic for the ruger wooden grips. none of them have ever been back to Ruger, My MK II did go to the smith for some minor tuning after about 25000+ rds. They all work great, shoot even better, and have never had any ammo or firing issues that were not directly related to bad ammo. Am I doing something wrong?

Jim Luke said:
They may have had the experience with Ruger, that you have had with Kimber, Colt and Rock Island.

All guns are not good.

Some guns are not good?
NOT all guns are good?

Otherwise, I agree with you fully.

I'll also agree that l don't know more than the manufacturer, thus don't feel I "can do it better" than them.

I've read several posts where people loaded their guns up (not just Rugers) with aftermarket parts, right off the bat, then complain when the gun doesn't work.

Maybe it would have worked fine prior to playing with it.

The reason for the rust on his Colt 1911 would be debatable I guess. The way colt handled that situation was very admirable. I would buy a colt.

The Kimber 1911 was officer frame with commander slide (compact stainless) it was an oddball chambered in .40 cal. It was a Pre-2 series. It had a LOT of feeding issues. I sold it cheap with full disclosure. I probably wouldn't buy another Kimber.

The 2 Rock Island subcompacts had issues from the word GO. The way the company handled it left a lot to be desired. They accidentally returned one of my guns to another customer. I had to wait for them to get it back before they could ship it back to me. Sold them both when they came back. Probably wouldn't buy another RIA.

blume357 said:
Some folks just like to make things more better.... for me the only firearms I've ever modified is Ruger's 10/22's.... cheap enough to own more than one and that way you have something to compare to when you get confused trying to put it back together.

I once took the trigger group apart on a Sig pistol... took me over 8 hours over 3 days and some help from folks here to figure out how to get it all back together... I think I had to make a special tool to do it.

Ahh, the good-ole paperclip trick.

DGW1949

Hunter
"Re: To modify or not to modify?".......
Of course ya have to modify stuff....just ask the tacticool guys, whom I'm perty-sure includes most AR and 1911 owners these days. :lol: .

DGW

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Some folks modify them looking for a solution to a non-existent problem they read about on the internet. Some are like their triggers and grips a very specific way, some just like to tinker. Lots of reasons, but it seems like most folks want the gun to operate the way they like it and out of the box isn't always perfect.

My original post was tounge in cheek. It was not to indicate any issue with Ruger firearms, but rather the problem with people "fixing what ain't broke"

Rugers are great.

I like all the great points here! :-D

I suppose it's ok to modify stuff, to an extent, or for a given reason. In my early years, I gave a trigger job to a S&W mod. 64 (4 inch tapered) I miss that gun sometimes...

Mike J

Hunter
I'm kind of torn by this thread. Several years ago I decided to pick up a Kel-Tec P-11 to use an inexpensive carry piece. I read threads on another forum about how owners had modified them to better suit their purposes. I decided to change mine. I actually wound up improving it to the point that it wouldn't function. I wound up replacing some parts & changing some things back.

I am still guilty at times of wanting to make things better but for the most part I leave my carry pistols alone other than grips & sights. I may wind up changing some things on my SR 1911 but if I do it will have plenty of rounds put through it to verify function before it is carried.

Cholo

Staff member
Some people just love to dick around with their guns, usually semi-autos. My favorites are those that buy these super wizz/bang gizmos and do the work themselves. Then they come on here asking us WTF went wrong :mrgreen:

tinman

Buckeye
I have yet to buy a gun that did not get something changed. Could be something as involved as getting some grips built or reconfigured to fit my hand better or as minor as installing better sights or recoil pad. Along those same lines, I have never bought a vehicle that did not get something changed.....because it worked better........for me. An example...my carry guns, both on and off duty, have gotten new sights. Why? Because I buy better stuff than the factory versions. I also use the same sights on both guns so there is no learning (or re-learning) curve. Likewise on a new vehicle, as soon as I get sufficient miles on the factory tires, they are replaced with what I consider a superior product. To my truck I have added the aforementioned better tires, mud-guards, vent-visors, better lightbulbs, etc. Was there anything wrong with the truck as it came off the showroom floor?
Nope.....and there was nothing inherently wrong with any of my guns. I just made them work better .........for me. :idea:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The urge to modify certainly isn't, limited to Rugers. There is an entire industry based on modifying 1911's and a huge number of aftermarket parts available for Glocks and S&W M&P's.

And don't forget the esteemed AR15 rifle... the Barbie Doll of guns... more aftermarket parts than anyone can count.... Actually just to say we gun dudes might be a bunch of girls with holsters.... that is probably the fun of it....

Mike J

Hunter
blume357 said:
And don't forget the esteemed AR15 rifle... the Barbie Doll of guns... more aftermarket parts than anyone can count.... Actually just to say we gun dudes might be a bunch of girls with holsters.... that is probably the fun of it....

I have thought about making some changes to mine but I believe I want to take a class first. I believe that would probably let me know what I should change & what I should leave alone.